Anyone trying to loose weight for military?

Options
I'm joining the Navy and am interested in knowing if anyone else on here is:) we could help each other out !

Replies

• kristy0614
    Options
    That is an awesome goal and reason to lose weight! You can definitely do it. :)
  • deannabanana16
    Options
    Thank you :) gotta stay motivated!
  • kelbwjax
    kelbwjax Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm not in the military, but my husband is a SGT in the army and he is putting together a program for his soldiers in order to help with weight-loss and passing their PT tests. This consists of the C25k program, which is great for both building endurance and weight-loss. (I'm doing it myself) and he also has some at home strength training exercises for soldiers that may not have access to a gym.
  • deannabanana16
    Options
    That's awesome! I'm trying to look for some at home things to do because I also don't have access to a gym. I'm trying to keep up with my running though.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I'm not in the military either but my youngest daughter is in the Army & stationed in Germany. She's coming off of maternity leave & needs to lose 13 lbs. to pass her PT's. My suggestion to her was to go on a low carb (20 - 50 carbs per day) & gluten free. Eliminate grains such as wheat, rice (including brown) soy & corn for maximum benefits, no more than 1500-2000 mg of sodium per day, avoid sugar & sugar substitutes (as much as you can this one has been a challenge for me as well) including honey & agave, no soda's & avoid starchy foods like potatoes & carrots. Well... that's pretty extreme I know but it works & it works fast. Here are some substitutes I use: Stevia, Truvia, raw coconut crystals for sweeteners, Cauliflower in place of potatoes for most potato recipes, Zevia, Honest Fizz zero calorie soda & R.W. Knudsen Zero calorie Spritzer's in place of sodas b/c they're sweetend w/stevia &/or erythritol. I also indulge in raw nut's, full fat cheese's & berries. Canteloupe's, Honey dew, Kiwi's & papaya's are also low in carbs as far as eating fruits. Avoid banana's & oranges & fruit juices as they cause belly bloat even the one's that are 100% natural or organic. This is'nt all the info I have but just something to think about & are foods that are easy to digest. If you can't do w/o them just limit them dramaticly for good, like they say everything in moderation. Here's where I get my recipe inspirations from:
    www.yourlighterside.com, www.genaw.com, www.IbreatheImhungry.com, www.againstallgrain.com just to name a few... good luck!:flowerforyou:
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention workout's, lol. I like Tae Bo w/ Billy Blanks & have a bootcamp DVD, anything Jillian Michaels, C25k & weight lifting. Any combo or one of those shuold work well.
  • wicklesswarrior
    wicklesswarrior Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm in the army :-) I've got 17 lbs to go before I get down to my Max weight without being taped.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Army Reserves, circa 2015.
  • newman84
    newman84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm in the Army reserves. I've got about 4 lbs to loose to not get taped. Ultimate goal is 24 lbs from where i'm at now.
  • BigRedgw2010
    BigRedgw2010 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am a Marine, and I have been in for 23 yrs and counting.

Welcome to the Armed Forces!
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken with the recruiter to identify what the PT requirements are? That could be a starting point.

I have seen plenty of people on here trying to loose weight to join the military...My other advice...Go Air Force :)

USAF, Retired!! :)
  • Ender126
    Ender126 Posts: 44
    Options
    I'm joining the Navy and am interested in knowing if anyone else on here is:) we could help each other out !

I'm currently an Information Systems Technician 2nd Class Petty Officer in the USN. I've been in 5 1/2 years. Ask me anything and I'll try to help you out or point you in the right direction!
  • kelbwjax
    kelbwjax Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I'm trying to look for some at home things to do because I also don't have access to a gym. I'm trying to keep up with my running though.

I do C25k on the treadmill, but its also able to be done outside, and if its not very nice outside you can always take your cardio inside. There are tons of different types of cardio that you can integrate together for a great workout. But don't forget to work on strength as well the more muscle built the less room for fat. As for diet instead changing your diet just to loose weight, try to change your diet to something you can stick with for a lifetime. Combine the right proteins carbs and fats. I usually go with chicken/fish/tuna/salmon/any lean meat with lots of green veggies and brown rice or some other type of carbs, fruits for dessert if needed.There are so many combinations to make, and plenty of seasoning so it never gets old, and tastes great. And lots of water!
  • Mtfd02
    Mtfd02 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm full time National Guard and I do have some programs that I use for my troops that are over on weight or trouble with the pt test, I have lost 20 lbs since Novemberish and currently working out doing hockey, Insanity, and running 5k's, 10k's, and I am doing my first 10 miler this saturday April 20th!

feel free to add me or anybody can and along with the other mfp'ers can keep you going to help reach your goals!
  • teetee1281
    teetee1281 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    I'm in the Navy, this summer will be 11 years. I just had a baby, so I have 6 months to get back into weight/BF standards and improve my scores again. Feel free to add me, we both are in the same boat but just coming from different paths.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I spent 5 years in the Navy. I got out in 2008 because of an ankle injury. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. I'm also currently within the weight limit (by a good bit) even though I'm still trying to lose weight. You can send me a friend request if you want.
  • joyjay4fun
    joyjay4fun Posts: 160
    Options
    I'm not Navy but I am Air Force and I would be happy to help out too if you need friends for support or advice. Good luck to you. I have a lot of close friends in the Navy, hopefully you will enjoy as much as they do. :-)
  • Brownie_Slayer
    Options
    Good luck!

I graduated high school in 09 at 225 lbs at 6 foot 1. I wanted to join the AF since I was a kid and according to them that wasn't acceptable. Lost 25 lbs within the two months before MEPS (needed to be under 208) and in Basic I lost another 25. Left in the best shape of my life but was mostly skin and bones. This is definently a lifestyle change and I didn't follow through. It took 3 years but it caught up to me. Back at 225 but this time it's a mixture of fat and muscle. Looking to get back to the point that I don't have to pull out my hair worrying about a PT test!
  • Brownie_Slayer
    Options
    Have you spoken with the recruiter to identify what the PT requirements are? That could be a starting point.

I have seen plenty of people on here trying to loose weight to join the military...My other advice...Go Air Force :)

USAF, Retired!! :)

Agree on all counts! Navy would have been my second joice :P
  • lishaalexis
    lishaalexis Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I am in the Navy, and I have the instruction right in front of me since we are starting our PRT weigh ins today. Just message me.
  • lishaalexis
    lishaalexis Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Also, I can give you the different work outs that we do that help keep us in weight. Also if you want to know anything about bootcamp (basically clear up anything that isn't clear) please don't hesitate to ask. Hope to hear fromyou soon. Also, if you want you can add me.