Excersising through pain, i need support!

Options
I am 26years old, 250lbs with four kiddos! I realize I had a real problem during my 4th pregnancy when I ended up with diabetes. After I had my daughter who is now 3, diabetes went away so I pretty much forgot about my health again. A year ago this month I was doing yard work and bent over and had worse pain of my life go from my back to my toes. I couldn't stand straight and ended up in hospital. I ended up with 2 bulge discs and a torn ligament from it. I ended up being told last week the only thing left to do was surgery, but its very high risk with my weight and there's always chance of paralyzing me with back surgery. Something clicked. I am only on second day of walking. I am hurting so bad. Anyone else have any pain they are working through? Could really use some support !

Replies

• gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Anytime you do any kind of exercise that you normally don't do you will have soreness. I started Jillian Michaels no more trouble zones and I could barely walk or sit. It last a few days but once you get over this hump you should be fine. However if it doesn't subside you might have to have it checked out
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    please google the story of Jim Obley. It is the most inspiring success story I've found and it all revolved around walking.:flowerforyou:
  • shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    When I started exercising I was about 250lbs and probably 26 years old. I had an ankle injury that had ailed me for a long time that I used as an excuse to not exercise. I know how it feels to exercise through the pain. You should be really proud of yourself! Don't think about exercising through the pain, think about the fact that you're exercising DESPITE the pain!
    Go you!!! You can do this!!!
  • gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have muscle and joint pains that i'm working through too and I can tell you from my personal experience...that it gets better. I'm down almost 60 and I've begun running again and I can do it for long periods of time without serious joint and back pain and when I wake up in the mornings...i'm not hurting as bad as I used too... :) FR sent!
  • miss_adriennej
    miss_adriennej Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! First I want to congratulate you on your decision to get healthy :) I too am learning to exercise through pain. I have Multiple Sclerosis, and deal with a lot of nerve pain and other sensory issues that don't feel too good. Though it's not really the same thing, I feel your pain. Pun intended, ha! From March 2011 to December 2011, I lost 70lbs. While I was going through the process of being diagnosed, my MS started messing with my metabolism. I've gained about 30lbs back, but I am restarting Insanity but it's a whole different experience now with my symptoms. Have you spoken with your doctor about what exercise is best with your injury?
  • KristyAnn81
    KristyAnn81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I know how it feels to work out with a chronic pain problem (and then made worse because your body is adjusting to the exercise). It is awful and hurts so much it makes you want to give up, but if you put your health above the pain you can overcome anything and losing the weight will help it! I lost 30 pounds a year ago and got off track, but starting anew now. I'm flipping off my pain and telling it to buzz off. :)
  • johnnlinda
    Options
    Hi, Yes I also have to work through the pain. I need surgery on my knee and shoulder (Torn) I also was told I have 2 discs that are bulging, that was 6 years ago. I workout a lot and they rarely give me pain anymore. I pushed through it and it actually seems to help with the pain after a while. I just started weight training and I am finding certain lifts hurt a lot. I just do what I can. Everyone is different, I refused back surgery and I am happy I did. You will find once the weight comes off, you will have less pain. Good luck and if you ever need to talk I am on daily. ;)
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just recently started to have major back pain. It started on Saturday and Sunday I could barely stand up. Went to urgent care yesterday and he gave me a muscle relaxer and pain meds. He is hoping it is just inflammation. Uhhh!!! I have never been in this much pain before and can't imagine having to go through this pain a lot. I am just relaxing and resting (of course working still) hoping it will heal. He said if it hasn't healed in a couple days to come back in and they will do some testing. Sorry to hear you are going through all that pain. I can empathize with you, though you may be having more pain than me. I guess I wouldn't suggest any hard activity. I would keep your activity minimal. Take that dog for a nice long walk though :) And try to start eating all healthy foods and maybe you will shed some pounds. Who knows after you lose the weight you want to, maybe your back will fully heal? Good luck!!
  • jznvz819
    jznvz819 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Have you considered trying water exercises or chair exercises. Not knowing the severity of your pain, I can only imagine how walking would not be the best for your. I have arthritis in both hips and it is quite painful to walk for more than a few minutes. I started water aerobics and what a difference! I am able to do things in the water that I could never do on a hard surface. It has really been a life saver for my weight loss program as well as my mental state. There are also some great exercises you can do sitting in a chair. Just search on the internet. Try searching on "chair exercises for seniors". Though your not a senior, they give some great exercises.

Most of all, don't give up !

God Bless You,

Janet
  • Sabrina8338
    Options
    Back pain was a major reason/excuse I used to not exercise. It hurt like hell when I tried to do it and then it hurt for a few days after, so I kept not doing/avoiding it for a few days. Once I felt better I would give it a go again, but of course I ran into the same cycle. I found the easiest way to get myself into it without feeling awful each time was short bursts. Walk for an hour but in 15-minute bursts. When you start out you are more likely to be able to handle 15 minutes of a harder workout than 60 minutes of a lack luster attempt which leaves you in pain and not wanting to do it again. Finding time for 15 minutes bursts was a lot easier too than trying to find a full hour of free time. With kids, I’m sure that may be true for you as too.

Personally though, walking was the hardest thing for me to do with my body. I found I did much better on an elliptical machine or an Arc trainer. They allowed me to move my body without the thudding impact on my knees, hips and lower back. After a month using the machines I found walking was much more enjoyable and I could do an hour or more without worry of adding pain.

Sadly, pain is always going to be in your head while doing this. I feared certain things, avoided others and it hasn’t helped me at all. I’ve finally decided to at least attempt new things; again in short bursts first, but to at least try. My first big new thing was a step class….let me tell you how I hurt doing it, but I did it. I stayed at level 1 the whole time, took short breaks when I needed to just marching in place and went back at it again. Tomorrow will be the 5th class and I really can’t wait to go. It is actually a lot of fun once you get into it and time flies by. I can do the hour in the class and still handle the elliptical for an hour as well.

It takes time, sweat and tears but you will get there. Take it slow, but push a little harder each time and you will get your body to give into what you know is best for it.
  • DanielleKMoore
    DanielleKMoore Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I started exercising on January 15th, I was 229lbs and now I am down to 204lbs. I have a lot more to go, but its 25lbs lighter than I was! Anyway I said all that to say that I had an ankle injury back in high school, where I broke my ankle so bad that my bone was sticking out of my skin and I had to have surgery to have pins & rods permanently placed in my ankle. To this day, it still bothers me. In fact in January, I fell and sprain my ankle. I ended up having a moderately-serve ankle sprain which still hurts. I let it ailed me for a long time and I used it as an excuse to not exercise. I know how it feels to exercise through the pain. It hurts like Hell! But YOU should be really proud of yourself! Don't think about exercising through the pain, think about the fact that you're exercising DESPITE the pain! You can do this!!! We can do this!!! Feel free to friend me!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I had to lose quite a bit of weight before I could even think about exercise, I am now doing swivel chair exercises and walking weather permitting. But, it's still painful. Walking hurts my knees plus I have unexplained abdominal pain that is aggravated when I walk. But, sitting and swiveling doesn't seem to hurt much at all, it makes my knees twingy at times, but not to the point it hurts like walking does. But, I would still rather walk cuz fresh air and I take my dog with me.

I second the suggestion of water aerobics because when I did that it was a lot of fun and didn't even feel like exercise.
  • oX_Vanessa_Xo
    Options
    Im 26 with 4 kids too and I have sciatica and rheumatoid arthritis. I've alwayd used pain as an excuse not to work out, which
    Lead me to gain up to 220lbs! ENOUGH I said! I can't magically snap my fingers and hope one day I'll wake up 50 lbs
    Lighter. 2 weeks now I push through the pain and exercise and eat right and I went from 220 to 213 in two weeks
    And you know what? The pain I've been dealing with for the last 6 years is hardly there!