Help me disect this menu

Options
Heading out tonight to celebrate my in-laws anniversary. Attached is the menu, but there is no nutritional infomation available for this restaurant. Please help me choose the best option. I have about 800 calories to play with.

http://0101.nccdn.net/1_5/1e3/238/0d5/Lily-s-Dining-Delights-May2012.pdf

Replies

• askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Wow, very pretty menu... lots of yummy choices!

Personally I would get the Pomegranate Spinach Salad as my starter (helps with the appetite a bit, and is fairly healthy), then the 10oz Grilled Strip loin dinner (personally no mushrooms). As soon as the meal comes then I cut everything in half and only eat half of it. Remember everything in moderation! You may go a little over your allotted 800 calories, but I doubt it will be by much. The part that will kill you with my selections is going to be the sauces/dressings that are used.

Keep in mind I have not used the calculator at all, it is all based on research and previous experience with difficult menus such as this.

Great job trying to plan ahead, that is going to help with your success!
  • mrsfoster102613
    mrsfoster102613 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Just a quick analysis from my personal point of view:

Appetizers:

Tomato bruschetta (limit the bread intake)
    Mussels (it doesn’t mention they have butter, so this could be a lighter choice, too)

Salads (ask for the dressing on the side so you can control the intake):

Pomegranate Spinach Salad
    Pear & Walnut Salad (go easy on the goat cheese but a little is okay!)
    Thai Fusion Salad (maybe skip the fried chow mien noodles)
    Paradise Salad (careful with the candied almonds if they load them on)

Dining Delights:

Citrus Dill Salmon (ask for citrus dill butter on the side)
    Bay of Fundy Seafood Medley (ask for lemon dill cream on side and consider having the seafood served over veggies instead of pasta or ask for whole wheat)
    Portobello Ragout (ask for brown rice if possible and just go easy on the bread)
  • mrsfoster102613
    Options
    :smile: P.S. It all sounds yummy. Enjoy yourself and don't be too hard on yourself for whichever choice you make.
  • laraghdooley
    laraghdooley Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Yes, I was thinking of getting one of the salads.. and asking for a grilled chicken breast. Or, going with a wrap (turkey or chicken with no mayo) and having a side salad. I am really bad at estimating calories though.
  • mrsfoster102613
    Options
    Thank you. Yes, I was thinking of getting one of the salads.. and asking for a grilled chicken breast. Or, going with a wrap (turkey or chicken with no mayo) and having a side salad. I am really bad at estimating calories though.

With 800 calories, I think you can splurge more than that (if you want to). You can always try creating a recipe on MFP using the main ingredients they have listed to get a ball park idea of what you're working with. I do this a lot of the time when I go out to eat.

Alos, it seems like it's a pretty nice restaurant, so don't be afraid to make special requests. If you want your food cooked with olive oil instead of butter, ask. If you want veggies instead of pasta or rice, ask. Most restaurants will be more than happy to satisfy special requests, just make them clear. I worked as a server and bartender for many years, and I never minded special requests (as long as the guest clearly indicated what they wanted).
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    800 calories is quite a bit to play with. I would def look at those recommendations from the others! Have a great time. :)