Chinese Food; Healthy or No?

Options
2»

Replies

• HeaDak3
    HeaDak3 Posts: 32
    Options
    I can't stop eating my general tso's and brown rice, which has some saturated fat... which isn't the best for when you wanna burn fat off, but if you make healthy choices, I think you can manage it
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Moo Goo Gai Pan. Or Beef with Broccoli. Yum.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I stay away from the fried stuff and usually get chicken and mixed veggies in garlic or oyster sauce. Still not the absolute healthiest, but I get it from a place that is MSG-free and doesn't soak everything in oil.

If you have the right leftovers, making your own "fried" rice with brown rice and maybe a bit of sesame oil is sooooooo goood and you can keep it fairly healthy.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Chinese food is not 'bad' for you. It however high in sodium, so keep that in mind when you step on the scale. However, If you order something that is not fried, avoid dipping sauces and go easy on the rice, you'll be fine.
  • ac7ss
    ac7ss Posts: 15
    Options
    Most takeout and buffet fare is not good; deep fried, starchy, salty, MSG (if you have a problem with that), and who knows what else.

It is doable, but you have to watch what it is that you are getting.

Stir Fry is great, if you do it yourself, as it uses little oil and does not overcook things.
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Your best bet for Chinese food is to cook it yourself!! Restaurant fare tend to go overboard with the salt and sauces and oils... Your sodium and calorie count would be off the charts! Chinese food is still healthy because it's usually with some veg!

Google chinese food and cook them yourself! Real easy, start with stir fry dishes! All you need is some garlic/onion/ginger, soy sauce, olive oil (or oil of your choice) and your favorite veg! Oyster sauce, sesame oil, mirin, salt in moderation to spice things up! A little stock powder/five spice powder/seasoning... Cooking yourself is good because you know what goes into your food!

^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^. I make mine at home. I want to know what's in my food and how it's prepared. I make oriental quite often with loads of veggies and a protein like lean chicken, pork or beef.
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    Real Chinese food is healthy. I learned from living near Chinatown and from my Chinese and foodie friends, that many Chinese restaurants have separate menus that cater for their Chinese customers. These food items are nothing like "American Chinese Fare" such as General Tso and Sweet and Sour Chicken. I spent some time in Beijing this past December. The food we ate was not what many Americans associate with Chinese food. Lots of steamed goodies, vegetables, nothing super oily, fried and battered. With that being said, many restaurants do offer non fried/non batter options. Steam chicken, shrimp, vegetables. You can always get the sauces on the side.

Sodium is very much a staple in Chinese cuisine so just keep that in mind.
  • MtnGirl525
    Options
    I stay away from the fried stuff and usually get chicken and mixed veggies in garlic or oyster sauce. Still not the absolute healthiest, but I get it from a place that is MSG-free and doesn't soak everything in oil.

If you have the right leftovers, making your own "fried" rice with brown rice and maybe a bit of sesame oil is sooooooo goood and you can keep it fairly healthy.

Oyster sauce has a ton of sugar in it. I learned this the hard way when trying to pull together a quick dinner. Instead, try to punch up your flavor by using a combo of strong, or pungent flavors of which you only have to use a little.... toasted sesame oil, sambal (hot garlic chili paste), and low sodium soy sauce (in moderation). You can also boost the flavor of your dish with fresh flavors... fresh hot chilies, shiitake mushrooms, sliced green onions, and fresh garlic and ginger. All will add complexity without blowing your diet.