Fat intake high, but calories low. Is that okay?

I am always over in fat because I was advised to eat healthy fats like nuts and avocados to control my appetite, so I am doing that, but am always way over in my fat intake for the day. I am able to usually stay under my calorie goal, since I upped it to 1370 anyway. Will it slow my weight loss down to have a high "healthy" fat diet?

Replies

• breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    My personal opinion (and it's opinion only :smile: ) is that as long as they are healthy fats like you said, avocados and what not, it shouldn't be a problem. Things like avocados are clean, unprocessed foods.
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    How many grams of fat are you eating a day? Personally I feel my best when I eat more (healthy) fats. All I have is that anecdotal evidence. I have more energy, feel less hungry, and seem to lose weight better. I love avocados, nuts, and seeds, and I cook with coconut oil and olive oil. I have my macros set on here to get 30% of calories from fat and it has never caused me any problems.
  • It wont slow your progress since you are still in your calorie range. Ever notice how when you have eggs for breakfast you can be set for the morning but when you eats a bagel you are starving 2 hours later? Since your body takes longer to digest the fats your body doesn't get the glucose/insulin spikes that make you hungry and sleepy and thus easier to stick to your calories. Also, since your diet is so fat-heavy rather than carb heavy, once your body uses the glucose from the carb digestion it moves onto dietary fat. You should be fine, I've done diets where I eat nothing but fats and protien and I was able to drop the 15 pounds I wanted to lose after changing jobs (yay for transitions from field work to a cubicle).
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    My personal opinion (and it's opinion only :smile: ) is that as long as they are healthy fats like you said, avocados and what not, it shouldn't be a problem. Things like avocados are clean, unprocessed foods.

I agree with this.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    I'm having a similar problem. Every time I get enough protein for the day, I'm over my limit in fat. I try to make lean choices but still can't find the balance.
  • JannaJ02
    JannaJ02 Posts: 35 Member
    For what it's worth, the trainer that I see really recommends eating healthy fats like avocados and nuts, like you said, so long as I stay under my calorie goal.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    As long as you eat enough protein (ideally 1g per pound of lean body mass but 1g per kg of body weight is acceptable) being over on fat is fine. Fats and protein should be viewed as minimum values so it's fine to go over. Carbs are unnecessary so you don't have to worry about eating enough. Some people do low carb, some people find their exercise suffers if they keep carbs to low, do what works for you.

For information of setting your macro target, go here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I am always over in fat because I was advised to eat healthy fats like nuts and avocados to control my appetite, so I am doing that, but am always way over in my fat intake for the day. I am able to usually stay under my calorie goal, since I upped it to 1370 anyway. Will it slow my weight loss down to have a high "healthy" fat diet?

dietary fat doesn't make you fat. My fat target is 30% of my calories...but I'm usually somewhere between 30-35%. My macros are set to 40c/30p/30f...very balanced.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    It's fine, overall calories is what really matters. If you find yourself hungry then you may want to replace some of those calories with more protein and fiber.
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    You're running 50% calories from fat. This is much too high for good health, especially because you're not reaching your protein needs.

As Russell said, protein and fiber will keep you satisfied without affecting your health.
  • My pie chart seems backwards. Last week i was at 47% fat, 31% Protein, 22% Carbs. I'm also having a hard time keeping my fat numbers down.