Quit coffee, is green tea better?

Options
I was a huge huge coffee addict up until 3 days ago. I was a medium double double. Doing what I can to consume
Better so I cut the coffee out which is HUGE for me. I still need something hot to sip on so now I drink
Green tea with the smallest amount of sugar. About 3 or 4 cups a day. Is this change going to contribute to me losing
Weight?

Replies

• dluce2569
    dluce2569 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    No, actually I read that if you switch your coffee out for green tea, that you could lose 10lbs in a year. It helps you lose weight, some take green tea supplements to aid in weight loss. Coffee isn't bad for you and has antioxidants, but green tea has much more health benefits. Great choice. I drink both....can't seem to give either up!
  • missebees
    missebees Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Coffee can be good for you if it's organic, but green tea is always a better option. Switching from coffee to green tea is among the best things you can do for your body! Normally, when people buy "coffee" the nutrients are no longer in the coffee do to the brewing process and it's also packed with sugars to make it taste better. Green tea should be sipped as is and is not nearly as gross as drinking coffee as is. Also, coffee has much more caffeine than green tea, which isn't good for our bodies in mass amounts. Tea has enough to keep you satisfied without indulging yourself. I prefer a cup of water and an apple, but that's just me. :P
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Is this change going to contribute to me losing
    Weight?

No...but maintaining a reasonable calorie deficit will.

Coffee or tea have nothing to do with it. There are actually quite a few health benefits of both...but neither have one single thing to do with losing weight. In RE to reports that you could lose xx Lbs per year if you stop drinking coffee...this is largely due to the fact that people frequently turn a 5 calorie cup of coffee into a 250 calorie beverage with all the added ****. When they stop, they inadvertently cut calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Coffee can be good for you if it's organic, but green tea is always a better option. Switching from coffee to green tea is among the best things you can do for your body! Normally, when people buy "coffee" the nutrients are no longer in the coffee do to the brewing process and it's also packed with sugars to make it taste better. Green tea should be sipped as is and is not nearly as gross as drinking coffee as is. Also, coffee has much more caffeine than green tea, which isn't good for our bodies in mass amounts. Tea has enough to keep you satisfied without indulging yourself. I prefer a cup of water and an apple, but that's just me. :P

What the heck coffee are you drinking....mine is a straight up coffee bean...they didn't pack any sugars into my coffee bean.
  • oX_Vanessa_Xo
    Options
    Is this change going to contribute to me losing
    Weight?

No...but maintaining a reasonable calorie deficit will.

Coffee or tea have nothing to do with it. There are actually quite a few health benefits of both...but neither have one single thing to do with losing weight. In RE to reports that you could lose xx Lbs per year if you stop drinking coffee...this is largely due to the fact that people frequently turn a 5 calorie cup of coffee into a 250 calorie beverage with all the added ****. When they stop, they inadvertently cut calories.

Of course I know that. Im also eating small snacks throughout the day instead of hardly eating and binging
    Out, making much healthier choices in what I consume and working out at least an hour a day. I just don't feel
    The need to include that in all my posts.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    What are you putting into your coffee and what are you putting into your tea.

Both tea and coffee are high in antioxidants and have different beneficial properties.

Both have caffeine and a slight diuretic effect.

There is nothing wrong with black coffee if you have a couple cups of day. It's just when you are drinking so much if affects your mood or sleep.

But if you feel better than keep it up.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I was a huge huge coffee addict up until 3 days ago. I was a medium double double. Doing what I can to consume
    Better so I cut the coffee out which is HUGE for me. I still need something hot to sip on so now I drink
    Green tea with the smallest amount of sugar. About 3 or 4 cups a day. Is this change going to contribute to me losing
    Weight?

No. Maintaining a consistent calorie deficit will contribute to your weight loss. Green tea while being somewhat healthy for you is so seriously overrated. Honey...enjoy your cup of coffee in the morning, log it in your diary, stay in your calorie goal. Giving up coffee is not necessary for weight loss! :drinker:
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    caffeine is an appetite suppressant, so I'd say yes, it does help.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    In RE to reports that you could lose xx Lbs per year if you stop drinking coffee...this is largely due to the fact that people frequently turn a 5 calorie cup of coffee into a 250 calorie beverage with all the added ****. When they stop, they inadvertently cut calories.

This was me! Half & Half, Sugar AND Raspberry syrup every single morning!!

Now I drink coffee with a lighter milk (either skim, 2% or almond depending on what's on hand) and sugar-free flavor syrups for the day-to-day.

I love green tea too and drink it in the afternoon, it has helped keep me away from the office vending machine so yeah, it's helping me lose, in a way...
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Never going to give up coffee. I drink it black or with a tiny bit of stevia. It isn't packed full of sugar and doesn't kill my calories. I could see how it would be a problem if you got the "fancy" drink from a coffee shop all the time but plain coffee is fine. Green tea is a good drink too.. so just drink what you want.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I drink both on a daily basis... I also don't use any sugars/creamers..so yes I drink my coffee black with stevia..as well as my green tea.

I find that both make me feel "full"..both have antioxidants. It really depends on how much you consume and what you put in it.

I wouldn't quit either..I love them both =)
  • Its_All_Gongfu
    Its_All_Gongfu Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Weight?

No. Maintaining a consistent calorie deficit will contribute to your weight loss. Green tea while being somewhat healthy for you is so seriously overrated. Honey...enjoy your cup of coffee in the morning, log it in your diary, stay in your calorie goal. Giving up coffee is not necessary for weight loss! :drinker:

THIS!!! :love:
  • Hodgie12345
    Hodgie12345 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking coffee on 21st December 2011, along with alcohol in order to help me stop smoking. Since then I have drunk nothing but green tea. I think I feel 'cleaner' - nit sure how to explain it. But for me it was the best thing ever. I actually went through different stages of leaving the tea bag in or making a pot and letting it go cold, but for me the best it to make it and only leave the tea bag in the hot water for a about one minute. It means you get flavour but not the 'bitterness'. All I have to do now is lose this weight and I am am all sorted :-) Hodgie x
  • SteamRoller72
    SteamRoller72 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Can I safely assume this is Tim Horton's with you being from Ontario?
    The issue isn't the coffee you're drinking, it's the Timmy Ho's creamer.
    Have you looked up the fat/calorie info on that stuff?

I was a large triple/triple drinker years ago. That's roughly 90 calories and 21 grams of fat per coffee from creamer alone!
    In full disclosure, I drank 2-3 a day with ease...

http://m.timhortons.com/ca/en/nutrition-details.php?id=555&category=Coffee+&+Tea

I now order all black coffee from Starbuck's & Tim Horton's.
    I keep powdered Coffeemate creamer at home and at work.
    3 teaspoons is only 30 calories and 1.5 grams of fat.

This was a signifigant win for me as far as liquid calories are concerned because coffee is a staple for me.
    I drink coffee and water regularly...never soda or sugared fruit juices.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I drink both, too. Two cups of coffee, then I switch to tea. They'll have to pry my coffee grinder out of my cold, dead hands for me to give it up.

If you can cut out the creamers and all of the things that load a coffee with calories, I don't see why you'd have to give it up completely if you love it.
  • eskiadas
    eskiadas Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Weight?

You don't need to cut out coffee if you are looking to lose weight. I can not cut out coffee from my life so I try to make healthier. I used to be a double double drinker as well. I then started drinking it with milk, then i cut out 1 sugar and I now drink my coffee with just 2 milk. A lot less calories than double double but now I am used to having it without sugar :)
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I quit coffee about 2-3 years ago & I am a HUGE fan of green tea! Yeah I liked my Starbucks pick me up, but I quit mostly for health reasons associated with high caffeine (I had a bad physical anxiety disorder for several years & decided to control it naturally instead of more pills.) Green tea is so awesome for you & you can try it different ways - hot, cold, lemon, honey, whatever. :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    do both,
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I cut out everything involved with coffee except coffee itself. Just learn to like black coffee, it makes life easier.
  • oX_Vanessa_Xo
    Options
    Can I safely assume this is Tim Horton's with you being from Ontario?
    The issue isn't the coffee you're drinking, it's the Timmy Ho's creamer.
    Have you looked up the fat/calorie info on that stuff?

I was a large triple/triple drinker years ago. That's roughly 90 calories and 21 grams of fat per coffee from creamer alone!
    In full disclosure, I drank 2-3 a day with ease...

http://m.timhortons.com/ca/en/nutrition-details.php?id=555&category=Coffee+&+Tea

I now order all black coffee from Starbuck's & Tim Horton's.
    I keep powdered Coffeemate creamer at home and at work.
    3 teaspoons is only 30 calories and 1.5 grams of fat.

This was a signifigant win for me as far as liquid calories are concerned because coffee is a staple for me.
    I drink coffee and water regularly...never soda or sugared fruit juices.

Correct. I use to be a 4x4 drinker! But that was like 10 years ago. Now its a medium double double. I can't stand
    Black coffee and its even worse with milk. So I ended up getting coffee mate double double and put my own
    Amount of cream in it because I hate when the coffee tastes too creamy.

Thanks for the nutrition info. I've been meaning to check that out!