calories burned at an amusement park?

Options
Hey everyone! We went to Kings Dominion yesterday and stayed for 8 hours. We walked ALL over the park several times and I can really feel it in my legs today! There are a lot of stairs for the water rides and because the park wasn't busy, they were fast climbs...
I have no idea how to calculate my activity for yesterday, but I am sure I burned some calories!
How would you do it?
Help!

Replies

• Garfy
    Garfy Posts: 41
    Options
    Hi

I would log it as walking - look at the pace variants offered & then choose the one that best fits.
    Maybe then look at 'walking upstairs' & log a bit of time for that as well.

Angie
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would log it as walking as well. One of my MFP friends at Disney loged it as moderate 3.0 pace but when I went to Disney/Universal early June I loged mine at slow 2.0 pace because you do end up standing in lines a lot. Trust me, you'll be berry happy with the 8 hour caloric burn of slow walking, dont worry about adding in the stairs.
  • nikmaack
    nikmaack Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I wear a pedometer for this very reason -- to calculate calories burned while walking. If you go out somewhere, walk a lot, stop frequently for breaks, how do you figure out the calories burned? A good pedometer can take out all the guesswork.

There are a lot of bad pedometers out there. The one I currently own and love is a Timex pedometer that I bought at Mountain Equipment Coop. It cost me around $25 Canadian. It counts my steps, my distance walked based on stride, as well as calories burned.

MFP's exercise tool estimates your walking based on time and speed and your weight. My pedometer measures every step I take (also taking weight into account) and is therefore more accurate. All the same, I can see that MFP's best guess usually synchs up with the actual amount of walking I've done.

Hope this helps.

Nik