Looking to improve my running

Options
Are there any exercises or specific strength training I should be doing to assist in improving my running? I'm still fairly new to running, but I am desperately striving to get to where I can run more than I walk. I'm currently able to walk a minute at 3.5mph then run at 5.1mph for a minute before having to go back down to walking. Any tips are much appreciated!

Replies

• StephTheBookworm
    StephTheBookworm Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I started running 9 months ago and just ran a 15K (9.3miles). When I started, I could hardly run for more than a few seconds. I run AND do weights and cardio at the gym, but really, to improve running, just keep running! The more you do it, the better you'll get.
  • Yourkindagirl
    Yourkindagirl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Like Nike says, "Just do it!" Everyday, try to run a little longer or further than you did the day before. You get better everyday. You'll see.
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Strength training has vastly improved my running. I would also recommend cross training (biking, swimming, elliptical etc.)
  • jobi1kanoobi
    Options
    Squats and lunges to build some strength in your legs, spin classes are great too. Keep doing what you are doing though as that is the best way to build your distance.
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Adding any strength training to your routine is beneficial especially core exercises. Have fun!
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Strength training has vastly improved my running. I would also recommend cross training (biking, swimming, elliptical etc.)

True, but for a begginer the best thing you can do is to progressively run farther and longer. Increase your distance or total time by 10% a week. If that seems too hard, take more recovery time between runs.
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options

True, but for a begginer the best thing you can do is to progressively run farther and longer. Increase your distance or total time by 10% a week. If that seems too hard, take more recovery time between runs.

I should of read more carefully, you're right about increasing distance. OP - I started with C25k program and I started in the same place you are now, probably slower and only able to run 1 min. at a time. In 9 weeks I was able to run a 5k. You can download the app for your phone and it will prompt you when to run and when to walk.
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The more you do it, the better you will get. Try to increase your running time everytime you go running. My old gym used to have a running class, the teacher was great, we did "normal" running, but we also did drills, ie sprints, hill running etc. Plus the fact that you run with other people, you will push yourself that little bit more than when you are on your own. You may not feel ready to run with other, but believe me, we all started slow at one stage.
    JC