Resistance bands

Options
Does anyone do a routine using resistance bands? I have a lifting restriction due to a severe back injury so I am unable and frankly scared to lift weights. I want to tone my arms and this is the only thing I can think of that will help me. I walk on the treadmill and use 3lb weights as I walk which helps but I need to do more. Any input would be great! Thank you :)

Replies

• SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I do not know anyone who does resistance bands but I want to start doing them. There are some good videos on Amazon. I'm going to try them and tone those arms for summer!
  • Iloveeyore78
    Iloveeyore78 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone has a 3 mile walk WITH fitness bands. You can start off doing them really lightly. She shows you all of them. I think it is a nice beginner level. I got mine off of Amazon!
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    If you're on a lifting restriction, check with the doctor that put you on the restriction to see what's safe and ask for some exercises you can do.
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have some bands and had a PT set up a program for me. You can find some demos of exercises etc on youtube.

ETA I do these when travelling otherwise I go to the gym
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Here's a list of videos that use resistance bands (from collage): http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise-videos/resistance-band-exercise-videos-36

There are video clips as well .... very helpful to narrow the field. A couple I like:

Cathe Friedrich's Travel Fit: http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/cathe-friedrichs-travel-fit-5806

Lara Hudson Tighten & Tone Pilates: http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/10-minute-solution-tighten-and-tone-pilates-6240
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I like bands better than weights. I use them in JMBR. They are awesome
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Does anyone do a routine using resistance bands? I have a lifting restriction due to a severe back injury so I am unable and frankly scared to lift weights. I want to tone my arms and this is the only thing I can think of that will help me. I walk on the treadmill and use 3lb weights as I walk which helps but I need to do more. Any input would be great! Thank you :)

Ask your doctor for a referral to a physical therapist. In your first appointment, make your goals clear to your therapist.

Do not complain about the money - further injuries to your back will cost you in medical bills and possibly lost wages.

Bands can put more stress on your back than weights, in some positions!
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    the resistance from bands is the same as resistance from weights. your muscles don't know the difference. 10lbs resistance is 10 lbs resistance...
  • TeaBea
    Options
    Bad back ..... something fairly light: http://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=power+fit

POWER FIT with Stephanie Huckabee ... 1 DVD set is 5 workouts (20 min ea) .... The other DVD set is 10 workouts (20 min ea)

You can use 1 or 2 sections a day .... whatever you feel up to. The workouts target different body areas. Nice to mix it up.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I have done band-based routines but really it depends on your goals. I find that the only ones you can really use are lighter tension ones (ones rated at ~40 lbs resistance or less). At higher resistance levels they start to create awkward pull on your joints (for me anyway) that regular weights don't.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Since you have a restriction, I would talk with your Doctor first to find out what type of strength training would be best for you. Personally, I've tried resistance bands and found I didn't care for them that much. Just a preference.
  • AmberleyAngel
    AmberleyAngel Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Bump :flowerforyou:
  • TeaBea
    Options
    the resistance from bands is the same as resistance from weights. your muscles don't know the difference. 10lbs resistance is 10 lbs resistance...

True - the resistance "could" be the same.

I think the point of bands (in this case) .... she might have more control than with weights. She can leave them fairly slack (to lessen the resistance) and build up (with taut bands) as she feels up to it.