My body is not like your body

Options
...At least that's what it feels like most of the time.

I am 5'8.5" and about 127 pounds. Most women on this site at my height weigh 30-40 pounds more than I, yet look so much skinnier! I don't know what gives here. Maybe I just have a really slight frame, but I don't feel like I do! I just have always struggled against my belly bulge, which is really noticeable since I have a short torso. My legs are long and skinny, as are my arms. It's just my dang midsection that refuses to shape up.

I'm still fairly fit. I work out almost every day and eat a balanced, healthy vegetarian diet, usually around 1500 calories a day. I have muscles--I lift weights and have very strong legs and a strong back/ abs. I'm getting discouraged that I can't lose my last 5-7 pounds of stubborn belly fat!

Can anyone relate to this and/or have suggestions on how to kick it?

Thanks!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    What is your bf%? You might benefit from doing a bulk cycle for 6-8 months (if you can stand the idea of possibly gaining some fat), then do a cut.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    It's all about muscle mass. You need to eat more that 1500, because you are quite tall, and physically active. You are 127 pounds, so I wouldn't eat at a deficit anymore. Eat maintenance calories or slightly more and lift heavy.
    Go here to read more about how to figure out your maintenance calories:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • MistressAella
    MistressAella Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    ^^this :) and above that...
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel you. I was in the same situation. Some of us just have to go a little bit lower than normal to have an "ideal" body. I'm 5'8" and currently 114lbs. I'm basically at goal now (just two more pounds) but I'm technically underweight.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Find out what the people you think look good are doing. The answers will probably involve various kinds of strength training.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's all about muscle mass. You need to eat more that 1500, because you are quite tall, and physically active. You are 127 pounds, so I wouldn't eat at a deficit anymore. Eat maintenance calories or slightly more and lift heavy.
    Go here to read more about how to figure out your maintenance calories:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

This
  • AshatanViz
    AshatanViz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is good advice, and pretty much what I was anticipating. Not going to lie though, serious strength training intimidates me a little bit! I've never been briefed on proper form or good starting weights to lift, so I feel a little self-conscious in the gym. I just have to get past that, though, and refer to YouTube university for some tips :)
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and when I'm lucky to be 127 I'm a fatty fatty two-by-four

Your body is defo not like mine.
    No idea what it's like to be skinny.

Good for you! ;):)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    This is good advice, and pretty much what I was anticipating. Not going to lie though, serious strength training intimidates me a little bit! I've never been briefed on proper form or good starting weights to lift, so I feel a little self-conscious in the gym. I just have to get past that, though, and refer to YouTube university for some tips :)

Heavy lifting is not the only solution.

Try body weight exercises: mark Lauren gets rave reviews, but I find him demeaning. Perhaps just skip the one directed at women. He is also one of these "cardio is a waste of time," lifters, which, as someone who is interested in overall fitness, I find irresponsible.

Try yoga. If you can go from downward facing dog to cobra in one smooth move, you have plenty of upper body strength.

Try a barre class - plies will give you amazing thighs.

Look for fitness trails in your area. The stations usually have very clear directions for a variety of fitness levels.

Try resistance bands. They aren't quite as intimidating as weights because it won't hurt of you drop one on your toe.

Try pilates...actually, I don't much about this one.
  • kellita66
    Options
    You sound A LOT like me. While parts of me appear thin, I gain weight in my midsection and it takes forever to lose it. What kind of exercise are you doing? I have found while I prefer running, some of the best things you can do are very focused core workout for body types like ours. Pure Barre was one of the best things for me (but it got time consuming and expensive), so I'm on the hunt for a new way to engage and focus on my core...
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options

Read the New Rules of Lifting for Women. I had never lifted weights either and Lou gives a very detailed explanation of form, including pictures. I couldn't enjoy it more.
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Holy crow......I'm 5'8" and at 127lbs I would probably wear a size 2. So very strange how our bodies differ!!!
  • jourdanerin
    Options

I feel the same way!!! SO I eyeball personal trainers or people who look pretty fit (not the steroid guys looking at themselves in the mirror) while I'm at the gym. LOL! Stalker style. If they are working with a client nearby, I just watch so I know what do on my own next time. Free training for me.

OR I shell out the extra $$$ once every month or two to get my own session with a trainer. Once you get the basics you'll feel more comfortable doing other things.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Maybe pilates? Might strengthen your core?
    I wish I had your bod. Just sayin!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Thigh and butt muscles tend to hold a lot of mass.

When I look at photos of guys my height that look about my upper body build and BF%, it isn't unusual to see 20-30 lbs lighter than I am. I don't have huge legs by any means, but I defintiely focus on them and they hold a lot of weight.

My guess is the difference between you and a lot of ladies you see that weigh a lot more despite being fairly similar looking is that there is a decent difference in the size of the muscles of the thighs and butt.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Yes, do strength training.

But is it possible you just aren't looking at your body with an objective eye? Your pictures make you look slim, and your height and weight certainly add up to being pretty slim. I can't image people your height being 30 pounds heavier and looking thinner. 10 pounds, sure. 30 or more, nope. I'm thinking you being too critical of yourself.