JMBR versus Chalean Extreme?

Options
I did TurboFire last year and LOVED it. Chalene is amazing and I love her so much! However, TF was getting a bit stale so I moved on to some Jillian Michaels workouts and semi-enjoyed them. I liked the incorporation of weights in a more full on way.

I've been attempting to do JMBR now since December and I just can't get into it. I do it for a few days/weeks and I am feeling and looking better, but then I start to wake up in the morning and think "I'd rather not listen to Jillian yell at me and laugh like an idiot at her cast members" so I go back to bed for another hour. I've put 15 pounds back on and have no motivation, even though my wedding is 4 months away! Eek!

Has anyone done Chalean Extreme and JMBR to compare them? It seems like a similar premise, but I feel like Chalene would be a lot more positive and motivating. I really need something that I'm going to want to do I think, but I paid a lot for JMBR and I don't want to sink more money into buying more workouts when it might just be that I'm overstressed and it's a motivation problem?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If motivation is the problem then, might I ask, how could some pre-recorded messages that aren't aimed at you help?
  • Sweeterescape
    Options
    Because I am more likely to enjoy working out with a positive pre-recorded message rather than a negative one?

I firmly believe working out should be something I enjoy, not a chore to be endured. Yes it's hard and challenging, I like to push myself and challenge myself, but I don't really need someone yelling at me at 5:00 am that they're going to kick my *kitten*. That doesn't get me going. Whereas someone telling me that they're here for me and that I can do it is more of a motivator.

I'm just saying, I used to push play with Chalene no matter how tired or cranky I was, but JMBR is not like that. I just don't know whether Chalean Extreme is not as good a program or as positive as TF, which would make it a waste of money.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I like you started BR but didn't get into it. Especially work outs 3 and 4 with all the balancing stuff.
    However I LOVE CE. it somehow feels like real exercise. I don't always do her cardio stuff but if you liked TF, you'll be fine. I just don't like all the kickboxing stuff. I definitely recommend CE
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I don't like Chalean. I don't like her attitude. She's all sunshines and junk. Did turbofire and I just couldn't get into it. I did it for a month but didn't enjoy it. I mix around dvds now or do blogilates or go to the gym. Just depends.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Because I am more likely to enjoy working out with a positive pre-recorded message rather than a negative one?

I firmly believe working out should be something I enjoy, not a chore to be endured. Yes it's hard and challenging, I like to push myself and challenge myself, but I don't really need someone yelling at me at 5:00 am that they're going to kick my *kitten*. That doesn't get me going. Whereas someone telling me that they're here for me and that I can do it is more of a motivator.

I'm just saying, I used to push play with Chalene no matter how tired or cranky I was, but JMBR is not like that. I just don't know whether Chalean Extreme is not as good a program or as positive as TF, which would make it a waste of money.

Might I suggest finding something where the act itself is enjoyable then? I mean clearly if you're depending on someone else trying to make it enjoyable you're doing the wrong activity to begin with.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Once you know the moves, why not mute the sound and work out to a podcast or your own music?
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Send me a FR and you can see my results pics from ChaLEAN Extreme. I've done it twice so far and I LOVE it! With this last round I've been able to get my body fat down to 18%!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

Might I suggest finding something where the act itself is enjoyable then? I mean clearly if you're depending on someone else trying to make it enjoyable you're doing the wrong activity to begin with.

Not true! I've been working out since 1996, primarily to workout videos and everyday I motivate myself to push play! But Chalene constantly encourages you to push past what you think your limits are and constantly reminds you of form. I love weight lifting, but I still like to follow along a program and have a motivating "trainer" so that my mind doesn't wander while I work out!
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    ultimately the best one is the one you'll do consistently. It doesn't matter what anybody else likes. If you like the positive motivation of Chalene and you'll do hers more consistently, then do it. If you like Jillian for the results but don't like her attitude and then give up, what good is it really doing you? Don't waffle. Don't second guess it. Just get it going.
  • PattyJane167
    PattyJane167 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing Jillian 30 Day Shred...I got tired of hearing her yak, so I mute the sound & turn on some music....
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    What I meant was, it would be more conducive, I feel, to find strength training activities you actually enjoy and look forward to doing. This way having an external motivator ceases to be a factor. It's all about tactile sensory input. What types of feelings do you like putting your body through? Gentle up and down flowing movements? Abrupt side to side movements? Regardless of what types of movements you enjoy there are strength training activities to fit it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I firmly believe working out should be something I enjoy, not a chore to be endured.....

Seconded.

I have some workouts on my weekly slate that can only be described as torture, but they involve things I like to so I enjoy them. Till the second set, anyways. No amount of pre-recorded (or live) "attaboys" is going to get me thru a workout that i find boring, tedious or repetitive. So I suggest finding a workout plan that's actually to your liking. Maybe you'd rather do yoga, or spin, or hike up a mountain or lift heavy things than press play on your dvd player. There are some good DVDs but if that type of workout isn't getting it done for you, look elsewhere

The other suggestion I have is that you stop looking for motivation. Make a workout plan and stick to it. Motivation comes and goes and is not something successful people rely on to achieve their goals. Decide what you want to do and do it.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options

The other suggestion I have is that you stop looking for motivation. Make a workout plan and stick to it. Motivation comes and goes and is not something successful people rely on to achieve their goals. Decide what you want to do and do it.

^^^ This. I go to the gym because that's what I do. Some days I feel motivated about it and some days I don't. That's just life.
  • lizzyb83
    lizzyb83 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I really like Chelean Extreme. You just got to find what works for you. A soul mate workout, really. Whether it's a home video or at the gym. JM was not it for me. I couldn't stand her or the workouts. Chalene isn't as chippy in CLX, but still really good.
  • Mom2M_and_O
    Mom2M_and_O Posts: 214
    Options

I very much get where you are coming from. I have not done JMBR, but I did do 30DS and while I motivated myself to complete the 30 days, I have not since enjoyed doing it again. I've tried and I just don't connect with the whole experience and I do believe her personality has a lot to do with it. I've even tried it on mute, and it does help but you also miss cues.

I really enjoy Chalean Extreme. I have not done TurboFire. I attemtped the one TurboJam workout that came with my CLX set and she was like a completely different Chalean! Horrendously perky and happy and, well, just not to my liking. It just felt so goofy. She's much more of a regular type personality on CLX -- still encouraging and smiles but not over-the-top. I feel like if she were in the room with me I would not punch her. :laugh:

As with anything, the more you do it, the more you start to memorize the dialogue and it can get old over time. But having done workouts like Jillian and Leslie Sansone where you just want to throw something at the TV if you hear it ONE MORE TIME, it hasn't bothered me this time.
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    You will love CLX, Charlene and her style. This I promise!
  • Brandie0502
    Brandie0502 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've completed 1 round of JMBR & after reading the rave reviews Chalean Extreme got on MFP, I ordered it & received it last week. After the 1st workout I could tell I wasnt going to like it but continued on for 4 days. I didnt like the workouts & thought Chalene was annoying. After 4 days I knew I couldnt continue w/the program for the full 90 days, returned it & restarted JMBR. Maybe I'm the odd one but I actually missed Jillian and felt like I was cheating on her :)
  • luticiaf
    luticiaf Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Some people seem to thrive off the 'Drill Sergeant', and others like the positivity, right?? I love ChaLEAN - i love that she can be energetic, but also packs a serious punch, and I think that encouragement makes a difference. I wouldn't want to feel judged by Jillian!
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Chalean Extreme and as far as the workouts go...I prefer Jillian's body revolution. With Chalean extreme I feel like I need to add in extra cardio but regardless, I still like it. Honestly, I don't really care about either of their personalities. I just want the workouts. If Jillian annoys you that much you should just mute the sound and play your own music.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    edit: for some reason my post went up twice. WEIRD lol