Quick Question

Options
I have a question. Do you think adding Whey protein to my diet is a good idea if I still have 45 lbs to lose? I have already ditched my scale, so Im not worried about the possible gain in weight. I have already lost over 65 lbs and I do want to build muscle at this point.

Thanks for your responses!

Replies

• MikeRay
    MikeRay Posts: 47
    Options
    You need to have the whey protein in your diet. I would also add some glutmine
  • prez_beck
    prez_beck Posts: 30
    Options

Dont mean to sound stupid but..what is Glutmine? Could you recommend a good whey protein to purchase?
  • kkeen
    kkeen Posts: 3
    Options
    If you add whey, maybe drop something that is close to the same in calories and add a little more exercise and it should work out just great for building and still loosing. Good Luck and keep up the good work.:smile:
  • amg5157
    amg5157 Posts: 52
    Options
    Whey Protein is the bestest to add to a diet if you are trying to lose or gain! Im kinda cheap so I go with the one I can pick up at walmart...Advanced Body Fortress - Chocolate. MMMMMmmmmmMMMmmMMMM Yummy .....for my PWS I add some Dextrose to the mix so i get that simple sugar intake.
  • prez_beck
    Options
    If you add whey, maybe drop something that is close to the same in calories and add a little more exercise and it should work out just great for building and still loosing. Good Luck and keep up the good work.:smile:

Thanks! I work out 5 days a week and burn about 1200 calories per workout..probably more because of the ab and weight lifting I do.. I take in about 1600 calories a day as well... I was thinking of using the Whey as a meal replacement in the morning and another after I finish working out..
  • prez_beck
    Options
    Whey Protein is the bestest to add to a diet if you are trying to lose or gain! Im kinda cheap so I go with the one I can pick up at walmart...Advanced Body Fortress - Chocolate. MMMMMmmmmmMMMmmMMMM Yummy .....for my PWS I add some Dextrose to the mix so i get that simple sugar intake.

How long have you been taking it? What type of results have you seen?
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I've been buying Pure Protein whey protein shake in the vanilla at Target. About $17 for 2 lbs which is 27 servings. I'm almost done with mine and I love how it works. I mainly started using it because I increased my calories and am working out a lot and couldn't meet my protein goals for the day (I'm set at 30% of my diet in protein). I just shake it up with some 2% or skim milk and drink it after I work out. I have 22 lbs. left to lose and will continue the protein shakes as I continue trying to reduce my body fat% and build lean muscle.

The protein itself won't make you gain weight. You need to find one that is low in sugars and low in calories otherwise you'll go over on your daily calorie intake (this still needs to be counted in your diary just like it were any type of food or drink, along with whatever you mix it with - milk is the best consistency and flavor, whether it's cow milk, goat milk, almond milk, coconut milk, whatever!). The Pure Protein I take is like, 110 calories for one scoop, plus the milk is usually about 60 calories I think? And it's 25g protein.
  • prez_beck
    Options
    I've been buying Pure Protein whey protein shake in the vanilla at Target. About $17 for 2 lbs which is 27 servings. I'm almost done with mine and I love how it works. I mainly started using it because I increased my calories and am working out a lot and couldn't meet my protein goals for the day (I'm set at 30% of my diet in protein). I just shake it up with some 2% or skim milk and drink it after I work out. I have 22 lbs. left to lose and will continue the protein shakes as I continue trying to reduce my body fat% and build lean muscle.

The protein itself won't make you gain weight. You need to find one that is low in sugars and low in calories otherwise you'll go over on your daily calorie intake (this still needs to be counted in your diary just like it were any type of food or drink, along with whatever you mix it with - milk is the best consistency and flavor, whether it's cow milk, goat milk, almond milk, coconut milk, whatever!). The Pure Protein I take is like, 110 calories for one scoop, plus the milk is usually about 60 calories I think? And it's 25g protein.

Very nice! I am looking at purchasing Wheybolic Extreme 60... its like 270 calories per 3 scoops... and 60g of protein. I recently added 300 calories to my diet because I hit a wall... so Im hoping this will help me recover faster and also help with building that lean muscle and also burn fat.
  • ccgisme
    ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Add it in and see what happens. It's all one big experiment!
  • prez_beck
    Options
    Add it in and see what happens. It's all one big experiment!

Im going to add it this week and try it for a few weeks.. Im hoping to recover faster from my work outs... legs and arms continue to be sore, even after 2 days of rest.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

YES! I bought this one the other week also in chocolate. It was only $19 cdn for the regular 2lb big bucket. The last protein powder I bought was from a grocery store last year at $34 (the cheapest I could find at the time) and was so gross I stayed away from protein powders for almost a year!

Its 25g protein low in sugars but a little higher in calories, 140 per scoop while most are 100-130.
  • prez_beck
    Options

YES! I bought this one the other week also in chocolate. It was only $19 cdn for the regular 2lb big bucket. The last protein powder I bought was from a grocery store last year at $34 (the cheapest I could find at the time) and was so gross I stayed away from protein powders for almost a year!

What type of results did you see from using Protein?
  • ldybugg
    ldybugg Posts: 134
    Options
    I use the Six Star Strawberry from walmart for like $19. I really like it. I deff noticed better recovery-less soreness and the diff in building up lean muscle faster. And thats w only 1 scoop after work outs. its good w just water-no grainy texture or if i need extra cals for the day i mix w milk and fruit for a delicious shake!
  • prez_beck
    Options
    I use the Six Star Strawberry from walmart for like $19. I really like it. I deff noticed better recovery-less soreness and the diff in building up lean muscle faster. And thats w only 1 scoop after work outs. its good w just water-no grainy texture or if i need extra cals for the day i mix w milk and fruit for a delicious shake!

Excellent. I am going to use Amplified wheybolic extreme 60.. I think its like 60g of protein for 3 scoops. I havent lift weights in 3 days and my arms are still sore.. I need to recover better than this.. it can become discouraging.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

Dont mean to sound stupid but..what is Glutmine? Could you recommend a good whey protein to purchase?

May I suggest checking out the Jay Robb protein powders at http://www.jayrobb.com/

This protein powder you can get Whey, Rice or Egg White Protein. It is all natural and it is lightly sweetened with Stevia.

This is the best tasting protein powder I have ever tasted and I have tasted a LOT.