Custom Calorie intake vs Weight loss report

Options
tomhrvy
tomhrvy Posts: 13 Member
Hi Guy's,

Thanks to MFP i've been fairly successful in loosing weight and am well on my way to hitting my goal! So far i've lost 36lbs and have about 13 to go =)

Okay this may be incredibly sad but due to a lack of reporting capabilities on MFP, I made this chart to see how my calorie intake effected my weight loss. I think it could be a good tool to compare successful to unsuccessful dieters to see where they're going wrong.

So i used the MFP printable diary report and a bit of JQuery to pull the daily totals and copy pasted that into excel then used a pivot table to create this average weekly chart.

The straight lines are max cals (TDEE) and minimum cals (TDEE - 1000). The crazy moving around line is my average calorie intake per week. finally the gradual sloping line is my weight in lbs

http://www.scratchwebs.com/WeightLossChart_Weekly_Avg.png

What isn't on there is my exercise. I started out with once a week then gradually stepped it up to 3-4 times a week after a few months.

it looks even more interesting/crazy when you look at the same chart but (almost) daily. As you can see i occasionally ate over and above but as it wasn't very often it made little difference to my weight loss

http://www.scratchwebs.co.uk/WeightLossChart_Daily.png

If any of you find this useful and want to see what yours looks like, let me know and i'll try to make a webpage so you can do if for yourself =)

all suggestions welcome!

Replies

• teachmom32
    teachmom32 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I do charts, too. For mine I put in my various goal lines as well for my weight. That way, I can see how close I am to 10%, 25%, and goal weight. I'm a mathematical girl, so for me I enjoy charting everything and looking for trend lines.
  • bkciddir
    bkciddir Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    How did you come up with the minimum calories?
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    that would be really cool if we could try it too.
  • tomhrvy
    Options
    I do charts, too. For mine I put in my various goal lines as well for my weight. That way, I can see how close I am to 10%, 25%, and goal weight. I'm a mathematical girl, so for me I enjoy charting everything and looking for trend lines.
    That's a good idea! you could give yourself an incentive when you hit the goal and kick yourself into gear if you stray away from it
    How did you come up with the minimum calories?
    Everywhere i read suggested that loosing 2lbs a week was the maximum rate you should loose weight over a sustainable period of time. Then going by 3500 cals per pound i worked it out to 500 cals per day to loose 1lb a week and 1000 cals for 2lb a week. So then to set my minimum I took my TDEE minus 1000 calories
    that would be really cool if we could try it too.
    I'm glad someone else thinks so! okay i'll have a look at making a tool to do it online. might take a while to get round to it but i'll post on here when it's done
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I like how I can see that at the beginning you ate less calories but weight loss wasn't consistent, then when you started eating more the blue line had a steady drop.
    Nice work C:
  • evolution143
    evolution143 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be able to do this. Could you possibly post screen shots of your steps on a website rather than a plug and chug calculator?
  • Maribabewhich
    Maribabewhich Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I would love this
  • SEC_RULES
    SEC_RULES Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Bump-thank you! :)
  • tomhrvy
    Options
    I've created how-to a guide. It's a bit lengthy but i'm hoping to create a automated tool soon to make it really quick and easy

[url] http://scratchwebs.com/mfp [/url]

Enjoy!
  • MissE4410
    MissE4410 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I won't use this tool as I have no idea how to, and I totally don't understand it but I think you're awesome for posting this and being so helpful!! :)

Nice work :)
  • marialydia
    marialydia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Fabulous! If you post more on this it would be great. I tried to do a similar thing but obviously am not as good at Excel so it doesn't come out as well. Thanks so much.
  • Rosegardenia
    Rosegardenia Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump - I need to do this i think:flowerforyou:
  • tomhrvy
    Options
    Fabulous! If you post more on this it would be great. I tried to do a similar thing but obviously am not as good at Excel so it doesn't come out as well. Thanks so much.

Is there any part i need to expand on or a that you want help with?
  • Babieseverywhere
    Babieseverywhere Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Marking to try later :)
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Try syncing your MFP with tictrac.com you can cross any metric you like :D
  • RawCarrots
    RawCarrots Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Cool! Thank you, I was thinking of doing something similar. I weigh in daily so can notice the effect of sodium and treats on the scale the next day but don't have long term data to see any proper trends or predictions
  • tomhrvy
    Options
    Try syncing your MFP with tictrac.com you can cross any metric you like :D

That site is awesome! thank you =)
  • phatty4dayz
    phatty4dayz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the step-by-step guide. I'm going to try to tinker with it later this week.
  • jianop
    jianop Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!