TDEE experts needed

Options
Anyone know anything about TDEE? I've calculated my caloric limit assuming TDEE -20%, and the number is WAY higher than the caloric limit that MFP assigns me.
What does this mean? Should I be eating more? Am I not losing weight because my caloric deficit is too high? I'm so confused.

Here are the formulas I used:
1. Basal Metabolic Rate 655 + (4.35 x wt in lbs) + 4.7 (ht in inches) - (4.7 x Age)
2. Ttl Daily NRG Expend (TDEE) BMR x 1.4625 (if active 3-5x/week)
3. Caloric Limit TDEE- 20%

Thank you!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I use the info and tools in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0

I started eating at my TDEE minus 20% about a year ago and had great success with it, losing a lot of fat, inches and reached goal weight. Have since changed to 10-15% off, and am still losing the fat.

It's a long thread, heaps of info, but excellent stuff, and there are photos and info for each step. Hope that helps!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I just plugged everything into this webste:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

The difference could mean that you have your activity level set too low or your weekly weight loss goal set too high on MFP or that you never ate your exercise calories back. The tool is only as good as the info you input.
  • amdarosa619
    amdarosa619 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The difference could mean that you have your activity level set too low or your weekly weight loss goal set too high on MFP or that you never ate your exercise calories back. The tool is only as good as the info you input.

I feel like the numbers input in MFP are pretty accurate to my lifestyle. I think changing them would perhaps make them even more unrealistic. I'm also pretty good about logging as accurately as possible.

A lot of where my confusion lies is I feel like Im maintaining weight - I dont gain, I dont lose. However, my eating and exercise habits have changed (for the better) greatly over the past 3 or 4 months.I feel like just that alone should have shown me some kind of result or change. Now this TDEE things has got me all mixed up!
  • kbeaumont88
    kbeaumont88 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I seems that most people suggest following the TDEE calories to lose more weight than what MFP gives you. I haven't switched to it yet, but I am considering trying to meet a calories goal somewhere in the middle of the two.
  • kbeaumont88
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I seems that most people suggest following the TDEE calories to lose more weight than what MFP gives you. I haven't switched to it yet, but I am considering trying to meet a calories goal somewhere in the middle of the two.
  • kloser2kona
    Options
    yes ^^^
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Both methods work out pretty much the same if you follow them properly. MFP will give you lower base calories however you are suppose to eat back your exercise calories which then will bring you closer to the TDEE - ? method.
  • kbeaumont88
    Options

IT means with MFP you eat your calories back, this method you don't, that's all.

Notice this

activity is already taken to account, mfp doesn't do that so you eat your calories back when you follow MFP.

So would that mean that on days I do not exercise I should eat my MFP recommended 1200 and days I work out I should eat the 1200 + the calories burned?
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much, yep.

But you might find that MFP puts your BMR a little lower than it probably could be.
    It put me at 1350, but my BMR is 1485.. so I know I have about 100cals of leeway when I don't exercise.
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    bump
  • smichelle65
    smichelle65 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

IT means with MFP you eat your calories back, this method you don't, that's all.

Notice this

activity is already taken to account, mfp doesn't do that so you eat your calories back when you follow MFP.

So would that mean that on days I do not exercise I should eat my MFP recommended 1200 and days I work out I should eat the 1200 + the calories burned?

MFP already has you in a deficit; so 1200 calories is the net calories you should shoot for each day. If you eat 1200 cals and burn off, say, 500 cals during exercise, then you're really only taking in 700 calories for that day. You'll need to eat those 500 calories back to bring your net back up to 1200.
  • kbeaumont88
    Options

Notice this

MFP already has you in a deficit; so 1200 calories is the net calories you should shoot for each day. If you eat 1200 cals and burn off, say, 500 cals during exercise, then you're really only taking in 700 calories for that day. You'll need to eat those 500 calories back to bring your net back up to 1200.

Makes sense. Thanks
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Anyone know anything about TDEE? I've calculated my caloric limit assuming TDEE -20%, and the number is WAY higher than the caloric limit that MFP assigns me.
    What does this mean? Should I be eating more? Am I not losing weight because my caloric deficit is too high? I'm so confused.

Here are the formulas I used:
    1. Basal Metabolic Rate 655 + (4.35 x wt in lbs) + 4.7 (ht in inches) - (4.7 x Age)
    3. Caloric Limit TDEE- 20%

Thank you!

There are two different methods for calculating your calorie goal...the NEAT method and TDEE method. Ultimately, if you're doing it right, they're going to come out pretty much 6 of 1.

MFP uses the NEAT method (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis). This method assumes no exercise...or any exercise you do is extra...thus you would eat back exercise calories using the NEAT method...you net to your calorie goal with the NEAT method.

TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) includes all activity in the calculation, including exercise. You do not eat back exercise calories using the TDEE method as they have already been accounted for you your gross calorie goal...with TDEE you gross to your calorie goal.

Now one thing that can throw your calorie goals off are if you selected 2 Lbs per week goal with MFP and you are comparing that to TDEE - 20%...you're going to be off there because TDEE - 20% is usually closer to 1 Lb per week loss. Other than that they should be roughly 6 of 1...here's an example for myself.

MFP goal (1 Lb per week loss): 1750 + 300 (exercise calories) = 2050 gross calories (but I'm still netting to 1750)

TDEE - 20% (2550 * .80) = 2040

only 10 calories difference for my goal between the two methods.
  • kbeaumont88
    Options

Notice this

Makes sense. Thanks

It makes sense IF YOU'RE FOLLOWING THE MFP METHOD. YOU ARE NOT. so NO...

I am following the MFP plan... just started adding workouts so I hadn't realized to add back the those calories to reach a net of 1200. So glad that people provide helpful feedback without being rude.
  • danagolding
    Options
    Bump
  • kbeaumont88
    Options
    Ok. Thank you for your help and the clarification. I guess I was confused. :smile:
  • amdarosa619
    amdarosa619 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

Notice this

This makes so much sense! Thank you. But I'm still uncertain of why I havent seen a more rapid loss. I've been pretty dedicated, and it's like my body hasnt yet registered the clean eating, controlled frequencies, and hard bootcamps I've been sticking to for the last couple months.
    I still bobble within 2-3 lbs, and 3-5% body fat around the same ol' numbers. meh...