last five pounds

Options
How do I get rid of the last five pounds? I've lost over 40 so far, but I just can't seem to get rid of that last five lbs. I am 5'7" and weigh 150 lbs. I have been trying to lose 5 pounds for several months now, with no success. I am eating within my calorie goals (1380) and I work out with a trainer twice a week and 4-5 times a week at home. I have been losing steadily since I started trying at a rate of 4-7 lbs per month. My body fat level is about 26-27%.
So what gives? Do I need to amp up my workouts? Eat less? Eat more? Or is 150 lbs my body's ideal weight and I should stop here? I'm getting a lot of conflicting advice and I would appreciate hearing from those of you who have overcome this hurdle.

Replies

• JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    When was the last time you updated your goals? I try to update mine every 10 pounds or so... but did so recently because I hit a plateau. I didnt change anything, reentered the same info except for current weight and it dropped my calories. Also, your body might just be at a plateau so try to change things up a bit maybe?

My honest problem was I got to a magic number... first 20 pounds down then 30 pounds down and I was not being as honest on my food logging and I was not working out as hard. I have re-kick started everything so I am hoping to see the change soon! Good luck! The last few pounds are the hardest!
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bryn10
    bryn10 Posts: 44
    Options
    I've had this same problem and it's definitely annoying! You work so hard and feel so close but the scale just won't budge! Sometimes you can shock your metabolism by increasing your daily caloric goal for just a couple of days. It gives the body a chance to get "comfortable" for a minute. I usually do this for 2-3 days (while still maintaining my same workout schedule) and then jump back into my original daily target. This usually works for me! Good luck!
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Friend me!
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I was 7 pounds away from my goal at Christmas last year. It took me the next 3 months to lose 4 pounds and just 3 pounds away from my goal. Then suddenly I went up 6 pounds without going over my calorie goal. Now a month later I have only lost 1 pound of that 6 pounds. It's annoying I was just 3 pounds away and now I can't get close to it.

I tried upping my calories and it made it just worse.
  • acm130
    acm130 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Try eating at the TDEE for your goal body weight for a week or more, switch up your work outs a little, I like to switch to 2-a-days, same duration of time for work out just split into afternoon/late morning and evening. I also do calorie zig-zag one day eating TDEE less 20% the next day TDEE plus 15% then TDEE less 15%. Good luck!
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses and encouragement, folks, it helps to know I'm not alone. Maybe I'll try switching things up a bit and see if I can kick-start the fat burning process again.