First 5K - Any advice?

Options
kkvz79
kkvz79 Posts: 11 Member
I recently decided to sign up for my very first 5K which will take place on October 2nd. I have always wanted to do a 5k, but never had the courage or the motivation. Now that I have lost some weight, I've been more and more eager to participate in one. I chose this for a few reasons. One being that is is 12 weeks away and I can train properly and secondly, it's in October so it won't be HOT like July!

I am still overweight, but along with training for the 5k I hope to lose another 10-15 lbs. by then. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice for on training for a 5k for the very first time? I'm incredibly nervous that I will let myself and those registering with me down and I really don't want that!

Looking for tips and motivation, please help!!

Replies

• Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    I'm planning on running one in Sept., here's the C25K training plan that I'm using:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml?cmp=2
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on running one in Sept., here's the C25K training plan that I'm using:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml?cmp=2

I agree this is one of the best programs for training. Make sure to follow it and not skip, even if it seems easy at first. If any part does seem easy, try to challenge yourself by using hills are faster speeds. If a week seems to hard (can't run while holding a casual conversation) then repeat the week. That is ok.

I would also recommend that since you want to do this to run a 5K, don't do any part of the training on a treadmill. Make sure to get all your miles outside.

Good Luck and have fun with it.
  • christopherwarren
    Options
    I've also heard great things about C25K, though I haven't tried it myself.

One thing I'd recommend, when you reach the day of the run, is to make sure you stick to your own pace. It'll be really tempting to try to keep up with everyone around you, and the adrenaline in the moment can make you start off more quickly than you're accustomed to, and that can catch up with you at the end of the run.

Ultimately, though, just stick with it and don't get frustrated when you have tough days. You can do it, and overcoming the tough days are what make it all worth it in the end.
  • kkvz79
    kkvz79 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouraging words and advice! I am starting my training next week and am really excited! I did look into the C25K website, thank you!!

I'll be posting my progress as I go along!
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! It's such a great accomplishment when you finish. My advice for the actual race...don't start out too quickly. It's much easier to speed up than slow down. Also, start in the middle to middle/back.