Really really frustrated and ready to throw in the towel.

Options
I decided to make a lifestyle change on June 1st 2010. The first few weeks I ate 1200 calories a day and ran 1 mile a day and I lost 15 pounds doing that. Then I upped my workouts, I now run 3-4 miles a day 10 mins on the elliptical and sometimes walk 5 miles at night. I have started eating my exercise calories and still can not lose weight. In fact I am going between 160 and 162 and when it says 162 that means I gain 2 pounds. I haven't lost any weight for a good 3 weeks maybe 4. I am so so so frustrated and ready to call it quits. I know I won't stop working out because I love doing it, but I am ready to cry. I don't know what to do anymore....I am in my healthy range for BMI and weight, but I am not happy with this number. When I first started I had a goal to be 125, but I started trying to be reasonable and said ok I am older now and have 3 kids maybe I should just aim for 150, but I can't even get there. Please help!!!

Replies

• labreemike
    labreemike Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    dont eat the exercise cals, i've found high protein diets work best.
  • kimberly428
    kimberly428 Posts: 237
    Options
    have you tried zig zagging your calories?
  • Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    Options
    I wasn't at first, but I posted on here that I wasn't losing a couple weeks back and everyone said to eat them. So I started and I am still not losing. :(
  • Bethany28
    Options
    No, never really heard of that before.
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    15lbs in 1 month, and you're in the normal BMI range now!?!

Goodjob! seriously, instead of getting frustrated, you aught to look at what you just did! I'm sure your progress will slow considerably on the scale, but it sounds like you will see your new progress in strength, energy, and overall look of your body as you tone up.

Don't stress it, you are on your way there - just try to avoid burnout.
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If you are at a healthy weight and BMI, maybe that is what is making it difficult?
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Have you taken measurements? Seriously, the scale derails so many of us. I'm about 8 pounds heavier than I was 6 months ago, but am a pant's size smaller. Lean muscle takes up less space in your body, so if you're carrying more lean muscle mass, it could explain the increase in weight.
  • labreemike
    Options
    take measurementsat times my scale wouldnt move but i was losing inches.
  • erinliz
    erinliz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! I know how you feel, though. I am down over 20 lbs, and have been fluctuating the same 2 lbs for the past 3 weeks. No loss at all! :( I don't know if it's water retention, a plateau or what.....but my plan is to just stick it out for the rest of July. I will either start losing again or not. I have changed up my workouts some, but I'm not ready to start messing around with my calories yet. If by August 1st there's still no loss, I think I will maybe increase my intake for a week and then drop it back down to jumpstart things. Good luck! Remember, our bodies aren't machines and don't always respond predictably. Before I stopped losing, I lost almost 7 lbs in 2 weeks. I think my body didn't like that too much! It's job is to constantly equilibrate itself! But if we are eating good and exercising, the weight will come off. Maybe not exactly when we want, but it will! Good luck and hang in there!
  • ladytap
    ladytap Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on all that running! You rock!

Now....definitely eat those excercise calories!! In fact, 1200 calories might be a little too low for your if you're doing all that running. I started with 1200 and hit a road block; couldn't lose anymore weight. So I changed my goal to lose 0.5 pounds a week instead of 1, which bumped my calories up to 1350 per day and I'm back on track. Try playing around with that a bit. Cycling calories is also a neat idea that I've heard great things from. Eat more calories one day, less the next...pretty much just change it up to keep your body guessing. It's supposed to keep your metabolism in overdrive.

I know it's frustrating, but you're doing great. Just play around with calories a bit...you'll find your right number. Don't give up. Good luck!!
  • labreemike
    Options
    by the way whats zig zagging
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any weight training? Also a good thing to note, switch up your workouts every 6 to 8 weeks. Your body gets use to doing the same thing everyday. Muscle confusion is important with wanting to lose weight.

I agree with MWORLD, you have done so good so far. Don't give up on yourself and be proud of your accomplishments so far. You will get there. Remember you did not gain the weight in 4 weeks you won't lose it in 4 weeks. This is a lifestyle not a "Diet", take it one day at a time. :bigsmile:
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Plateus are always frustrating, your body is use to running now, and bodys in general don't like change so its leveling out. try changing things up a bit, instead of just running straight miles- try doing sprints, you can do them on the treadmill or the elliptical just play with the spead do 3-4mph over your normal "crusing spead" for 60 seconds then rest for 2 min and try it again. Try a different cardio exercise all together for a week or so, then try running again. also exercising as much as you are you either need to up your cal intake or "eat back" at least half that you burn, working out that much and eating that little will put your body into starvation mode and cause your body to hold on to everything you eat thus not loosing weight and maybe even gaining weight.

Be proud of what you have accomplished. It sounds like you have made enourmous progress in a short period, remember the inital weight loss drops quickly the last 15 pounds= 20 pounds are always the hardest, its harder to loose weight the healthier you are as unfair as that is.
  • TheGreenEyedMonster
    Options
    Gonna agree with the folks who are saying do weight training. I ran into the same issue myself. Happens to me about every couple months now. Look at it this way, even if you aren't losing noticable weight right now you are still getting healthier. Just stick with it.
  • amberand3
    amberand3 Posts: 5
    Options
    ok so i understand that it is very frusterating but you have to remember that muscle weighs more than fat so with all the exercise you are doing you are going to gain muscle too so just focus on your measurements and not so much the weight to see your progress and go from there and also quit eating the ecercise calories stick to your 1200 and that should help too :flowerforyou:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    1st- Don't give up. You've only been here for a month. You didn't put on weight in a month, it's going to take time.
    2nd-Eat most or all of your excercise cals (read the sticky notes).
    3rd-Get in touch with the long terms losers on this site (Banks aka SHBoss1673, Tamtastic, Marla64, arewethereyet, and Phoenix_Rising. They've all been on here for a long time and have had great success.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I wasn't at first, but I posted on here that I wasn't losing a couple weeks back and everyone said to eat them. So I started and I am still not losing. :(

All you need to remember is one thing - take in LESS calories than you use up per day and the weight has to come off in the end. Do NOT give up, that would be a damn shame. Be in a deficit of 3,500 calories and that = 1lb weight loss.....

Some people eat those exercise calories and lose weight doing so, others never touch them, some people eat some of them.

Make sure you record every single thing you eat and drink into your diary and do not overestimate the calories you use when exercising.

Do you also measure yourself on your weigh-in days, you may be pleasantly surprised that the inches are reducing even though the weight has stabilised.

Please don't give up! :flowerforyou:
  • Bethany28
    Options
    Oh I guess I left out the weight training or circuit training (not sure what to call it) I do 4 different arm machines at the gym and 2 different lef machines and the ab machine doing 50 on each. I tried not eating the exercise calories and I tried eating them. Neither way seems to work. Not sure....I will keep going, but I just want to see a number change. My husband said he definitely sees a difference ( not sure if I should have smacked him or not :) ) and if I am being honest I do too, but I just want to see the number go down too.
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone...dont give up.

Im over 300lbs and my weight hasnt budged in a month. I should be losing 2-3lbs a week according to all the info Ive read. But Im not. It is frustrating but I know Ive never felt better in my life. I have more energy than ever before. Im more postive about everything. Im happy with those changes as much as I am with weight loss.

Im expecting some shift in weight since Im re-introducing 2x/day workouts and eating fewer calories - 1400. Down from 1700 last week.
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Okay, here is something else to note. If you are only taking in 1200 calories and are burning 600 calories, then you are only actually taking in 600 calories a day. That is bad for you. You need to eat at least 1200 calories a day. So in fact you need to eat you exercise calories to keep within a healthy range. Hope this makes sense.

The minimum is 1200 calories to let your body work on a daily basis, if you starve it, it will eat your muscle not your fat. Please keep that in mind as well. :bigsmile: