zumba

Options
Hi Im new to this site & really enjoying it... I go to Zumba classes but cant find it on the exercise tracker so not sure what to track it as, any ideas?

Replies

• melnedder
    melnedder Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba. I looked around at different sites online and they say you burn anywhere from 500 to 800 calories in an hour long class! I have been taking the low end in my tracker and using 500 calories. You can always use a heart rate monitor and know for certain how much you burn :)
  • Clairemi11s
    Options
    Thanks for that, will put it as 500 calories then I think x
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    I'm a Zumba instructor, the burn varies GREATLY by many factors....the class, choreography, instructor, your effort and how long the class is.
    When I got certified they actually told us anywhere from that it can average anywhere from 400-750. I've seen ppl post that they burned over 1000. My last couple of classes using an HRM I burned over 500.
    One of the girls in my class is on MFP and she logs it as "Slimnastics, jazzercise" and that brings her close to what my HRM gives me, she weighs a little bit more then me but she's taller then me, so I think it's gonna be as close as it gets (depending on your effort) I know the effort she puts in so it looks right to me.

So that probably doesn't help much....:flowerforyou:
  • blutz
    blutz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also do Zumba occasionally and I wear a body bugg that says I burn about 530 calories in 30 minutes of Zumba. I weigh about 256 pounds and I am 5'9". I think how much you weigh makes a difference in how much you will burn... hope this helps.
  • Clairemi11s
    Options
    Thanks everyone...got more of an idea now!
  • dawnsant
    dawnsant Posts: 44
    Options
    Hi! I just joined on here today and my first Zumba class is tomorrow. I too noticed (from playing to see what all this site does) that Zumba is not listed. I guess it would fall under one of the dancing?
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Hola, fellow zumba freak. I wear a polar HRM and normally burn 650 cals/hour. I work my hardest through the whole class, 5' 142 # Figure you burn about 100 calories for every 10 minutes of high energy workout. Zumba love and welcome to MFP!
  • anthemfamily
    anthemfamily Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this thread. I have my first zumba tonight as well. A little anxious about it but mostly excited. Thanks for the ideas on how to add it to my excercise log,

Traci:happy:
  • s_perdue
    s_perdue Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi! I recently started taking zumba classes myself! they are alot of fun and definately a workout. According to my heart rate monitor I burn between 500-700 each week for the hour. (I do most everything at the high impact level). Of course this might vary depending on height, weight, etc.. hope this helps!
  • PinkofPerfect
    PinkofPerfect Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Zumba classes for weeks now, and I burn 500-650 calories per class, as per my heart rate monitor! (HRM)

Awesome burn!!
  • jfowl
    jfowl Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I just bought the Zumba pack for home....do you love it?? Does it work??
  • Clairemi11s
    Options
    Ive been doing 1 class a week for the last couple of months & I feel more toned & it is so much fun!
  • Clairemi11s
    Options
    Thanks...love zumba.....doing a zumba toning class tommorow which should be fun !
  • mommytantrums
    Options
    I love Zumba!! I've been doing Zumba 5 days a week for a month and have lost 12 lbs, along with cutting down my food portions and drinking only water. It is very addicting!
  • tammyhoff2004
    Options
    Good job Zumba for not smoking for so long!!
  • susanbertram
    Options
    Hi, I just joined today and I don't even know what Zumba is - I do a lot of hiking or exercising on the treadmill - I also am starting to lift weights so that I will stay firm as I loose weight.
  • dawnsant
    dawnsant Posts: 44
    Options
    Our town only has it twice a week! I wish I could go five nights a week, that would be awesome .... but I may not ever get my homework finished or the kids fed. lol But would still love to go that much!
  • Zumbagrl
    Zumbagrl Posts: 3
    Options
    I used dancing/ arobics to figure my exercise for Zumba, I take 4 classes per wk 60 min. each. It is the only exercise that I ever really enjoyed. It ( the exercise calculator) probably gave me a lower cal. burn than I really use during a class but it gives me a good idea of where to start.
  • flbeachbum
    flbeachbum Posts: 12
    Options
    I LoVe Zumba!! I started 4 months ago and it's so much fun. Exercise with a smile;) I started off not having any rhythm and now I actually think I might be doing something right out there on the dance floor!