Has anyone had success with swimming?

Options
I've been relatively successful losing weight by diet alone, but it seemed to have plateaued recently. I have really bad knees and can't handle anything high-impact, so I started swimming a couple times a week at a nearby pool. I'm up to being able to do laps (freestyle one way, back stroke the other way) for 30 minutes straight, and I love it. I'm just curious what types of routines other people have experienced success with while swimming to lose weight and build a little muscle.

Replies

• jjkath
    jjkath Posts: 17
    Options
    bump
  • jjkath
    Options
    bump
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I've gone down 2 belt holes in 2 weeks and my body looks more toned after swimming 3 times a week...
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I swim 3-4 times a week in a rehab pool. I mention that it's a rehab pool because it's small (22 laps to make 1/4 mile), and the water is kept at 92 degrees.

I'm in the pool for an hour - I swim laps free style for 20 mins and the rest of the time I'm doing stretching and water resistance movements. I've worn my HRM a few times and I've found that I'm not burning many calories (about 140 in those 20 mins) and that surprises me since I sure feel like I'm working hard.

I think swimming is great, and especially if you add in some water resistance work.
  • jjkath
    Options
    What sort of water resistance work?
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I swim several times per week and love it.
  • livainjenn
    Options
    I go to the pool once a week for Aquasize class, and I love it. We put on a belt, get dumbbells for water, or some type of resistance equipment, which is basically a type of flotation device and you have to keep them under water while doing the exercise, and then we head to the deep end for an hour. Its not hard on your joints, and you get an amazing workout.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    What sort of water resistance work?

- moving your arms and legs against quickly against the water
    - foam barbells
    - plastic paddles

I also balance on a kick board. I started off just sitting on it, but now I can stand on it and move around the pool. It's good for the core muscles and balance.
  • _ting_
    _ting_ Posts: 45
    Options
    Swimming rocks! I focused on swimming from December through March, started at freestyle 500 metres in 21 min, now swimming freestyle 1500 metres in 37 minutes. I was swimming 3 times a week. I also lost 20 lbs from November to march so the swimming definitely helps.

I kinda lost interest the last couple weeks (I found that laps get boring), but then went last Thursday and practiced butterfly stroke for 20 min. Great workout! I did some research and found that doing continuous laps of 1 lap butterfly, 1 breaststroke, 1 freestyle and 1backstroke is a good HIIT workout. I'm going to try this for a couple weeks to see how it works for me.
  • jjkath
    Options
    I should take lessons. I never actually have, so I basically only know how to do the freestyle and breast strokes. Plus, I'm sure my form is terrible.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    if you can do the butterfly stroke I think that is one of the hardest strokes to do. When ever I try I can only do about 3 before I'm completely tired.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Mix it up for some good results. Try different strokes, using a kick board, pool buoy, freestyle with your head out of the water, sprints of different distances, HIIT swimming. Lots of stuff you can do. You can look up programs online if you need some ideas
  • stlkat1957
    Options
    everyone has given good advice on this site. i am not a swimmer by any means, but first started with water aerobics, which did strengthen me to then be where you are at right now. I found that by swimming some laps and then using the foam dumb bells was very helpful. I tried the balancing on the kickboard ... but no luck there for me ... yet. my daughter is a competitive swimmer and the 1 lap of each stroke is what she has found to work the best for her. i believe its about metabolism first. get that going then do some weight training so you can burn the fat with muscle. i have increased my metabolism with cardio and resistance and now since january, am strong enough to begin weights without hurting myself. you sound like you're pretty strong already so may want to consider some weights that won't put pressure on your knees. there is a lot of equipment that will help you with that. i also recommend hiring a trainer for an hour and let them show you some things that you can do that won't hurt your knees. Good luck!
  • squeakybeats
    Options
    I love swimming! Feel so satisfied and good after. :) should do it more.

Have you tried Yoga? If you're unable to do high impact and you tell your instructor at the start of the class then it could be very good for you! And for losing weight :-)
  • _ting_
    Options
    I've taken group lessons a couple times over the years, but didn't improve much ( maybe the class size was too big).

After swimming a couple times in December, I did a little Internet research and came across Total Immersion training. I'm a visual learner so I studied the available free youtube videos about total immersion. I did the practices and made huge (for me :happy: ) improvements in my technique. There is also a book, but I have not read it. Maybe TI will help you?

Caveat: I do not work for TI or sell their videos or book. Simply what worked for me!
  • tinytasha7
    tinytasha7 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've been having a lot of pain in one knee due to the pressure of water retention on an arthritic joint. I've also been training C25K which is putting unusual stress on the joint, and of course the activity, since I'm fairly new to it, causes me to retain even more water. Yesterday was supposed to be my training day but the pain in my knee was so bad, I just couldn't run/walk/jog for anything. Instead I went and did an aquasize class. I got a really good workout, and by the time I was done, the pain in my knee was almost gone.

I've also been a regular visitor to the bathroom today, as my water levels are going down now. It can really strengthen weak and sore joints though I wouldn't count on it too much for actual weight loss.
  • _ting_
    Options
    I should take lessons. I never actually have, so I basically only know how to do the freestyle and breast strokes. Plus, I'm sure my form is terrible.

Also want to note that I went back to youtube to find videos on butterfly stroke. I've found some useful videos and applied that to my Monday swim. I did the HIIT workout I mentioned before - I have no shame about looking awkward - at this point I can only get better!
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    When I first started even just walking from my couch to my bathroom was extremely difficult and painful. Any form of exercise seemed pretty close to impossible at that point in time, as everything I attempted to do (such as walking) just hurt too much. I lost my first 50lbs with just eating at a calorie deficit and no exercise.

Eventually, I started swimming 2 to 3x a week. It's easy on the joints, and actually burns quite a few calories. It worked wonders for my lower back pain, so I def feel as if the swimming made my body a little stronger. Of course I'm not an expert or anything, but I'm just speaking from my own experiences.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • ChristiCare
    ChristiCare Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    also sitting in the sauna helps with sweating the chlorine out of our body and you tend to itch less. (At least for me) If you notice your hair changing there is this stuff called Malibu C that cleans the chemicals out of your hair. I have only found it online, but it is so worth it. The swim cap will only do so much....Enjoy, I swim 3 days a week and love it, I have noticed more inches then probably actual weight loss
  • lynn_1972
    lynn_1972 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I started swimming 2 weeks ago not every day but so far have gone 9 or 10 times, sometimes twice a day, all I could do is swim short distance under water{can't hold breath very long}but yesterday I swam 8 laps on my back with a life jacket on....and did 2 laps on my back without the lifejacket...feel a lot safer with it on since I can't really swim, swimming is perfect for me as I have osteoarthritis in both knees....I buy a swim pass 20 swims at a time and I love it, not seeing a drop in weight yet but am sure I will{so I keep dreaming} good luck with it!!!