Mini-vacation from weight loss?

Options
Really interesting article here on the subject of mini-vacations from weight loss efforts, via canyoustayfordinner.com.

What do you think? Could you do a mini-vaycay?

http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2012/10/21/mini-diet-vacations/

Mini Diet Vacations
by ANDIE on OCTOBER 21, 2012
Or, taking breaks during weight loss.

Losing weight can be a long and difficult process. It can take years to lose the excess pounds and adapt to a healthier lifestyle. And even if it’s not all that long, not entirely arduous, it still requires energy that you’d probably rather spend on other things. Often times the scope of the changes that need to be made can be so terrifying it can lead to failure. I know very well the feelings I had when I was on the wrong side of 200 pounds even after dieting diligently for months. I felt helpless. Discouraged. I wondered,

how much longer do I have to do this? Months, years, [gulp] a lifetime? [sob]

It just wasn’t possible to pass on dessert much longer. Certainly not forever.

While I didn’t use them more than two or three times, I found that during those moments when I was feeling particularly weak in will, just shy of empty on stamina, taking a break was the remedy. For a few days- up to a week- I’d eat reasonably. And by reasonably I mean, at caloric maintenance (the amount of calories I should consume to keep my body at the same weight). It wasn’t carte blanche to binge, to invite every fried friend into my home and my belly; it was a week of eating in a way I’d describe as…well…normal. Healthfully but with no sign of deprivation in sight. And nearly every time, I’d find myself at the end of the week feeling a bit renewed, refreshed. I’d feel less bitter about jumping back into a more conservative eating routine. Perhaps especially because I had such a long way to go weight-wise, these days of respite helped to recharge my willpower, my motivation.

It’s worth mentioning that these types of breaks aren’t for everyone. Some of us have difficulty with an all or nothing mentality that tells us we’re either strictly on the wagon or completely off and eating with reckless abandon. It’s dichotomous. It’s oatmeal and salads or ‘hey is there a dessert buffet around here?’

The advantages to diet breaks are mostly psychological, but there is also research suggesting that such a break (again, a week of eating to your maintenance calories) could help slightly increase your metabolic rate after the break. Taking a vacation from losing weight (while remaining cautious of overeating and bingeing) can be tremendously helpful for those of us who are struggling mentally and emotionally, ready to throw in the towel. The break, in this light, gives us reprieve.

In a 2003 study at Brown Medical School, scientists sought to disrupt diets by “inducing a relapse.” They took a group of dieters and made them take a break from their weight loss eating plan. Their hypothesis was that the dieters would slip back into their old ways and regain the weight. Surprisingly to the researchers, results showed that the group who took breaks was able to slip right back into their weight loss routine. There was no difference in weight loss between the group that took breaks and the group who didn’t.

A possible conclusion we can draw from this study is that diet breaks aren’t necessarily a hindrance to weight loss. And not only are they not a hindrance, but they may serve as an aid to those struggling to reach their goals.

Read the study findings here.

Have you experimented with diet breaks? What were your results? How do you recharge your motivation in weight loss?

Replies

• MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Really interesting article here on the subject of mini-vacations from weight loss efforts, via canyoustayfordinner.com.

What do you think? Could you do a mini-vaycay?

http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2012/10/21/mini-diet-vacations/

Mini Diet Vacations
    by ANDIE on OCTOBER 21, 2012
    Or, taking breaks during weight loss.

Losing weight can be a long and difficult process. It can take years to lose the excess pounds and adapt to a healthier lifestyle. And even if it’s not all that long, not entirely arduous, it still requires energy that you’d probably rather spend on other things. Often times the scope of the changes that need to be made can be so terrifying it can lead to failure. I know very well the feelings I had when I was on the wrong side of 200 pounds even after dieting diligently for months. I felt helpless. Discouraged. I wondered,

how much longer do I have to do this? Months, years, [gulp] a lifetime? [sob]

It just wasn’t possible to pass on dessert much longer. Certainly not forever.

While I didn’t use them more than two or three times, I found that during those moments when I was feeling particularly weak in will, just shy of empty on stamina, taking a break was the remedy. For a few days- up to a week- I’d eat reasonably. And by reasonably I mean, at caloric maintenance (the amount of calories I should consume to keep my body at the same weight). It wasn’t carte blanche to binge, to invite every fried friend into my home and my belly; it was a week of eating in a way I’d describe as…well…normal. Healthfully but with no sign of deprivation in sight. And nearly every time, I’d find myself at the end of the week feeling a bit renewed, refreshed. I’d feel less bitter about jumping back into a more conservative eating routine. Perhaps especially because I had such a long way to go weight-wise, these days of respite helped to recharge my willpower, my motivation.

It’s worth mentioning that these types of breaks aren’t for everyone. Some of us have difficulty with an all or nothing mentality that tells us we’re either strictly on the wagon or completely off and eating with reckless abandon. It’s dichotomous. It’s oatmeal and salads or ‘hey is there a dessert buffet around here?’

The advantages to diet breaks are mostly psychological, but there is also research suggesting that such a break (again, a week of eating to your maintenance calories) could help slightly increase your metabolic rate after the break. Taking a vacation from losing weight (while remaining cautious of overeating and bingeing) can be tremendously helpful for those of us who are struggling mentally and emotionally, ready to throw in the towel. The break, in this light, gives us reprieve.

In a 2003 study at Brown Medical School, scientists sought to disrupt diets by “inducing a relapse.” They took a group of dieters and made them take a break from their weight loss eating plan. Their hypothesis was that the dieters would slip back into their old ways and regain the weight. Surprisingly to the researchers, results showed that the group who took breaks was able to slip right back into their weight loss routine. There was no difference in weight loss between the group that took breaks and the group who didn’t.

A possible conclusion we can draw from this study is that diet breaks aren’t necessarily a hindrance to weight loss. And not only are they not a hindrance, but they may serve as an aid to those struggling to reach their goals.

Read the study findings here.

Have you experimented with diet breaks? What were your results? How do you recharge your motivation in weight loss?

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I just eat dessert.

I am not (just) on a weight loss journey. I want to eat healthy foods in reasonable quantities and move my body until I am six feet under. Since I hope for that to be a long time off, I go ahead and have dessert once in awhile as a part of my normal diet - by which I mean the average foods I eat on a regular basis. The types of food I eat won't change once I am in maintenance, I will just eat a bit more.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I take regular diet breaks, but eat the same kinds of foods...I just eat to maintenance for a couple weeks to re-boot everything. In terms of the deserts and what not, I incorporate all of that stuff into my diet whether I'm on a deficit or not. I don't eat a lot of junk, but I do allow myself to be about 80-90% "good" and 10-20% "bad."
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I am on the IIFYM plan. I don't have much of a sweet tooth. So, I rarely have anything sweet anyway. If I ever do get the urge it will be something small and I will just fit it into my daily calories. Most likely though what I will want to over indulge in would be something high calorie like an extra half an avocado, or more nuts than I should eat, or extra Triskets, or sweet potato chips, oh and don't put a bag of popcorn in front of me that will be gone.
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat to my macros...but I could see the benefit of a break, eating to maintenance for a week to "recalibrate"
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should feel deprived while dieting. That's no way to live, and it's a lot harder to keep up. I've done that plenty of times before. But now I'm in it for more energy, not just weight loss, and that is enough of a reward. And I've discovered that I really am just as satisfied with a chocolate rice cake and a little fat free cool whip as I was with big bowl of ice cream for dessert. I think if I do take a break it will be for a holiday or special event. I'm afraid if I make a habit of taking breaks it will just start to be all one big break and I'll be back where I started.
  • mpf1
    mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Mine is less of a diet and more of a lifestyle change. I am going to take a vacation from logging my food in when I go on vacation next month, but I don't think I'm going to eat a lot of junk because of it. I will keep eating healthy, have a few more treats and hope for the best :)
  • matthewcorb
    Options
    It's fine to take days off when you're dieting. Eat some dessert once in a while. Don't deprive yourself of those goody treats.