Question about weight loss after working out...

So I was wondering, when you work out, do you see a difference in weight after a few days? This may be a silly question, but when I work out, I show no weight loss, then about 6-7 days later I have a big loss of 1 or 2 lbs. Because of my busy schudule, I don't work out on a routine basis. Last week was only Mon-Thur and nothing until today. Just curious! Thanks!!!

Replies

• stressd1mom
    stressd1mom Posts: 151 Member
    I am kind of the same way. I guess it is the fact that it takes 3500 calories to gain or loss a pound so it could be that it is after the days of exercise that you accumulate your 3500 calories or more to lose a pound. It never seems to come off as quick & easy as it seems to go on! I do notice that I lose more when I do exercise too.
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    I never see a loss after a few days. My losses have never been week to week either. It can take anywhere from 7-15 days for a loss to show on my scale. I dont fret too much about it since I feel better than I have in years! :)
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Well, I've read that if you work out 3 times per week (cardio & weights) will possibly lose a little weight, depending on your diet. More than that, you will start noticing a difference - and how it's appearing on the scale is most likely normal. You have to think a) gotta build some muscle to burn the fat and b) building muscle takes a while and weighs more than fat...

Measuring is usually more encouraging than looking at numbers on the scale. Possibly limiting your weigh-in every week instead of every day would make your weight loss more consistent.

Also... when you work out you build up lactic acid to help build your muscles - never weigh-in AFTER a workout.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    So I was wondering, when you work out, do you see a difference in weight after a few days? This may be a silly question, but when I work out, I show no weight loss, then about 6-7 days later I have a big loss of 1 or 2 lbs. Because of my busy schudule, I don't work out on a routine basis. Last week was only Mon-Thur and nothing until today. Just curious! Thanks!!!

Yes I find that if I work out, I have no weight loss afterwards, however, if I do not train for the two following days my weight will drop.

I just took it for granted that it was something to do with swelling up :laugh:
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Depending how intesnely you workout your muscles will retain water for a few days and so when you do have a "rest" day or two or when your muscles finally release you will show a loss. But it's not going to happen overnight. Usually after a good cardio session I may see a little movement on the scale the next day but nothing to really write home about.
  • sillysuzy
    sillysuzy Posts: 4
    Yes, I agree with the posters above. It depends for me on a lot of things: intensity of workout is a big one. I also remember one trainer telling me in the past that you're exercising for what you've already eaten, not for what you will eat. In other words, you can only burn what's already in your body.
  • you wont see the results in one day...some people even gain because of fluid and all held in your body....this is why i may step no the scale daily but i only record my weight after 7 days.....normally on mondays.....anywho....you will see it after you burn a certain amt of calories.
  • tara3103
    tara3103 Posts: 107
    Thanks for all the advice! I weigh daily, but only log in once a week on Mondays. It was weird that I work out and show no loss, but then if I take a few days rest, all of a sudden I show a loss. Was a little confusing, but I guess enough to keep me motivated!!!