Really nervous about this so take it easy on me.

Options
I am new to being aware of what I eat and I thought that going down to 1200 cals a day based on my docs recommendations would be very hard but I find Im being to Conscious and I can't seem to hit all of my calories. I'll get home from a full day of eating things like light and baked snacks, snacks made for dieting like Weight Watchers fiber one or lean cuisines and I'll still be a little bit short and I have plateaued. However when I was working at 1500 cal I could easily hit 1200 mark maybe it's just I like seeing that extra at the end of the day and I should go to the 1500 Mark and I should start eating some regular type foods again rather than all the light foods? I feel full and satisfied and according to the counters I am meeting my nutrient goals. I'm just choosing to eat more fruits and vegetables and whole grain pasta all of those don't have as many of the calories. Also, I hate exercising but I need to because I'm significantly overweight and my body will look awful from all the hanging skin my main inspiration is to also look better, do any of you have any recommendations on something that'll tighten and tone me without boring me to death but also low impact because I am significantly overweight and it hurts my knees and back?

Replies

• ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating more fruits and fresh vegetables and less processed snacks. Just because they don't have a lot of calories, does'nt make them good for you. For exercise, if you have a game system, try a dancing video. Or do you have access to a swimming pool to exercise in? Good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • JillMoto
    JillMoto Posts: 8
    Options
    For toning, I HIGHLY recommend Sarah Picot's Pilates. Of course, start with the beginners cd (there are 3). She takes you through it step by step and once you master that, there's a 13-minute cardio flow non-stop session. Then, once you master that, go on to the next video. Each video is a stepping stone for the next so you MUST do the recommended 5-6 weeks before going onto the next. This will ensure you're doing it right and are ready.

Another great complement to Pilates is yoga. Rodney Yee, in my opinion, is the best out there. Check him out, ther are plenty to start with. I love combining Yoga Abs with Pilates. If you do these at least 3-5 times a week, guaranteed, you'll see results in just a few weeks regarding strength and flexibility. I just started again after a few years away from it. The difference in what I can do just 2 weeks later is amazing.
  • bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    Options
    I found cutting out the processed food really works wonders for me. Eating natural has been the key!
  • CatMcCheesey
    Options
    do any of you have any recommendations on something that'll tighten and tone me without boring me to death but also low impact because I am significantly overweight and it hurts my knees and back?

Are you able to join a gym? Jacob's Ladder is an awesome low impact workout and it won't hurt your knees or back. You'd have to start slowly, though. One minute on, then one minute rest, or something of the like.
  • choconuts
    choconuts Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the 'light' 'baked' 'diet' food. It's processed crap.

Eat real food and increase activity.

ETA: just read about your difficulty with exercise. I'm sure others will have great tips for you to add in activity. In the mean fine, definitely stay away from 'diet' foods! Good luck on your journey!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Quit eating this - eat real food. Problem solved. Fruits, veggies, whole grains, beans, nut butters, eggs, dairy, full fat cheese... You'll be more satisfied, have more energy and you'll be able to hit your calories with food that has actual nutritional value!
    I'll get home from a full day of eating things like light and baked snacks, snacks made for dieting like Weight Watchers fiber one or lean cuisines
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I Also, I hate exercising but I need to because I'm significantly overweight and my body will look awful from all the hanging skin my main inspiration is to also look better, do any of you have any recommendations on something that'll tighten and tone me without boring me to death but also low impact because I am significantly overweight and it hurts my knees and back?

Water aerobics or even just walking in the pool. You can even use the weights they make for use in the pool.
  • twinsmom03
    twinsmom03 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi....I would start by just walking and get some hand weights....Also, I am not a pro at this my self but it sounds like you are not eating enough.....You should set goals to lose no more than 1 or 2 lbs at most a week....I have close to 100 lbs to lose and my calories are at 1700. just my opinion! Good luck!!!
  • MelissaVoci
    MelissaVoci Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Giving my two cents too.... I lived for YEARS trying to do the right thing by eating baked this, weight watchers that, sugar free this, low fat that..... It never worked. In the last month, I cut it all out. I make a big tupperware full of fruit in the morning (usually an apple, an orange, some grapes, half a canteloupe, and maybe some pineapple, mango, or strawberries). This is my go to snack food during the entire day. For breakfast, I eat a banana and a hard boiled egg, or 2 scrambled eggs, with a turkey sausage link. Lunch usually consists of a big salad and leftovers from dinner the night before. Dinner is jasmine rice or a sweet potato (NO instant rice, jasmine rice takes 15 minutes and tastes much better anyays) with a protein. Whatever protein I want - Chicken, fish, pork, beef. I do allow myself Green & Black's organic dark chocolate (It is the only one I have found with NO dairy, and no sugar (organic cocoa, organic cocoa powder, and organic vanilla - my hubby thinks it tastes like bakers chocolate, but I like it) If I am still hungry (which is rare) I eat a bowl of salad, and that curbs it. I drink 9-16 cups of water a day (I aim for 16 a day = 1 gallon) Eating this way I have way less cravings, I feel full and satisfied, I have the energy to work out, I don't feel bloated when I go to sleep at night, AND to top it all off, I have lost 13 pounds in the last month. You don't have to feel like you are dying every time you work out, but I think you should push yourself past your comfort level. Yes, it hurts. If you keep it up, it hurts less. Pretty soon, you crave it. You crave the feeling of sore muscles from working hard. I hope this helps :)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Most "lite" foods are not at all worth it and are not healthier for you. Low fat milk is an exception.

In all other cases, make sure to read the labels. Oftentimes, the fat that is removed is replaced with other, less healthy ingredients to maintain some flavor. And food manufacturers work hard to make you want more, not less, of their product. So, a 100 calorie snack pack of cookies is likely to have ingredients that pique rather than sate your appetite, enticing you to eat more than one pack.

Eat "real food" rather than processed masses of artificial chemicals and you'll be more satisfied and healthier. When you hit the grocery store, hit the veggie aisle first and load your cart up with vegetables. Put 1 serving of dressing (actually measure the two tablespoons, don't eyeball it) on a sliced up head of romaine lettuce (which often comes two or three to a bag) and for a hundred or so calories you'll have a great big bowl of salad to eat. I tend to use "full fat" dressings because for the 60 or so extra calories, it tastes better and is A LOT more satisfying.

Roast a beet. You'd be surprised how sweet and delicious they are, cold or hot.

As to exercise, try mall-walking or zig-zagging all the aisles at a big-box store. Go to Walmart, grab a cart, throw something like a tube of toothpaste in it, if you feel conspicuous, and then start walking all the aisles. You'll be exercising in plain sight and no one will be the wiser! And free air-conditioning, too!
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating more fruits and fresh vegetables and less processed snacks. Just because they don't have a lot of calories, does'nt make them good for you. For exercise, if you have a game system, try a dancing video. Or do you have access to a swimming pool to exercise in? Good luck on your weight loss journey.

What they said!
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I am new to being aware of what I eat and I thought that going down to 1200 cals a day based on my docs recommendations would be very hard but I find Im being to Conscious and I can't seem to hit all of my calories. I'll get home from a full day of eating things like light and baked snacks, snacks made for dieting like Weight Watchers fiber one or lean cuisines and I'll still be a little bit short and I have plateaued. However when I was working at 1500 cal I could easily hit 1200 mark maybe it's just I like seeing that extra at the end of the day and I should go to the 1500 Mark and I should start eating some regular type foods again rather than all the light foods? I feel full and satisfied and according to the counters I am meeting my nutrient goals. I'm just choosing to eat more fruits and vegetables and whole grain pasta all of those don't have as many of the calories. Also, I hate exercising but I need to because I'm significantly overweight and my body will look awful from all the hanging skin my main inspiration is to also look better, do any of you have any recommendations on something that'll tighten and tone me without boring me to death but also low impact because I am significantly overweight and it hurts my knees and back?

I too have a problem getting enough calories. I eat mostly regular foods, but I also load up on fruits and veggies. A friend suggested that on the days I'm significantly below my calorie limit, I could try having some healthy oils, or a treat that I wouldn't normally eat. This may work for you. Also, I do a lot of bicycling, which is very low impact, as is swimming, if it's easy for you to access a pool. Good luck.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    If you like to dance at all, you should try zumba! I have 2 herniated discs, and most likely little to no carillage in my knees, but I can do it, and I love it!!! If it's too hard for your knees and back, try zumba gold. Gold is for older folks though, but it's low impact. I was 210lb's when I started doing zumba, I'm now down to 143! Good luck!!! BTW, your metabolism could be low now, but start gaining muscle to help speed it up, plus the cardio. I now burn 2,500-3,000 cal's/day, and I know this thanks to my bodymedia. I know people are going to start thinking I'm a spokesperson, or salesperson, but really, I'm not. Just trying to lose the last of this weight! You can go to the websites if interested. www.zumba.com and www.bodymedia.com. I love them both!!! :D Oh, and if you try the zumba I would definately do the live classes. They're so much more fun!!! However, if you'd rather do DVD's they have them too.
  • Clement1ne
    Options
    I've switched from deli meat in my sandwiches for lunch to thinly sliced chicken breast. I shake a bit of seasoning on the chicken while it's cooking in the pan and with mustard, lettuce, low fat sliced cheese, pickle or whatever else you like - It's delicious! Once cooked it keeps for quite a while in the fridge too. If you don't like mustard use fat-free mayo (max 1 tbsp).

For the last three weeks I've been seeing a Nutritionist. He's been helping me get better organized with my meal planning and calorie intake (this is how I learned about MFP in the first place!). If you can afford it or perhaps the service is covered by your insurance if you have it, I recommend you see a Nutritionist at least one time for 1 hour to get a starting plan of what you should be consuming.

I bought the cookbook "Cooking Light Fresh Food Fast". I've been using it consistently since I bought it. My Nutritionist and I are planning out of this book. Very quick but tasty home-cooked meals, also nutritious. Most of the recipes do not require more than 5 ingredients.

I also made a pact with my Personal Trainer that I won't eat out or get delivery for 4 weeks, so I'm *really* stuck cooking! :noway:

Trust me, if you're not a big fan of cooking, you're not alone. I really don't enjoy it as an activity even if my Fiance helps me. lol. So far though, I think I've been doing okay...

I also think walking would be good for you. Get yourself good socks and invest in a good pair of walking shoes. Start by walking and push yourself a little just so it feels challenging. If you have to speed up, then go ahead, you'll be building your endurance. It has to start somewhere right?

Anyway, those are my recommendations.

Good luck!

Emmalee :smile:
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options

Exactly my thoughts. Too much processed foods; although low in calories not the best choices. I am looking at arm toning exercise I can do while sitting down. Perhaps looks at some of those options too. Good luck and thanks for sharing.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Pilates lol I cant even do warrior 2 pose without weeble wobblin. Well I can now I have been trying for about a week. I think you should start with walking for a few minutes a day. If you are moving you are losing. Buy some light weights and sit and lift them. I am doing biggest loser boot camp very good for fatter ppl because you can choose what workouts you want to do and if you cant do them bob tells you to just walk in place. Light weight lifting in it as well. My diary is open if you want to look for ideas. Key to staying full is fiber and protein. Works too well if I may add. Good luck to you on your journey
  • bethira
    bethira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    At 260 lbs with bad knees and a bad back, I started doing Zumba. A good instructor will tell you proper squat technique (listen to them because believe me, you don't want to do bad squats with bad knees). My favorite Zumba instructor has a saying: "just keep moving". If he's doing something I physically can't do, I just march in place. If my heart rate is getting too high, I'll switch to something lower impact. Do what you can, push a little past that (safely) and above all, just keep moving.

I also am in love, love, love with Body Pump. Tone and strength train set to music so totally not boring.

Most importantly, find what works for you. I love Zumba, Body Pump and Tae Bo. Those things might not interest you, so you have to find what is fun for you. I hate to exercise too. But I find things that are fun and it doesn't feel like exercise. Plus when you start to see the results and they start sooner than you'd think, you get hooked.

And I know everyone has already said but stay away from the diet food. It was the hardest thing for me. But as soon as I started eating less processed food and more veggies (I've always loved fruit, so that wasn't a change for me) I noticed a change in my body immediately. The hard work I am doing combined with the right foods, are starting to sculpt me into the sexy me I want to be.
  • kkrystall24
    kkrystall24 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think some of you may have misunderstood my meaning my light and baked foods. I mean i choose to cook my own food vs eating out. I use olive oil rather than butter, i will replace oil in desserts with applesauce. The only things processed i actually eat are baked chips cause im a chip junkie and Im obsessed with lean cuisine Chinese meals. I know they are bad but are soo good tasting and i supplement with big salads with thinned out dressings, fruits, veggies, and lean chicken, lean cuts of pork and beef and I don't add extras like salt, sugar, ect. I just always went through this cycle of not eating all day then bingeing at night so i force myself to eat throughout the day and my the time supper rolls around im sick of measuring, counting, and being aware of what im eating: plus my stomach isn't used to this way of eating yet. My question was/is did any of you have this problem as well and did it correct itself or did u have to seek help with it because it's really one swing to another
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I think some of you may have misunderstood my meaning my light and baked foods. I mean i choose to cook my own food vs eating out. I use olive oil rather than butter, i will replace oil in desserts with applesauce. The only things processed i actually eat are baked chips cause im a chip junkie and Im obsessed with lean cuisine Chinese meals. I know they are bad but are soo good tasting and i supplement with big salads with thinned out dressings, fruits, veggies, and lean chicken, lean cuts of pork and beef and I don't add extras like salt, sugar, ect. I just always went through this cycle of not eating all day then bingeing at night so i force myself to eat throughout the day and my the time supper rolls around im sick of measuring, counting, and being aware of what im eating: plus my stomach isn't used to this way of eating yet. My question was/is did any of you have this problem as well and did it correct itself or did u have to seek help with it because it's really one swing to another

I'm a bit confused between your original post and this one, but either way, upping calories by a few hundred is not a hard thing to do. A handful of nuts, a slice of regular cheese (not light or low fat), apple with peanut butter, an extra tsp. of oil on your dinner, regular salad dresssing instead of thinned out, a hardboiled egg (yolk too) a yogurt, glass of milk, a cookie....there are endless possibilities.