Calorie differences???

Options
I recently got a HRM and today I did a 25 minute bike ride at about 12mph. My HRM said I only burned 145 calories and run keeper said it was 182 calories burned. Then I logged it into my fitness pal and it said it was 220. How and why is there such a difference and what should I go with? I'm not for sure my HRM is totally acurate.

Replies

• ericadawn92
    ericadawn92 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I don't know what run keeper is, but your HRM is definitely more accurate than MFP because it's taking real data from your body (ie your heart rate) to calculate your calorie burn, rather than just a general formula like MFP uses.
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I would trust the HRM more than Runkeeper or MFP, as it's monitoring your heart rate continuously rather than merely estimating based on height/weight/time. That being said, nothing is 100% accurate. What kind of HRM do you have? I'd personally go with the lowest burn, and if I actually burnt more, that'd be bonus.
  • sunshine5512
    sunshine5512 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Run keeper is an app that I use that tracks my runs, walks, bike rides, any activity really and puts it on a map so I can see the route that I took.
    I have an Oregon scientific with a chest strap. It just seems like it was low but I will go with the lower number. I asked for a nicer HRM for my birthday!!!
  • PinkGemini612
    PinkGemini612 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I just started using a HRM, but from my research to get the most accurate information you need a chest strap. Either way, I would go with the HRM rather then the guesstimate on MFP.

**We posted about the same time! Opps!
  • lukedwr
    lukedwr Posts: 16
    Options
    They all have inaccuracies - as do kcal values for foods. Use them as a comparision between different exercises. I have have a list of different exercises that burn roughly the same, so when I want to burn off a certain amount I just pick the exercises that match up.
  • lukedwr
    lukedwr Posts: 16
    Options
    This post

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/134478-accurate-formula-to-determine-calories-burned-jogging

has the some basic maths and a good explanation of the principles (moving a mass from A to B at this speed). Note the comments on caffiene and meds.