Arm fat question

Options

Replies

• mattashbrock
    Options
    I think the point is that wanting to "tone" is the same myth of spot reducing fat, you will notice more muscle tone/definition when the fat covering your muscles is gone. So saying that you know you cannot spot reduce fat but then saying you just want to tone is kinda confusing because they are basically the same thing.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I think the point is that wanting to "tone" is the same myth of spot reducing fat, you will notice more muscle tone/definition when the fat covering your muscles is gone. So saying that you know you cannot spot reduce fat but then saying you just want to tone is kinda confusing because they are basically the same thing.
    bingo. there is no such thing as spot reducing, just as there is no such thing as a toning exercise.

which absolutely irks me when people recommend arm exercises, or ab exercises for those wanting a 6 pack. it's like they thing they actually thing that would help... ugn. just stop.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I think the point is that wanting to "tone" is the same myth of spot reducing fat, you will notice more muscle tone/definition when the fat covering your muscles is gone.
    I don't think you get the point at all.

You both seem to be hung up on the word "tone". Get over the semantics.

I think that the OP wants to build up her triceps so the skin is a little less jiggly, No toning, just a little less jiggly (or flabby) under the arms.
  • bwnorton
    bwnorton Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I know that I've probably lost muscle with the fat that I know I lost losing 40 pounds. I see circuit training as an option. You can use dumbbells or a machine - they both work. If you are already doing cardio like running or biking, you're getting the big muscle groups going anyways. I'm old-school and use the old 3 sets each (12, 10, 8 reps) of the following: Bench press, chest fly, pull-down, bent over row, shoulder press, shoulder shrug, triceps kickback, and biceps curl. You'll start seeing a difference in your upper body, especially on the definition and size of the muscles. You want to have muscle take the place of the fat that you've been losing.

You can get the same effects using no weights and doing push-ups, kick-outs, squats, dips and pull-ups, etc.

When I go biking I notice if my core isn't strong. Using sit-ups, crunches, back extensions, etc. help me.

It takes time and a reduction in body fat. You probably lost muscle during the diet (most people do). It needs to be built back up.
    Just a thought. Part of the journey is seeing what works for you! Enjoy the exercising!
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I think it is likely loose skin. I have noticed that the big compound lifts, such as squats and dead lifts, actually help as lot with the upper body. So don't think your not working your arms if you are doing those. I also do front and side raises as part of keeping my neck and shoulders strong. I have an neck issue and these help keep everything stable at work. These seem to work my triceps as well. Personally I am not a fan of tricep dips as I feel like I am overloading those little muscles. But basically get in there and do a good full body routine and things will start to improve.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    Arm fat is................well fat over the arm. And while you can't spot reduce the fat, you can "harden" up the triceps with exercise. Problem is most people are doing the wrong exercise for the "long" head of the triceps. To target them try lying triceps extensions, overhead tricep extensions, reverse grip cable push downs, and even pullovers.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Arm fat is................well fat over the arm. And while you can't spot reduce the fat, you can "harden" up the triceps with exercise. Problem is most people are doing the wrong exercise for the "long" head of the triceps. To target them try lying triceps extensions, overhead tricep extensions, reverse grip cable push downs, and even pullovers.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^yep

My upper arm fat is one of the last to go. You just have to be patient re the fat.
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    arm workouts are pointless to this goal. and focus on them is not productive. You cannot spot reduce fat, and focusing on arms means you're putting time into workouts with very tiny muscle groups with comparatively low calorie burn.

Want good arms? Track calories, balance macros, and do full body free weight compound movements. like bench, rows and squats.

edit: typical resistance programs recommendation. SL5x5 or new rules of lifting for women.

I just said in my post "I know you cannot spot reduce fat".. did you even read the whole thing? I said I wanted to tone the back of my arms. :/ But, thanks for the advice, I think anyway..

Define the word "TONE". What does that mean to you? You can either remove the fat from a muscle or increase the size of the muscle with regards to its appearance; so which of the two does "tone" mean?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Lift, not just arm area but everywhere. The more you strengthen muscle, the more calories you burn daily. I have lost little on the scale but my arms have really shaped up.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My arms are usually last to go also. I noticed the biggest difference about 3 weeks into the 30 day shred (and have since done Ripped in 30 and 6 week 6 pack but still, the 30 Day shred was most noticeable arm/shoulder/upper back results for me and I am going to start it over soon! LOL)

My massage therapist friends always have good arms, maybe I should give more massages, haha!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    You are never going to get rid of "toning", it's everywhere. Just take it for what it's worth, just like saying muscle weighs more than fat. Everybody knows what they're trying to say. Not trying to promote the dvd, just showing that it's on fitness products, and fitness professionals use the term, so it's probably not going to go away.

51P5ATVJK0L._SY300_.jpg

And, what ninerbuff said.
  • kkaci5
    kkaci5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Those tricep exercises do work. You can't spot reduce fat ... but as you lose fat cells, you get flab ... my flabby areas are definitely filling out now that I'm developing my tripceps. :-). I'm shocked at how little jiggle there is now.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Now, by tone, do you mean removing the fat from the arm, or do you mean getting rid of saggy skin?
  • raychill007
    raychill007 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tatebos
    tatebos Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you are still losing weight, you will continue to slowly lose fat all over including the backs of your arms. Strength training will increase the size of your muscles but will not eliminate fat, (but you are burning calories while you are training, just as doing any other kind of exercise.) Since you are new to the gym and strength training I would highly recommend the book New Rules for Lifting for Women. It targets larger muscle groups, but incorporates smaller muscle groups at the same time.

I agree that it is a contradiction to say that you cannot spot fat reduce but you can tone. In my opinion toning is what people who do not have weight to lose, do when they build up some muscle tone. Maybe you fall into this catagory!?!
  • Clement1ne
    Options
    Congratulations to you for getting a Gym Membership! You will start seeing more results now, as long as you go!

I am *definitely* seeing improvements in my arms (Shoulders, Triceps) and I've been doing the following with my Personal Trainer:

> Tricep Push-Down
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-LAMcpzODU

> Bench Dips
    http://www.wikihow.com/Do-a-Bench-Dip

> Push Press (this one is a compound exercise, which means it works pretty well the entire main muscle groups, including the arms & shoulders too) http://www.stack.com/2010/10/20/exercise-of-the-week-single-arm-dumbbell-push-press/

Start with a low weight, if that's too easy increase until it feels challenging.

Good luck!

Emmalee :smile:
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Thrusters
    Goblet Squats
    Dips
    Jump Ups (I can't seem to do a traditional Pull Up without a little momentum :-/ )
    Ring Ups(?): standing, but leaning back 45* while holding on to dangling rings, keeping your body straight [ don't stick your butt out! :) ] while you pull the rings to your shoulders
    Kettle Bells
    Wall Balls
    Wall Stands
    Shoulder Push Ups
    Bridge
    Planks

My crossfit group also does an exercise where you lift a huge weigh over your head (we can handle 25-35 pounds), walk about 100 ft or so, set the weight down, sprint to your starting point and then back to your weight, pick up the weight and walk back the 100 ft to your starting point. Not sure if there's a name for it... Anyways we do that over and over for 5 mins as fast as we can. Then for the next 5 minutes, we do the same thing except we add... say, 10 push up between setting the weight down and running. Then, building upon that, we add 10 squats after the 10 push ups and do that routine for the next five minutes. For the fourth and final five minute set, we then add 10 sit ups after the 10 push ups and 10 squats. This might sound confusing, so here's the final 5 minute round:

Walk w/ weigh overhead
    10 push ups
    10 squats
    10 situps
    run back and forth

So if you want to make it alll arms, just replace squats and situps with other stuff.... although that might be hard to keep up for 20 minutes.

Hope this helps!
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    arm workouts are pointless to this goal. and focus on them is not productive. You cannot spot reduce fat, and focusing on arms means you're putting time into workouts with very tiny muscle groups with comparatively low calorie burn.

Want good arms? Track calories, balance macros, and do full body free weight compound movements. like bench, rows and squats.

edit: typical resistance programs recommendation. SL5x5 or new rules of lifting for women.

I just said in my post "I know you cannot spot reduce fat".. did you even read the whole thing? I said I wanted to tone the back of my arms. :/ But, thanks for the advice, I think anyway..
    then why are you asking for arm exercises when you know they dont work???

She's not. Are you dumb?

She SPECIFICALLY said in her OP that she KNOWS you cannot spot reduce fat. She wants to tone her triceps. Stop being a jerk and if you don't have helpful advice, leave. Simple as that.

OP: I would say that you could do dips. No weights required, just find a reasonably tall chair, face away from it, place your palms against the seat of the chair and lower your body down. If you want to take it easier, bend your knees. If you want a challenge, straighten your legs completely. :) It helped me a lot before I gained more weight. It will be my go to tricep exercise again once I begin strength training.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options

then why are you asking for arm exercises when you know they dont work???

She's not. Are you dumb?

She SPECIFICALLY said in her OP that she KNOWS you cannot spot reduce fat. She wants to tone her triceps. Stop being a jerk and if you don't have helpful advice, leave. Simple as that.

OP: I would say that you could do dips. No weights required, just find a reasonably tall chair, face away from it, place your palms against the seat of the chair and lower your body down. If you want to take it easier, bend your knees. If you want a challenge, straighten your legs completely. :) It helped me a lot before I gained more weight. It will be my go to tricep exercise again once I begin strength training.
    wtf do you think tone is?? it's the loss of bodyfat so existing muscle shows. how in the **** is doing arm exercises going to lose body fat?

In light of that, the best exercises are full body compounds that include the arms. any press or pull will do, arms will be included. And the calorie burn will be much higher and the end result much better.

Again, she's unhappy at the fat level of her arms. not the lack of muscle mass. The solution is to lose fat. So why everyone is suggesting useless arm exercises is beyond me.
  • jessicapetert23
    jessicapetert23 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    phjorg....LOVE this guy! he just telling you how it is. It's facts. And people are getting pissed!! haha.