Frozen spinach?

Options
I bought boxes of Birds Eye spinach to use in my smoothies but um... how do you separate the frozen spinach? Do I have to thaw and use within a certain amount of time?
Thanks. :o

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Leverage.
    Karate chop or common carpenter's tools work. Be careful if you try to use a knife.
    I hang a bit over the counter and strike it with the heel of my hand. You can break bones doing this incorrectly.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Just leave it in the fridge overnight, or put the spinach in a baggy and soak it in tepid water until it thaws. I would only thaw enough to use in a single smoothie at a time. I doubt it would keep very long once thawed.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    If I'm not using the whole package I will slightly thaw it until I can break it apart. Take what I need than pop it back in the freezer.
  • lukedwr
    lukedwr Posts: 16
    Options
    Bread knife to saw it into blocks :)
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I made that mistake once (bought the "block" of frozen spinach") I tried chopping off chunks which resulted in flying spinach all over the kitchen. Then I tried running a corner under water to just thaw part of it, but that was a huge mess, too. If you make smoothies every day, you can thaw the entire block and use a good portion each day. It should keep for several days in the refrigerator. Now I buy frozen spinach in bags which seem to have more individually frozen pieces. I haven't had a problem since then.
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    Just leave it in the fridge overnight, or put the spinach in a baggy and soak it in tepid water until it thaws. I would only thaw enough to use in a single smoothie at a time. I doubt it would keep very long once thawed.
    Well that's her point isn't it. She doesn't want to thaw the whole thing...
    Options

Well FRED, the boxes of frozen spinach are small enough that ONE would only last a couple of days anyway!
  • Given2Dream
    Given2Dream Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ziploc bag and a hammer. It's a great stress reliever too :)
  • dbm037
    dbm037 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    fresh is better
    Options
    fresh is better

False. Just sayin.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I prefer the bags over the boxes because they're cheaper per ounce and use less packaging than the boxed kind and you can smash 'em against the counter (or floor!) to loosen up what you need. Just keep a good-sized bag clip or clothes pin to keep the unused portion in the bag while whacking it!
  • misspastry
    misspastry Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I bought boxes of Birds Eye spinach to use in my smoothies but um... how do you separate the frozen spinach? Do I have to thaw and use within a certain amount of time?
    Thanks. :o

Is this a real question??? Wow.........
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    Ziploc bag and a hammer. It's a great stress reliever too :)
    Yep. Carpentry tools work in the kitchen.
  • mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Buy fresh and freeze loosly in Ziploc bags. Way easier
  • FredDoyle
    Options

Well FRED, the boxes of frozen spinach are small enough that ONE would only last a couple of days anyway!
    Nope. Only want to use half this week. Stick to the question.
  • lbrann25
    lbrann25 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Was trying to respond to someone else......sorry!!!
  • kaylacollinscna
    kaylacollinscna Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I ended up using the ziploc and the hammer xD Thanks for the advice everyone.
    And MissPastry, yes it was an actual question... I didn't want to use the whole block but I was running out of ways I could think of getting the spinach apart other than thawing it and separating it that way. I didn't have much luck with using the knife by the way >.> But me and sharp objects are never a good combination.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,991 Member
    Options
    fresh is better

False. Just sayin.
    Nutrient wise, your right. Never use the product, and never will, so in that context fresh is better.:smile:
  • bakemma
    bakemma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The answer to your question is a serrated knife and a cutting board. Just cut it into the cubes that you want to you and put the rest of the frozen cubes in a baggie and put them back in the freezer.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I buy a brand called Europes Best which is in little blocks inside a bag which is super convenient for smoothies. I add it to soups all the time as well.