Is exercise bad for you?

Options
I recently just had a very informative doctors appointment. I have been a big girl my entire life, so doctor appointments tend to be the same thing... Regardless of what I am giong in for *a common cold etc.* my weight is always the issue at hand. This time around however, I had a very informative, lovely doctor. He didn't make me feel like an alien for being so heavy. What he told me... was that doing exercises... such as the eliptical... are bad for you joints and bones. Persistantly moving in ways that aren't natural to our bodies can RUIN our bodies... cause arthiritis etc. He told me the very best thing to do was to get a bike... Now I really do plan on doing this... but how long should I be taking a ride for? I mean, Im not a huge bike rider. I want to make sure I get the right amount of time and effort in. And there HAS to be some other sort of exercises that are good for me! I really like the eliptical, so do I still do it regardless of its possible effects? I mean, being over weight can give me a heartattack, but exercising can have a negative effect as well. Its a vicious cycle really.

Replies

• glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I think anything IN EXCESS can be detrimental to you. I find it disheartening, though, that a doctor would discourage you from a particular exercise, especially if it's one that you enjoyed. The key is to move your body. Period.

Anyhow...How about a good old-fashioned walk? I can burn up to 500 calories in an hour if I choose a hilly area and walk quickly. Certainly our body were designed for that, yes?

Can't help you much on the bicycle thing...bikes are just not my thing. Sorry.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I would be more concerned with being overweight than any damage long term exercise can do. Why not then walk on the treadmill, its a natural movement just has more impact. I am not a Dr, but discouraging a patient who is trying to do something doesnt make sense.
  • millymoo81
    millymoo81 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you're a member of a gym and they have classes then you should try the spin/RPM class. I'm totally addicted to them!
    Classes can run from 30-60 mins and you'll get a really good mix of hill climbs, sprints and resistance style training. High energy class so you're not bored at all.

The great thing is you don't have to plan a route, around weather or even buy a bike. I burn around 550 calories in a 40 min class (tested with heart rate monitor) so not too bad!!

Best of luck :)
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I think exercise is very good for you. My joints aren't great. You just have to find the right kind. I'm starting with walking and some stairs or hills. I also do plain old exercises like leg lifts, crunches, arms with light weights. Swimming is also great. No stress on joints.
  • CudyBug
    CudyBug Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I have a very simple cheap stationary bike that has the arms that move. Doing 30 minutes burns over 200 calories and I dont go that fast. Or walking. I actually shredded 10 lbs in two weeks the first two weeks i started walking daily and watching my calories.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    So here's the thing. Are some exercises worse for your joints and cartilage? Yes. We've know that for decades. But there are some huge things to note about that particular way of thinking.

1) When you're talking about low impact stuff (I.E. elliptical and such), you need to spend an awful lot of time doing it before it really becomes a serious problem.

2) Arthritis and joint issues are annoying, painful, and even possibly debilitating. But they are NOT life threatening. Obesity is, so if you were to have to choose between keeping off the weight and stemming joint issues, I'd choose the weight. You can treat arthritis if it's caught relatively early, you can't really treat death.

3) There are plenty of programs and exercise routines out there that mimic natural body movement. Pilates, weight training, jogging, swimming, bicycle riding, aerobics... etc. etc. Worrying about joint issues is not a good reason to limit your exercise, if something hurts, just find a different routine.
  • dansdeb
    dansdeb Posts: 164
    Options
    It depends on your health and your age. I have always been active, sports of all sorts, gymnastics, swimming, cheerleading etc.. I am paying for it dearly now with arthritic joints. I have already had to have two joints replaced from damage and arthritis. You have to do what is best for you. If you can ride the bike and there is no joint pain and no impact on your joints - go for it. I can't ride the eliptical bike at all, but I can do a stair stepper machine.... depends on you. so set your own pace, find the exercise that is right for you and go for it. You must do some sort of exercise for your heart health and general well being (not to mention weight loss). good luck - don't abuse your body, but keep it active
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    I know that even jillian says to at least do 30 minutes a day....i'd say just until you get used to it, do it 30 minutes a day and then increase in 15 minute increments...

My dr as well has stated certain exercises as being bad for me, not for everyone, but for me because its something my body is not accustomed to and I'm a heart patient so cardio is the best....i did elliptical one day and couldnt walk for a week and thats when he told me that I did not need to put my body through any type of exercise that its not used to...

I said, well dr, obviously i'm not used to any exercise seeing i'm now having to lose weight lol, he said, honey you know what I mean lol.....
  • SuperSushiLove
    Options
    I wouldn't necessarily believe what that guy said. Doctors are not omniscient by any means and in my experience most have barely any clue what they are talking about. All I know is that I have two bum knees from sports injuries and the elliptical is the only vigorous exercise I can do that doesn't leave me unable to walk from pain. I don't really think it is an unnatural body movement either, if it was it wouldn't feel comfortable. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Do what feels good to you! Everyone is different and has different experiences. YOU know your body best. :)
  • jlynch0511
    jlynch0511 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is actually not hard on your knees, ankles, and feet compared to running for example. It is almost the same movement as cycling. Just be sure you are not locking your knees, always keep them soft. As far as how much cycling it would depend on several vaiables. If you take a cycling class (or spinning class) then they work you pretty hard (in a good way) and that should be enough for the day. (for me personally, my cycling class usually ends up doing about 4-5 miles in an hour class) If you are cycling on your own outdoors, start with doing as much as you can do. I wouldn't go too far that you have no energy to return home. Also, are there hills? Flat road? That is something you'll need to consider too.
    Being overweight can also cause damage to your joints. Your knees for example are at risk. Losing 10 pounds can reduce the risk of developing knee problems dramatically. (I have seen a huge reduction in pain level and improved functionality in my knees since I've lost 20 pounds.)
    In general, start slow and easy, maybe a half hour ride and gradually increase. Just see what works for you. :-)
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I think anything IN EXCESS can be detrimental to you. I find it disheartening, though, that a doctor would discourage you from a particular exercise, especially if it's one that you enjoyed. The key is to move your body. Period.

Anyhow...How about a good old-fashioned walk? I can burn up to 500 calories in an hour if I choose a hilly area and walk quickly. Certainly our body were designed for that, yes?

Can't help you much on the bicycle thing...bikes are just not my thing. Sorry.

my record is 1100 cals in an hour in a high intensity spin class
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    I really do think its about doing the exercises that work for YOUR body. I have a lot of people tell me I should do elliptical over treadmill due to my bad feet. I have tried the elliptical and my knees kill during and after. Its a very uncomfortable ache and it makes the exercise not enjoyable or sustainable. I dont feel like I get a very good workout when I do one of the sitting bikes. I do however love the workout I get on the treadmill. I started with just walking, and now I am in week 3 of C25k. Its what works for me.

I would say if you are gonna bike, go for 30 mins (even if its just slow pace) to start. You can then work on increasing your speed and the length of time you work out. I would also say go for walks.
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    definitely do whats comfortable.....i wouldnt say to not listen to the dr because dr's are professionals and know more than what people give them credit....and I know that my body, by it being very out of work and out of shape....i do listen to my dr because honestly, there are so many ways to work out and lose weight at a healthy pace and not end up on joint medicine, arthritis etc...no joint and arthritis etc aren't as serious as obesity, but if you do something about the obesity while maintaining your joints then you solve 2 problems at one time....

i will never recommend to not worry about your joints etc just to lose weight because your body in a whole needs to be in shape....i want to lose my whole 150 but not at the price of forever joint and arthritis pain...therefore, do whats comfortable for you....when i lose my whole 150 lbs, i will be in full and good shape with no joint/arthritis etc pain because I am listening to my dr and maintaining at a healthy pace....

not trying to argue or step on toes....but your body in general should be just as important as weight loss; therefore, kill 2 birds in one stone and do whats not hurting you and what your dr recommends....
  • mostein
    mostein Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Did the doctor mention that being overweight is hard on your bones and joints as well and is why so many obese people end up riding on those scooter-type thing's. You don't need to be extreme with exercising to get great benefits for your heart, mind and body. I am not big into running because I find it hard on my body but I use a stationary bike for 30 minutes and also do spinning classes. I don't find them to be hard on my body yet they still get my heart pumping and I feel great afterwards!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    So here's the thing. Are some exercises worse for your joints and cartilage? Yes. We've know that for decades. But there are some huge things to note about that particular way of thinking.

1) When you're talking about low impact stuff (I.E. elliptical and such), you need to spend an awful lot of time doing it before it really becomes a serious problem.

2) Arthritis and joint issues are annoying, painful, and even possibly debilitating. But they are NOT life threatening. Obesity is, so if you were to have to choose between keeping off the weight and stemming joint issues, I'd choose the weight. You can treat arthritis if it's caught relatively early, you can't really treat death.

3) There are plenty of programs and exercise routines out there that mimic natural body movement. Pilates, weight training, jogging, swimming, bicycle riding, aerobics... etc. etc. Worrying about joint issues is not a good reason to limit your exercise, if something hurts, just find a different routine.

YES! This!

Not to mention that caring around more weight than your body was designed to carry around all day, every day can also cause you joint pain!

I have a long history of knee problems. When I weighed 160 lbs and my knees would hurt terribly just standing for too long. After losing just 10 lbs I remember thinking about how much better my knees felt. I was also exercising during this time and strengthening the muscles around my knees, so that may have also helped them to feel better. Point being, my knees feel a whole lot better NOW (lighter and more active) than they ever did while I was heavier and mostly sedentary.
  • SammyLynn010
    SammyLynn010 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Okay so let's think about this--being overweight to any degree increases your risk of infections, joint issues, diabetes, heart disease, stroke, heart attacks--the list goes on and on... This doctor says that exercise can cause joint issues--okay so don't exercise and risk more things or exercise and take the chance of having joint issues. Just because your exercise doesn't mean that you are going to have those things go wrong... However--being overweight has proven time and time again to lead to the things that I listed above. I know he was just trying to be helpful but you have to weigh out the cost and balances. I applaud that you are still willing to do SOMETHING to get your exercise in...just remember that while Doctors are smart and informative they don't always have the right answers. You have to decide what is right for YOU! (This coming from a Nurse who takes orders from Doctors all day) There comes a point when you have to decide what you will listen to and what you will just take with a grain of salt because you know you are doing the right thing in the long run. Most of us will have joint issues reguardless of exercise or not because it comes as a part of aging--so why not just push forward and make your body healthier now so when those issues come along you are more than ready to take them on!!!

Good luck to you!
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    Walking and running is probably the most natural exercise, as our species has relied on it since the dawn of our existance. There were no bicycles on the savannah. Walking and running also don't require any special equiptment, outside of shoes.

I have had some knee and sciatic issues and the eliptical was what was recommended by my orthopedic surgeon, physical therapist, exercise physiologist, and my internist. They said it is the best thing at the gym for a good workout with low impact on the joints.
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    and remember...the dr didnt say to not workout, he just said your body may not be able to do certain things which is a true fact....listen to his advice...get a bike....i'd say start with 30 minutes and add 15 minutes on as comfortable...also do some water aerobics and cardio....awesome work outs.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    A lot of great advice here. I find it ironic that the elliptical would be considered bad as it is so low impact. Remember to start slow and steady. You can increase intensity as you go.

I found the elliptical to be even easier than walking. Swimming if you have access is also amazing!

My knees are my week point and I wear a compression brace to help. I have also been doing exercises to strengthen them.

Funny....when I weighed 183 (I am 5 ft 1 and 1/2 inches tall) I THOUGHT I had arthritis. After losing the weight, I don't think it was arthritis at all. The more you lose the better your joints will feel.

Keep going! Just do something! Anything!!! Start with sit and fit if that is what you can manage and work up from there. The tortoise won the race not the rabbit!!

D
  • hunniehottie007
    Options
    This is by far the most helpful site I've ever been on! I posted this maybe a half hour ago and have gotten so much awesome advice. In fact, its making me want to go work out right now ;) Thank you so much everyone... And I dont think my doctor was trying to be a jerk. He was really nice... and was the first doctor that didn't make me feel like complete scum of the earth for being big. He has genuine concerns for me and has inspired me greatly. Once again, thank you so much for all of your help. Turns out a couple sore joints is far less painful than obesity stricken diseases.