Can it be done?

Options
So in a moment of insanity I signed up to do a 5k run in September. Great right? WRONG! I haven't ran more than a block to catch the bus in almost 2 decades. Not to mention I am 100+ pounds overweight. Oh and did I mention that I am on a team with several physically fit people all of who regularly run 5k's in under 30 minutes.

So the question is is this something that can be done? And can I get to the point where I can keep up with them?

By the way I will be starting C25k next Monday on an indoor track...Or should I try the treadmill first?

Any thoughts/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    You can do it! The couch25k program is great. Stick with it and you will be able to complete a 5k by September. Keep up with your food logging, and your weight loss will be amazing as well, which will help the running:) I started on the treadmill, but did one day (Saturday or Sunday) on the track. The race will be on a track or street, so you might as well get used to it. I personally like being outside better, especially if the weather is nice. Don't worry about finishing in under 30 min, just finish.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Plenty of time and yes it can be done. Go for the track! Good luck and happy training. You will be amazed at what you are going to be able to do. Definitely don't worry about the time, just work on running the full distance
  • kidakiwi
    kidakiwi Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks ya'll, I started thinking about how out of shape I am and needed some reassurance that I wasn't completely bat **** crazy.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Yes it can be done - and don't worry about keeping up with the people you signed up with...Just go your own pace and if a walk break is needed, then take it! No shame in that
  • leonaedithlewis
    leonaedithlewis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You can do it. There is plenty of time to train and starting on the indoor track is a great plan. C25K will get you there. Don't worry about keeping up with your speedier friends, just finish.
  • leonaedithlewis
    leonaedithlewis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks ya'll, I started thinking about how out of shape I am and needed some reassurance that I wasn't completely bat **** crazy.

You are not crazy, totally reasonable goal! It sounds like fun.
  • looplulu
    looplulu Posts: 21
    Options
    You're not crazy! I have just as much weight to lose and will probably also run a 5k toward the end of summer. I'm currently on week 3 of the C25K plan and it sucks, but it does get easier! I feel stronger everyday and actually look forward to running.

If I were you, I would choose the track instead of the treadmill. I hate running on treadmills, but that's just me.

Run at your own pace and have fun with it :)
  • mrso97
    mrso97 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    you can totally do this!! I did the same thing in November...I volunteered for a 10k when I had never run in my life..i started c210k in November..i ran the 10k in March in 67 minutes..(not rock star...but respectable) I now run 4 to 5 days a week for 3.5 to 5.5 miles...YOU CAN DO IT..just take your time...breathe and follow the program...I LOVE RUNNING...never thought I would ever say that!
  • mrso97
    mrso97 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I ran outside all winter (in buffalo, ny) I did run on an indoor track..3 times...I cant run on the treadmill..im always afraid I will fall off...:laugh: