Newbie here. I went from 180 to 145 and now I'm stuck

Options
I have been doing two miles on the treadmill on a 3.5-4.0 speed and eating less. It has been working for me but is now harder for me to lose weight. What should I do?

Replies

• jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Eat less.

Working out can get you to a point, if it's causing you to be in a calorie deficit, but at a certain point you have to really watch what you're eating and make sure you're in a deficit to continue losing.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Increase your calories by 200,
    I do not know why this worked but it did for me
  • MsxlntLee
    Options
    haha well i am also new here ..unfortunately I went from 145 to 180...ok ok 191..so I am not sure I can help you other than to say..at the end of the day the formula is burn more than you intake...so increase cardio perhaps?
  • JaneleLynn
    Options
    Change up your routine/cardio. Our bodies don't work as hard when you get too familiar with the routine. Circuit training is awesome! Try it :)
  • Odiliawine
    Odiliawine Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Have you been doing the same exercises continuously? If so your body can get stuck in a rut and resist losing more. Try different exercises, especially weight lifting! That should help with the plateau
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Weightlift
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Increase your calories by 200,
    I do not know why this worked but it did for me

Okay, this could cause some confusion. My initial post was made under the impression that you are not currently at a deficit, but it really is hard to say unless we know what you're eating is like currently. If you've been at too much of a deficit, this advice works, but if not then you need to create a deficit.
  • charleneagilmore
    charleneagilmore Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Great work on the drop from 180 t0 145. The first is where I am now (after losing the last 5 lbs about ten times) and the latter is my goal weight.

I'd suggest checking out the types of calories you are eating. I can't see your logs or anything, but if you aren't eating wholesome food, even w/ lower calories, you'll eventually get stuck. Try to avoid artificial sweeteners and processed foods. Real fruits and veggies will get you a lot of great nutrients, but keep your calories in check.

You can also try to up your speed or distance on treadmill, but I'd suggest some weight training and possibly add in something like yoga for strength. More muscles will help you burn more calories.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    1. Re-Calculate your TDEE/BMR
    2. Give your body a "REST"
    3. Change up your exercise routine
    4. Tweak your diet
    5. Measure yourself & take progress pictures

*Are you SURE you're not over-exercising and not eating back?
    *Are you accurately measuring food you consume
    *Are you retaining water/drinking enough water/watching your sodium intake?

& please make your diary public when asking for advice. It helps.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    In general, as you close in on lower body fat, you need to have less of a deficit (eat MORE) in order to continue shedding fat.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    lift heavy weights, run less, eat at least 1700 calories a day. worked really well for me.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    oops, here is a great post about why running isn't the win all of weight loss:

http://luciustirey.wordpress.com/2013/04/16/why-women-should-not-run-kiefer-dh/