Any experienced runners..

Options
Iv been runnin in th PM. Tomorrow I want to run in the AM. Do I eat before hand or after, and how much?

Replies

• LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Iv been runnin in th PM. Tomorrow I want to run in the AM. Do I eat before hand or after, and how much?

keep your same schedule ie if you eat before your run in the PM eat before your AM run
  • shelbyjane2007
    shelbyjane2007 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you! :)
  • Zaria_Athena
    Zaria_Athena Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    How long are you running?
  • kategettingbuff
    Options
    I could never run in the AM on an empty stomach. I would start to feel very nauseous. I also would run out of gas more quickly than if I ate before hand. :)
  • shelbyjane2007
    Options
    About a mile running. It's three miles all together. (Not running the whole time tho. I'm doing the couch to 5k )
  • shelbyjane2007
    Options
    Ok thank you :)
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the person but definitely if you eat before your evening run, do so for the AM as well. Can be something big enough to hold you over 'til you get back and then have an actual breakfast such as toast with a bit of peanut butter and a banana, cereal with milk, etc. something light yanno?
  • shelbyjane2007
    Options
    Ok thanks. I usually have lunch at 1215 a snack (fruit) at 330, and run at 430. So maybe a granola bar, then breakfast afterwards??
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I'd do a bit more than just a granola bar personally but if you're just going for 3 miles or so I'd ad a bit of peanut butter, a banana or something...I could NEVER go out on a 3-miler with just granola in me...
  • shelbyjane2007
    Options
    Haha ok :) your very rite. Thank you.
  • trdepalo
    trdepalo Posts: 106
    Options
    Wow interesting responses - I've always run in the morning and never ever ever would I eat beforehand. Even when I trained for a half marathon back in high school I never ate before I ran... except maybe on race day because it was later in the day like 10AM so it was after breakfast. I think it really depends on what feels good for you. I read an article about this ultra runner who is like the fastest man in the world, and he doesn't eat or drink during his runs save for berries he finds in the forests and water straight out of streams, but he's an extreme case.
  • sailawaykate
    Options
    I go with a half a banana or similar about 15-20 mins before my run (I go for 4 miles-ish in the am), then finish it after. Any more than that and I get sick to my stomach/cramps midway through since I don't have the time to wait for it to digest, and if I don't eat I get worn out faster--also be sure to drink some water before you go!
  • shelbyjane2007
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I guess it will be something I'll just have to try till I figure my body out on the AM.
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I always eat a piece of orowheat bread with a tablespoon of peanut butter and half sliced banana at least an hour before. If I dont I get very light headed and dizzy
  • paiger0321
    Options
    I run college track and not eating before workouts and runs is one of the biggest mistakes that many people make! It is important to have some fuel in your system. Think of yourself as a car. You wouldn't want to drive a car with no gas in it! Similarly, you don't want to try to push your body with nothing in it. You want to fuel yourself with the best, high quality "fuel" available! Generally, a small snack or at least some food an hour to thirty minutes before a run is sufficient. Make sure you also drink water. You want to keep your pre-run meal light and not loaded with fats or refined sugars. As some have suggested, fruit is a good option- bananas, an apple, and berries are good options. For something a little more substantial, homemade oatmeal is great and the healthy carbs will keep you energized. Whole wheat toast with a tablespoon of peanut butter is also a good option, as is a small handful of almonds and raisins- the healthy fats and natural sugars are wonderful running fuel. Many people find that eating dairy before running can cause discomfort. What you eat before runs depends a lot on personal preference. Try a few different things and see what suits you and your body best. Make sure to hydrate before, during, and after runs! Unless you are running for more than 60 minutes, water should be fine and Gatorade/Powerade is unnecessary and is just added unhealthy sugar. Best of luck!
  • pigeonman123
    Options
    I have been running since 1994, but what I do works for me, and what will work best for you is what you will find out as you try different things. With that being said, what I do is eat very light (toast and peanut butter or a granola bar) 10 minutes before the run, so I do not boink ( the low blood sugar feeling) in the middle of a 2 or 3 mile run. Any more than that and the run is bogged down with a stomach that wants the blood flow to digest food while the muscles are calling for the blood flow to the legs. That can give you the body bending cramps.
  • Zaria_Athena
    Zaria_Athena Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Every runner is different and you have to figure out what works for you and your stomach.

I prefer morning runs.

If I'm do a regular run (5-6k) then I won't eat anything. If I'm starving I'll have half a banana.
    If I'm doing a long run (10k- 32k) then I'll eat - usually almond butter on bread.

I don't like the feeling of food sloshing in my stomach.
    If you are feeling light-headed or without energy during your run then have something light like fruit.

Good luck.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    If you normally eat before then eat before, you do not HAVE to eat before though. It's up to each person. I can't run if I have ha anything to eat cause it does upset my stomach more. So I eat about an hour after it. Just do what you normally do...AM or PM it's all the same to a run.
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    What works for one person might not work for another. Personally, I run on a completely empty stomach. I ran 15 miles on Sunday having not eaten since 7Pm the night before.

Jen

jenhudsonmosher.blogspot.com
  • divaindy
    divaindy Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat before I run either sometimes a piece of fruit or oatmeal if I do and I run any where from 3 to 10 miles.