Help, maybe the men know "/

Options
Okay so I've been walking and exercising regularly. But whenever I walk over 25-30 minutes my calves begin to hurt really bad. I strech before walking, I so squats and the chair pose before and after but I don't know why this is happening. Any ideas?

Replies

• FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    not sure why this would happen... but, when you're stretching before, are you warmed up? Possibly starting slowly and building up your pace might help - also stretching the calves AFTER is very important. You should hold your stretch for at least 30 seconds to give the message to your calf muscles to relax. Stretching when you are not warmed up could be doing more damage than good.
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    It is muscle fatigue more than likely, just takes time for them to build up endurance like it takes time to build muscle. If it goes away after you are done and have rested some it is most likely that.
  • ischmelle
    ischmelle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    What kind of shoes are you walking in? Shoes make a HUGE difference and if you aren't using the proper shoes, your legs will hurt for sure. I started running in the wrong shoes and my legs would hurt for hours afterward, no matter how much stretching I did. I changed my shoes and Viola! My legs didn't hurt anymore! Good luck and no matter what keep it up! :)
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    It could also be shin splints (which I suffer from and it's debilitating) - that does not specifically affect the shin bones it has to do with your calves completely. There's a lot of info on the web about what different kinds of pain are associated with shin splints and how to take care of them. Stretching is good, you may have to stretch when you wake up, before bed and some more throughout the day. You also might want to try low impact exercize like biking or swimming until you build up some muscle and lose weight.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    not sure why this would happen... but, when you're stretching before, are you warmed up? Possibly starting slowly and building up your pace might help - also stretching the calves AFTER is very important. You should hold your stretch for at least 30 seconds to give the message to your calf muscles to relax. Stretching when you are not warmed up could be doing more damage than good.
    That's what I was just thinking, warm up before an actiivity, stretch after an actiivity. Warm ups can be most anything, jogging in place for a couple minutes, walking slowly for the first bit of your walk etc., just to get your muscles warm so everything isn't all tight. Slow at the begining especially if you're first starting out at this.

Good luck
  • Winter0916
    Winter0916 Posts: 80
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the help. Yes after I stop and relax pain goes away, I do strech and warm up, jump rope or jumping jacks for at least 1 minutes and then stretch. But I think I figured out what part of the problem is, didn't even think about it. Most of the time I walk in flip flops "/ maybe that's the issue. The thing is I would walk home from work, which by public transportation can be 25-40 depends on traffic. When I walk, I walk briskly but pretty fast and usually make it home in 45-55 minutes. Thanks guys, I 'll try using sneakers all the time and see what happens.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the help. Yes after I stop and relax pain goes away, I do strech and warm up, jump rope or jumping jacks for at least 1 minutes and then stretch. But I think I figured out what part of the problem is, didn't even think about it. Most of the time I walk in flip flops "/ maybe that's the issue. The thing is I would walk home from work, which by public transportation can be 25-40 depends on traffic. When I walk, I walk briskly but pretty fast and usually make it home in 45-55 minutes. Thanks guys, I 'll try using sneakers all the time and see what happens.
    Oh my flip-flops, yikes. I'll bet that's it. They can be fun for boppin around in the Summer but as shared you'd definitely want some good foot support for walking. Glad you're going to switch it up, do hope that takes care of the pain, might be a bit of pain for a short time but then you legs will get used to it.

I think flip-flops use different muscles in our feet/legs so that might be exactly what's been going on, you poor thing, here you are trying to get a good workout in and end up in pain. :ohwell:

Let us know how it goes with shoes on! :drinker:
    Becca
  • Anely05
    Anely05 Posts: 15
    Options
    I've seen show's like Dr. Oz and news programs also talking about the dangers of flip flops. Dr Oz said many podiatrists consider flip flops to be the most dangerous shoes we wear. When you step and put weight on your foot, if there is no arch support, you can get tears in your Plantar Fascia that do not heal since there is not a lot of blood supply in that area. He did mention that you can get Flip Flops with better arch support and a bit of elevation in your heel. There are many brands of these...Including the ones that I wear FitFlops. I love them and can walk in them for hours with no pain or without getting tired. Yeah I know they're ugly LOL! Here's a good site with many supporting flip flops brands: http://www.soleprovisionsshop.com.

Read this article too when you get a chance...: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/06/21/earlyshow/health/main4200038.shtml
  • Winter0916
    Winter0916 Posts: 80
    Options
    Thanks, I started walkign and exersicing with sneakers on and I haven't ben feeling that much pain, so I guess it's working :)