Lunch on the Go Suggestions?

Options
Resa52
Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
On Saturdays, I work two jobs and generally eat my lunch while standing behind a counter at my second job. Prior to my "healthier lifestyle" I would have a giant chocolate chip muffin that I could snack on throughout my shift when time allowed. Turns out said muffin, while obviously not healthy, was also 720 calories. Yikes.

I'm kind of at a loss of what else I can have for lunch. It has to be something that doesn't need to be refrigerated and that I can prepare at 7 am but not eat until 1:30. I don't have access to a microwave and since it's also something I need to be able to set down instantly to help customers, ring someone up, etc, it has to be very simple. When I think "healthy snacks" I instantly jump to things like carrot sticks and watermelon, but that's really not filling enough to be lunch....

I'm allergic to nuts of all kinds, so a peanut butter sandwich or nuts are out of the question. Suggestions of things that I can either eat in my car driving between jobs or eat while on the go at work that will keep me full until suppertime? I'm sure I'm overthinking this, so feel free to point out obvious things.

Replies

• ewl6850
    ewl6850 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I eat lunch and dinner at work pretty much every day. I have gotten in the habit of stopping at the local grocer and picking up a large turkey sub, and eating 1/4 of it at each meal. So one sub ($9.00) lasts me 2 days, 4 meals, quick and easy and comes out to less than 400 calories a piece.
  • Atishi87
    Atishi87 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese/greek yogurt/string cheese. You can leave these at room temp. for a few hours without them spoiling along with an apple/banana and a can of tuna. That should make for a healthy meal that's filling too.
  • RedneckMomma77
    RedneckMomma77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    A can of tuna fish, greek yogurt, an apple, and a banana.
  • countessvonfangbang
    countessvonfangbang Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you like eggs then they're a great protein source for lunches. Not just hardboiled but there are 100 different ways to have them for lunch. I like them in egg salad, it's a little weird but I grew up on a scrambled egg salad sandwiches that have plain yogurt and paprika. Also deviled eggs but with avocado instead of mayo. Then the obvious sunny side up between a couple pieces of bread.
  • sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Buy yourself a lunch kit that has room for an icepack. I use laptop lunch boxes, not the cheapest, but easy and durable and I like the little containers inside for portion control. There's plenty of options out there. Then you can make yourself a wrap, hummus and pita, salad, fruits, veggies pretty much anything you want. Nice variety and I end up spending less time agonizing over what to pack since it has an icepack and I can put just about anything in it.
  • kamigirl2281
    Options
    I'm trying to think about food that would be quick and not need to be in a fridge. You really don't want food that needs to be refridgerated sitting out at room temp for more than 4 hours because bacteria can grow on it.

Have you ever tried those tuna/ham/chicken salad packs that come with crackers? Fruit is another good option. Maybe some dry whole grain cereal in a baggie? You could take a lunch bag of an assortment of snacks that would add up to a decent lunch maybe. I wish I could be more help!
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Hummus with veggies
    Hummus veggies wrap
    Hummus and tomato sandwich
    Greek yogurt and fruit
    Egg cups
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Impoverished student suggestions:
    - cold, earlier prepared seasoned cous cous with a small tin of tuna (pack seperately and add tuna at lunch)
    - seasonal fruit and veggies
    - lentil salad
    - precooked brown rice with roasted vegetables and herbs (add hard boiled egg or tuna for extra protien)
    - home made trail mix (more fruit less nuts)

If you have an ice pack that fits in the bottom of a water tight lunch box you can pack individual serves of yogurt and pre cooked cold cut meats.. I double bag my ice pack in zip lock bags so my food doesn't get soggy : )

Making time for preparing food is often the hardest thing but once you have a routine it does get easier and you can save a TON of $$
  • michellew91
    michellew91 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If your shift is more than four hours long, you have the right to take a fifteen minute break. This should be enough time to eat something substantial. No one is going to tell you to do it, so stand up for yourself! At my work, I always keep a box of meal bars in my lockers to keep me away from the vending machine during breaks.
  • sjcook23
    sjcook23 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    lunch meat - I like to roll them up like appetizers. Light Baby Bell rounds. Cut up veggies. Triscuts or Whole Grain Pepperidge Farm Fish. Wraps are always great too. Sushi!!! Don't know if you access to a microwave, but soup in a Coffee travel mug is good too. Fresh berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries). Grapes.
  • Jetta1492
    Jetta1492 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Check out Go Picnic meals. I have to take lunches that I can eat on the go. I have no access to a microwave or fridge while @ work. I love Go Picnic meals. They are very good, healthy and shelf-stable. They are a little expensive in the grocery stores but you can order them online at Amazon.com for about $3.50 a meal. Recently, I have began making imitation go picnic lunches myself & have saved some $$$. I purchase the components of the meals from a local grocery store & make a weeks' worth of lunches ahead. I grab a meal as I am leaving the house. Easy and convenient. Making something similar to the Go Picnic meals @ home might be a good option since you are allergic to nuts.
  • TesselCat
    TesselCat Posts: 74
    Options
    gMqwP2Rl.jpg
    + (if you want to put in things that might need to be kept chilled a bit)
    41TWWk1FfQL._SY355_.jpg

If you leave the jars a bit less packed, you can actually shake them up a bit and it'll distribute everything so you can sortof eat right from the mason jar, makes it a bit more 'on the go' friendly.

Also, I heard about this ( http://www.kleankanteen.com/products/insulated/klean-kanteen-insulated.php ) and have been ogling it for a while. Keeping things warm for 6 hours would be a nice way to get something warmish for lunch with no microwave.
  • Resa52
    Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    If your shift is more than four hours long, you have the right to take a fifteen minute break. This should be enough time to eat something substantial. No one is going to tell you to do it, so stand up for yourself! At my work, I always keep a box of meal bars in my lockers to keep me away from the vending machine during breaks.

I do get a 15 minute break, but I'm the only person in the entire store, so I still need to help customers if need be. Standing around eating isn't the issue, but it really has to be something I can do while I am still watching the store.