'Clean' eating for arthritis/inflammation?

Options
Which foods are linked with either increasing or decreasing inflammation? I'm prepared to try something new for a couple of months to see if it might help with some inflammation issues.

Have heard cutting dairy and carbs may help. I love my yogurt & cottage cheese, and bread makes life easier in a million ways, but I'd consider trying, if there was a shot it could help.

Replies

• countessvonfangbang
    countessvonfangbang Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You should get an allergy prick test from a doctor. My mom had arthritis and one of the major things that helped her was figuring out exactly what it was that she was allergic to. It's different for everyone and that test will be able to tell you what you specifically are sensitive to.

Regular doctors are a little reluctant to give them but any homeopath/natural doctor will do them. Just make sure it's either a prick test or a blood test not something weird.
  • AmeliaDouglas
    AmeliaDouglas Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've just begun to go wheat/gluten free and have noticed that my knuckles are double size and super painful if I accidentally fall off the wagon. My knees used to be murder and now they feel amazing.
  • CampKelly
    CampKelly Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Interested to hear what people have to say. Bump for later :)
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Wheat/gluten can cause inflammation and joint pain. Eliminating it from my diet has reduced the pain in my thumb joints and knees.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    You should get an allergy prick test from a doctor. My mom had arthritis and one of the major things that helped her was figuring out exactly what it was that she was allergic to. It's different for everyone and that test will be able to tell you what you specifically are sensitive to.

Regular doctors are a little reluctant to give them but any homeopath/natural doctor will do them. Just make sure it's either a prick test or a blood test not something weird.

Right! I didn't know that kind of test could sort things out so quickly; working out allergens always sounds fairly complicated (like doing an exclusion diet or something). Will look into it, thank you.
  • upgetupgetup
    Options
    I've just begun to go wheat/gluten free and have noticed that my knuckles are double size and super painful if I accidentally fall off the wagon. My knees used to be murder and now they feel amazing.
    Wheat/gluten can cause inflammation and joint pain. Eliminating it from my diet has reduced the pain in my thumb joints and knees.

Yes, this is what I've heard! Is there a good resource (blog/book) that's worth looking into?

Glad you both feel better!
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    My coworker has arthritis, and she swears that eliminating tomatoes and citrus fruits from her diet has drastically reduced her symptoms.
  • upgetupgetup
    Options
    Argh, love tomatoes :frown: Thank you :)
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Which foods are linked with either increasing or decreasing inflammation? I'm prepared to try something new for a couple of months to see if it might help with some inflammation issues.

Have heard cutting dairy and carbs may help. I love my yogurt & cottage cheese, and bread makes life easier in a million ways, but I'd consider trying, if there was a shot it could help.

have you cut out gluten yet? that's the biggest inflammatory culprit.

EDIT: shoulda read the thread. Wheat Belly is the big one going around these days as far as books are concerned.
  • upgetupgetup
    Options

No, I haven't.. argh this is going to be hard (because, delicious rye bread is delicious). Coach, you must know of a good book or two, can you make a recommendation?

edit: lol. Awesome, thank you :)
  • CoachReddy
    Options

No, I haven't.. argh this is going to be hard (because, delicious rye bread is delicious). Coach, you must know of a good book or two, can you make a recommendation?

I hear you - I really thought cutting out gluten would be tough, but it's actually been incredibly easy for me. i'll still splurge on pizza or something every now and again, but even drastically reducing your gluten intake will help tremendously.
  • countessvonfangbang
    countessvonfangbang Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Definitely go check it out.

I don't have arthritis myself but with my mom she tried everything including cutting out gluten. After she got the tests done she found out it was dairy, beef and pineapple. It's going to be different for everyone so definitely go in and see a doctor.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    My coworker has arthritis, and she swears that eliminating tomatoes and citrus fruits from her diet has drastically reduced her symptoms.

http://arthritis.about.com/b/2006/09/25/nightshade-vegetables-should-people-with-arthritis-avoid-nightshade-foods.htm
  • upgetupgetup
    Options

I hear you - I really thought cutting out gluten would be tough, but it's actually been incredibly easy for me. i'll still splurge on pizza or something every now and again, but even drastically reducing your gluten intake will help tremendously.

That's hopeful, then!! Amazing, I think I could live with that, or at least try for a bit. Thanks!
  • upgetupgetup
    Options
    Definitely go check it out.

I don't have arthritis myself but with my mom she tried everything including cutting out gluten. After she got the tests done she found out it was dairy, beef and pineapple. It's going to be different for everyone so definitely go in and see a doctor.

Will do! Thanks :)

@Glassslippers - appreciate the link :)
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    fatty fish like sardines, salmon, flax seed- make sure it's ground or it will pass through
    all good for being anit inflammatory

i'm not sure if it would help at all, but i swear when ate greens more often
    spinach, kale or whatever you like,
    seems to really help if I have heartburn or having it less often
    greens are loaded with healthy nutrients and if you love tomatoes you're
    probably already eating them, since they pair so well together.

a cinnamon and honey mask is great for my acne
    both possibly anti inflammatory, anti bacterial
    plus you smell awesome after :)
  • CoachReddy
    Options

That's hopeful, then!! Amazing, I think I could live with that, or at least try for a bit. Thanks!

no problem. really what I've ended up doing is simple - breakfast is bacon and eggs typically, with fruit/nuts/etc, lunch is a big *kitten* salad that's kind of my favorite meal of the day because I can mix it up daily. A salad can have as many or as few calories as you want, as much protein or fat as you want, it's lowish carb and gluten free. win win. Dinner is usually meat/chicken/fish and veggies or rice. and I munch on fruit and nuts throughout the day with a shake thrown in for good measure.

who said gluten free was tough! :P

I would, however, caution against splurging for gluten free versions of things that usually have wheat in them like pasta/bread/etc - just because they're typically heavily processed, and have lots of wacky ingredients. Better to just have your rye bread every now and again, but just make it an occasional treat, and see how you feel when you've been GF for a while compared to when you aren't.

Good luck!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    http://video.about.com/lowcarbdiets/Tips-for-Making-Low-Carb-Bread.htm

http://ohsheglows.com/categories/recipes-2/food-allergies/gluten-free/
    14 pages of recipes and they all look delicious :)

she has some awesome desserts on here.
    her home made reese's cups look heavenly
    made with homemade pb
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    bump for reference.
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I looked up some info on that last year when I got serious about this cause of my knee issues. Here's the list I came up with from different sources:
    Anti-Inflammatory Foods

Turmeric
    Wild caught salmon
    Shiitake mushrooms
    Green tea
    blueberries
    extra virgin olive oil
    broccoli
    ginger
    cinnamon
    garlic
    curry
    fish
    fish oil
    walnuts
    steel-cut oats
    berries
    spinach
    oranges
    brown rice
    avocados

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02995/Dr-Weil-Anti-Inflammatory-Food-Pyramid.html