How to use 8lbs of strawberries

Options
Tubbs216
Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
So I found myself with 24lbs of strawberries. I've washed, trimmed and frozen a third. Made a bucketload of purée. Kids have had all the smoothies they can stomach for now. I'm left with about 8lbs.

Ideas?

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    dehydrate them, and then use them in oatmeal and/or homemade yogurt. Make fruit rollups with them. freezing them is always good
  • sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    If you can get your hands on some rhubarb, strawberry-rubarb pie! If not strawberry preserves are pretty easy and it won't be an all day affair with only 8 lbs. Lucky you! I probably would have eaten the first 2 pounds trying to figure out what to do with them. Love them :)
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Dig out your dehydrator if you have one. Cut the strawberries and spray them with lemon juice. Put them in the dehydrator. They are wonderful.
  • sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bump for a really good idea!
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I would just freeze the rest or make some pie, jam or some other sweet
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,761 Member
    Options
    I was in the middle of replying and lost it, so if you get two from me, sorry about that!

I love them in fruit salad, regular salad, over cereal or oatmeal, and of course, plain! If they'll last a bit more, you can cut them up in a container and if they aren't too sweet, add a bit of sugar or Truvia to it (a teaspoon-my Mom does this). You can have them for dessert that way, and they'll be ready to go on or in anything you want to make with them. Spinach salads are definitely a good one for strawberries!

I think the questions are how much more can you eat and how are they holding up? If not much on both, I'd freeze half and save them for later so you can enjoy what you have left. You CAN have them over angel food cake, it's lower calorie than most cake, and depending on whipped cream brands, a squirt or two isn't too high in calories. I had berries on Easter and skipped the angel food cake that I love for a squirt of whipped cream at 25 calories a squirt.

If you're thinking of making something with strawberries aside of the above like some type of muffin, let us know and I can crack open the cookbooks! Oooh, strawberry vinagrette if you like fruity vinagrettes!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,761 Member
    Options
    I agree with strawberry preserves! You can keep the berries chunky and lower sugar so it's not as bad for you and add it to yogurts along with bread.

I'm getting my CSA box tonight and am hoping I get strawberries in there, I'm craving them now! :happy:
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    All of these ideas are excellent and very helpful; but if you find yourself at a complete loss, why not donate them to a local shelter or something?
  • bocacats
    bocacats Posts: 3
    Options
    I keep a large bowl of greek yogurt with strawberries and splenda in fridge, Good for breakfast or snacks. Tonight i crumbled some vanilla wafers on top for a dessert. You could make a Daiquiri...LOL!!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Here's my idea.

Cut off the tops of strawberries
    Cut strawberries in half
    Fill bathtub with chocolate
    Dump in halved stawberries
    Take off clothes
    Get in bathtub
    Bask in the awesome.
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    Here's my idea.

Cut off the tops of strawberries
    Cut strawberries in half
    Fill bathtub with chocolate
    Dump in halved stawberries
    Take off clothes
    Get in bathtub
    Bask in the awesome.

Win!!

Thanks for all the great ideas. Pie sounds really good actually. Or crumble. It's too early for my rhubarb to be up here, unfortunately.

I may take some in to work to share the love.
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    All of these ideas are excellent and very helpful; but if you find yourself at a complete loss, why not donate them to a local shelter or something?
    Good idea - in fact these came from a giant shipment, a big chunk of which is going to shelters and the food bank already.
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    How about strawberries dipped in chocolate? You can buy a package of chocolate that you heat up in the microwave and dip. I used to bring it to my daughters for dessert and the kids loved it (the adults did too).
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    If you're not all sick of yogurt from the smoothies, make parfaits with granola.
  • amyg007
    amyg007 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Infuse into some water, make a reduced balsamic and drizzle on the berries and add goat cheese, strawberry banana bread/muffins, scones, puree and make into strawberry popsicles!
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Lots of really good ideas here. I brought some into work with me, so now have about 4lbs left.
    Infused water and chocolate dipped are next on the list!