Not eating enough..

Options
Before I started this lifestyle change, I didn't eat mush to begin with. I just ate all the wrong things and I was addicted to Mountain dew, I could drink 7-8 cans a day. Horrible I know but I am really loving water and so is my body. Anyways, I am only eating around 1,000-1,200 calories usually. I can't eat no more than that, I am full and feeling the best I have in years. I just wanted to make sure that I am not under eating? People keep saying if I don't eat more than I am not going to lose weight. I also exercise anywhere from 30-60 mins every single day..Also this site is telling me I should eat 2,100 calories a day that seems like a lot to me. What should do?

Replies

• gaiagal3
    gaiagal3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I had a gastric bypass several months ago and cap out at about 800 to 1100 calories a day. However, I've had the bypass so that's totally normal. If you haven't had WLS then you should probably be eating more calories...especially if you're exercising. You can do little things to boost them like eating regular yogurt instead of light, etc. If you are totally comfortable and eating healthy, well balanced meals then stay where you are. However, this is going to become an issue as you progress with your weight loss and can keep you from losing weight since you will be in starvation mode. For now just keep going but if you stop losing then it will be time to start upping your calories.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Increase it with healthy calories like nuts, avocado and peanut butter and low fat cheese. You will soon increase your calories this way.
  • CupcakesAndRazorblades
    Options
    [
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Increase it with healthy calories like nuts, avocado and peanut butter and low fat cheese. You will soon increase your calories this way.

Low fat cottage has less calories than full fat cottage cheese.
    I meant low fat hard cheese - or of course cottage cheese. I find I need to be careful I don't overdo it on fat, when I eat these foods. Lots of people recommend string cheeses- dont know much about it though.
  • KatieSChaisemom
    KatieSChaisemom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have recently started eating more, However,... I prefer to eat between 1100-1200 cals a day. I also feel full. There is another reason for this. I eat a plant based diet. Fruits and vegetables have lower calories than meaty meals do. So it is much easier to get full and stay full on a plant based diet with lower calorie count. If you are eating a meat based diet I do suggest you to eat more calories than you are. For example, you ( hypothetically take a plate with a chicken breast, a veggie, and another side, that is going to have a lot more calories, than a plate full of cooked mushrooms, onions, spinach, and a potato depending on the seasonings on both plates.
  • SweetLove1988
    SweetLove1988 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Before I started this lifestyle change, I didn't eat mush to begin with. I just ate all the wrong things and I was addicted to Mountain dew, I could drink 7-8 cans a day. Horrible I know but I am really loving water and so is my body. Anyways, I am only eating around 1,000-1,200 calories usually. I can't eat no more than that, I am full and feeling the best I have in years. I just wanted to make sure that I am not under eating? People keep saying if I don't eat more than I am not going to lose weight. I also exercise anywhere from 30-60 mins every single day..Also this site is telling me I should eat 2,100 calories a day that seems like a lot to me. What should do?
    Yes you can eat more, you done it before. You wouldn't have gained weight if you didn't do it before. The problem is you're probably on a health trip thinking "i am eating healthy" stop that, eat regular food and you will hit your calorie goals. Eat ice cream or a burger, you'll see.

Your right, I did eat more calories before but they was around the same size meals I am eating now. Just way more calories. I'm going to try and fit something in somewhere. I already feel guilty for the 100 calorie packs..lol. I guess, I'm just being to hard on myself. Thanks.
  • jaz050465
    Options

Low fat cottage has less calories than full fat cottage cheese.
    I meant low fat hard cheese - or of course cottage cheese. I find I need to be careful I don't overdo it on fat, when I eat these foods. Lots of people recommend string cheeses- dont know much about it though.

The issue is that "low fat" any thing has less calories than full fat. A lot of people do the "low fat" thing and wonder why they can't hit their calories.

Depends on how many calories you want to use. Health aspect needs to be taken into account too. Too much cheddar for instance could mean you're eating too much saturated fat- depending on what else you're eating.
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    have a glass of milk with your meal(s) and you'll get some healthy calories without filling you up too much.
  • ClaireBoe
    ClaireBoe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Today it has been 90 days since I started MFP. The program gave me 1200 cal a day, which was fine until last week. All of a sudden, I was hungry all.the.time. Past experience has taught me that constant hunger will make me eat everything in sight, so I adjusted my calories to 1492. I don't usually get that high, but I feel so much better, both emotionally and physically, with my hunger in better control. And? I lost 2 lbs the first week I upped my calories. I have been exercising up to five times per week, so I think my body just needed the additional calories to be properly fueled.

This is the first time in my life that a "diet" has worked this long for me. I have decided that MFP is a lifestyle that I will continue long after I lose all the weight. I, and several of my friends, love it, and are all doing so well with it!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Always eat the maximum amount of calories that leads to fat loss and not the minimum allowance - 1200 net is the minimum allowed on this site. People who choose the latter are at great risk of disordered eating and a very unhealthy and unreasonable relationship with food. In particular, they can develop paranoia about food and calories in general when they strive to drop caloric intake too low which results in fear when increasing back to maintenance.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Always eat the maximum amount of calories that leads to fat loss and not the minimum allowance

Good advice. If you start high, you can always adjust your calories lower as needed. If you start low, there's nowhere to go but up. But I get that you may be having a hard time meeting your calorie goal based on your old eating habits. Mountain Dew has a lot of calories while taking up very little space. Just work toward netting the goal that MFP gives you by adding low-volume, high-calorie foods as others have suggested (nuts, nut butter, cheese, avocado) and stick to the full fat, original version as opposed to the low fat, diet kind.

I just want to throw out there that, like a previous poster, I also eat a plant-based, vegetarian diet (with some fish thrown in a few times a month). On Monday, I ate almost 2000 calories with no meat whatsoever. I did this by eating a large salad (complete with seeds and cheese) for lunch, and vegan stir fry for dinner (breaded tofu cooked in olive oil). And I still lost weight! :smile:

Like I said, just work toward it. We don't want you to force feed yourself or add hundreds of calories to your diet at once, but with the right foods and a little patience, I'm sure you can reach your goal.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Yes you can eat more, you done it before. You wouldn't have gained weight if you didn't do it before. The problem is you're probably on a health trip thinking "i am eating healthy" stop that, eat regular food and you will hit your calorie goals. Eat ice cream or a burger, you'll see.

Your right, I did eat more calories before but they was around the same size meals I am eating now. Just way more calories. I'm going to try and fit something in somewhere. I already feel guilty for the 100 calorie packs..lol. I guess, I'm just being to hard on myself. Thanks.
    Trying to let go of the guilt associated with eating (especially eating a healthy amount) is always a good thing too. :flowerforyou: