Hostess Gift?

Options
cr4491
cr4491 Posts: 7 Member
Am I old fashioned for wanting to bring a hostess gift? I am 24 years old and spending the weekend with a good friend at her mother's home which is 3 hours away. It is almost like a mini vacation for us. I mentioned that I wanted to get her mom a hostess gift, and my friend seemed completely shocked! Do you think hostess gifts are still a good practice?

Replies

• sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    It is very thoughtful of you. Your friend might want to take a lesson. :wink:
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with giving a hostess gift! I think it is one of the better ways of showing gratitude of the hospitality you have been shown. Give away!
  • kaylanlynnNW
    kaylanlynnNW Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I think it's very thoughtful! In a world like we are living in today.... Good old fashion kindness and manners are a rare find! I think it's a neat Idea!
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!! Yes!!!! Yes!!!!
    If you are spening a weekend there it is a super idea. It is a huge deal when someone opens their house to others.
    I think it's a wonderful idea.
    FYI - If I am going somewhere, even just for dinner I usually bring something as a host gift, bottle of wine, what ever!
    Yeah - I'm not the only one that still does this!
  • patricepeop
    patricepeop Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    A hostess gift is always a good idea! It doesn't have to be expensive. It really is the thought that counts. It is very thoughtful of you! Enjoy your weekend!
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    It is very appropriate!! I always make sure I bring something when others are hostessing!
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    I'd bring her a gift... Show's you appreciate her for letting you stay there... =) VERY thoughtful, and, if I may add.. haha there needs to be more people who think like that in this world! Rather than just take... You know?
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I always bring a hostess gift even it is just for a dinner party. I might be old fashioned but I notice they are always well received. When I have a weekend or longer at someone's home I usually bring some local gift from my area (I live in Sonoma County which is wine country. It can be wine or some gourmet item) If we are out sight seeing where I am visiting I have picked up something local there and left it in the guest room with a thank you note. Another thing I do is clean the bathroom I use and make the bed (I usually offer to change the linens) I applaud you for thinking of the hostess gift and I encourage you to do it.:flowerforyou:
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    It’s a definite must especially if you are staying the whole weekend. My mother never let me visit a friend as a kid w/o bringing something; usually a bottle of pop and bag of chips for a sleepover. That simple $2 gesture has stayed with me and so I never visit someone’s home without bringing something. They may barely notice if you do bring something but they will definitely notice people who come empty handed and that’s not the impression you want to make. I’ve noticed that, its usually friends who don’t yet own homes coming over for dinner without even brining a bottle of $10 wine while I feed them a $40-60 dinner. Not cool and you don’t need to own a house to recognize this courtesy. Apparently the thought is, if you can afford shelter you can afford to feed the word. Affording to feed and WANTING to feed very different…

Sorry for the rant but A+ for you on your genuine and kind intentions!
  • upsy
    upsy Posts: 42
    Options
    (I usually offer to change the linens)
    You can came to my house any time you want! Changing linen is only part i dont like :D
  • HeatherCanDoIt
    HeatherCanDoIt Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You sound like a great person! I do the same thing but it is rare these days. People are not that thoughtful anymore! Have a wonderful weekend away!
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I know I'm old an all, but I always give a hostess gift and love getting them no matter how small.
  • cr4491
    cr4491 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all! I'm glad I'm not the only one out there who still thinks this is a good idea! It is hard because I do not really know her mom and what she likes/doesn't like, but the idea of bringing something local is neat. Her mom is diabetic so I'm not going to bother with anything to eat or drink, just in case she can't have it. They are big coffee drinkers and we have a good custom blend place at our farmer's market. Maybe I'll go with that :-) Thanks for all the ideas and for still supporting the Common Courtesy Concept (which I don't see being put to use much anymore so we should ALL keep it up!!). :-) :-)
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    I LOVE giving Hostess gifts! GO FOR IT! :-)
  • dmvbnoslo
    dmvbnoslo Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Wonderful!!! A nice potted plant or flowers are always appreciated, too.