Carbs?

Options
How many carbs should you have a day in order to lose weight? I am so used to counting calories, I don't really know much about carbs :(

Replies

• Duganhorse
    Duganhorse Posts: 55
    Options
    You can add carbs to you settings so MFP will count them for you and tell you how many you should be eating. You generally dont want to drop below 135 a day. I have a condition that is setting me up to be diabetic and I read that 30 carbs per meal and three 15 carb snacks a day is what a diabetic should eat so I try to stick with that...with little success.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I don't know about 30 carbs per meal. I'm diabetic & I'm allowed 60 per meal. 15 for snacks is about right, though.
  • CoachJ77
    CoachJ77 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Depends on your body type, I typically don't go over 100g a day but have gone up to and beyond 140 a day. Most of my carbs come by complex carbs though. Oatmeal, whole grains, etc. I do have fruit but only two a day (usually a banana and an apple).
  • iamstacy
    iamstacy Posts: 1
    Options
    That all depends on what kind of way of eating and dieting you are on..I am on a modified atkins way of eating and eat only meat and eggs, less than 5 carbs a day since Feb, am now down 70 pounds and have never felt better in my life
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Wow, the 2 of you that posted that said you are allowed 30 or 60 per meal is way, way too many according to my doctor.

I have gotten my A1C down to 5.8% but I was having no more than 50 grams of carbs total per day.

Do you want to reverse the Diabetes (Type 2) or just control it??? For me, that was no brainer, of course I wanted to reverse it.

http://diabetes.about.com/b/2009/03/18/very-low-carb-diet-may-reverse-type-2-diabetes.htm

A Low-Carb Diet Shown to Reverse Type 2 Diabetes
    Study Proves Very Low Carb Diet is Effective
    From Debra Manzella, R.N., former About.com Guide
    Updated March 20, 2009

Does a low-carb diet really help control or even reverse type 2 diabetes? According to a study from Duke University, a very low-carb diet (20 grams or less a day) gave participants better blood sugar control and more effective weight loss than participants who followed a low-glycemic reduced calorie diet.
    Eighty-four people with obesity and type 2 diabetes took part in the study. During the study, both groups also had the supportive benefit of group meetings, nutritional supplementation and an exercise program. After 6 months, the low-carb group had lower hemoglobin A1c results, lost more weight, and 95% were able to reduce or even totally eliminate their diabetes medications. The reduced calorie group did lose weight, and 62% of them were also able to reduce or eliminate their medications, but the low-carb diet group had better overall results.

"It's simple," says Eric Westman, MD, director of Duke's Lifestyle Medicine Program and lead author of the study. "If you cut out the carbohydrates, your blood sugar goes down, and you lose weight which lowers your blood sugar even further. It's a one-two punch."

The low-carb diet used in the study is very restrictive on carb intake, with participants eating under 20 grams of carbs a day. This may be difficult for many people to stick to, but as Dr. Westman says, "This is a therapeutic diet for people who are sick," says Westman. "These lifestyle approaches all have an intensive behavioral component. In our program, people come in every two weeks to get reinforcements and reminders. We've treated hundreds of patients this way now at Duke, and what we see clinically and in our research shows that it works."

Keep in mind that there is more to these results than just diet. Both groups also exercised regularly as well. Diet combined with exercise is the cornerstone of diabetes management. Before starting any diet program, please talk with your doctor, or healthcare provider.

Source:

(Jan. 5, 2009). Low-Carb Diets Prove Better at Controlling Type 2 Diabetes . Retrieved February 19, 2009, from DukeHealth.org Web site: http://www.dukehealth.org/HealthLibrary/News/low_carb_diets_prove_better_at_controlling_type_2_diabetes[/link">
  • Julien1
    Julien1 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hello:),

Basically, it depends on the person and gender. There is no exact amount but it's usually over 130 carbs a day. You can check how many carbs you need to lose weight by going to your "account settings" tab and check your fitness profile. After that, make your way over to "Food".

:)
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Lioness, for what it's worth, I maintained an hA1c under 6 during my pregnancy on 60 carbs per meal :)

After I had my daughter, I stopped tracking, lost control of it all, and put on the weight. Now it's my goal to get back down under 6, get off of my insulin pump, and stay healthy... and I intend to do it the same way I succeeded before.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Lioness, for what it's worth, I maintained an hA1c under 6 during my pregnancy on 60 carbs per meal :)

After I had my daughter, I stopped tracking, lost control of it all, and put on the weight. Now it's my goal to get back down under 6, get off of my insulin pump, and stay healthy... and I intend to do it the same way I succeeded before.

Maintaining and Reversing are 2 separate things.............

I don't want to maintain Diabetes. I want to reverse it.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I am Diabetic. I see an endocrinologist, a registered nurse specifically for Diabetics and the same with my dietician.

I would strongly suggest talking to your doctor personally.

The information I was given by all three people was this:
    For a meal, between 45-60 grams of carbs
    For a snack, 15 grams of carbs

Do I hit those numbers exactly? No! Every food is different, so there are different amounts for each.

What I can tell you is this: I eat, on average, a total of 184 grams a day. The highest carb meal is the one before my workout. For that one, I push the 60 grams because I'm going about 60-75 minutes exercising.

As for A1C levels, mine was tested last month at 5.3.
    Personally, I'd rather listen to a doctor and not some fad diet/book.

Good luck!!
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I am Diabetic. I see an endocrinologist, a registered nurse specifically for Diabetics and the same with my dietician.

I would strongly suggest talking to your doctor personally.

The information I was given by all three people was this:
    For a meal, between 45-60 grams of carbs
    For a snack, 15 grams of carbs

Do I hit those numbers exactly? No! Every food is different, so there are different amounts for each.

What I can tell you is this: I eat, on average, a total of 184 grams a day. The highest carb meal is the one before my workout. For that one, I push the 60 grams because I'm going about 60-75 minutes exercising.

As for A1C levels, mine was tested last month at 5.3.
    Personally, I'd rather listen to a doctor and not some fad diet/book.

Good luck!!

The so-called "fad" that you want to call it, my doctors and the dietician gave me both Atkins and South Beach. 184 grams of carbs per day for a diabetic is way to many according to my doctors.

I keep my carb grams to 50 or less per day. Here lately many days are practically 0 carb days. No insulin dips at all, everything is running very evenly.
  • ldybugg
    ldybugg Posts: 134
    Options
    for me im not diabetic but i stick around 130 or so a day. If i go much lower i just dont do well mentally or physically especially if i dont have them for breakfast even if its just a bit. most come from complex carbs and i try not to eat any after bout 6. after that i stick 2 protien or veggies. seems 2 work me
  • pfenixa
    pfenixa Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    lol, I'm pretty sure the OP didn't mention anything about being diabetic. The thread kinda got off track.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    LOL. Ditto the above post.

I've some clients who consume 400+ grams per day. I've others who are consuming under 100 grams per day. Fact is, you can lose fat with either approach, assuming calories are in check. I know it's all the rave these days thanks to Taubes and his sycophants to believe higher carb intakes will bend the rules of thermodynamics and thus create energy storage in the face of an energy deficit.

But I don't buy that crap. Not based on the research I've seen. And not based on the anecdote I've experienced with a broad range of clients.

Some folks are definitely "wired" to do better on lower carb intakes. I'll admit that. These folks typically are overweight, not very active, etc. Or, as witnessed in this thread, they have a medical proclivity that warrants such low intakes. I'll note though, that because you are prescribed a specific way of eating when you're, say, diabetic, that doesn't mean you should overlay those say recommendations to otherwise healthy populations.

On the flip side... there are folks who fare better on higher carb intakes.

Bottom line is, as some folks have mentioned above, there isn't one right way to eat that works best for everyone.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    LOL. Ditto the above post.

I've some clients who consume 400+ grams per day. I've others who are consuming under 100 grams per day. Fact is, you can lose fat with either approach, assuming calories are in check. I know it's all the rave these days thanks to Taubes and his sycophants to believe higher carb intakes will bend the rules of thermodynamics and thus create energy storage in the face of an energy deficit.

But I don't buy that crap. Not based on the research I've seen. And not based on the anecdote I've experienced with a broad range of clients.

Some folks are definitely "wired" to do better on lower carb intakes. I'll admit that. These folks typically are overweight, not very active, etc. Or, as witnessed in this thread, they have a medical proclivity that warrants such low intakes. I'll note though, that because you are prescribed a specific way of eating when you're, say, diabetic, that doesn't mean you should overlay those say recommendations to otherwise healthy populations.

On the flip side... there are folks who fare better on higher carb intakes.

Bottom line is, as some folks have mentioned above, there isn't one right way to eat that works best for everyone.

I'm very active, close to goal weight, and eat < 100g carbs daily. Most days, less than 60g. So, no offense to your post, which the majority of it I agree with, but I'm not overweight, lazy, nor do I have medical conditions that warrant my eating as it is. It's effectively killed my sugar cravings and I no longer snack. It's also considerably more sustainable when I'm traveling on long trips and don't have to be doing the "OMG! I HAVE TO EAT OR I WILL DIE!" dance with crazy hunger pangs. When I ate 150g+ carbs daily I was eating all the damn time, not losing, and sluggish in the evenings. With lower carb, the first few weeks of dropped carb levels you're a little sluggish, but I stuck it out and now I'm running full speed. And that works for me, but I totally agree it doesn't work for everyone. I do, unlike Taubes' recommendations, still agree with caloric restriction for weight loss, not only carbohydrate restriction. Portions DO matter.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I'm very active, close to goal weight, and eat < 100g carbs daily. Most days, less than 60g. So, no offense to your post, which the majority of it I agree with, but I'm not overweight, lazy, nor do I have medical conditions that warrant my eating as it is.

No offense taken.

And you might want to re-read what I originally posted.

Especially the word "typically."

I never implied that one HAD to be obese or inactive to experience success on low carbs. I merely suggested that they're typically the ones who will experience the most success with it.

That's not to say that others, such as yourself, won't realize success eating low carb too.

The only reason I threw up an alternative viewpoint is the low carb mantra that's so heavily preached nowadays is accompanied by tons of ignorance and zealotry.
    It's effectively killed my sugar cravings and I no longer snack.

Add yourself to the camp of those folks who can benefit from eating low carb. Those folks who battle uncontrolled cravings and snacking tend to fare better by removing the temptation. Not to mention that adaptations to take place once the "trigger foods" are removed or substantially reduced - even to the level of your taste buds - that help with reduction in cravings.

On the flip side, however, there are people, and they're much fewer in number, who battle with fat "addiction" where they're most of their uncontrolled overconsumption is coming from high fat meats.

It's person-specific, which was my original point.

Also worth mentioning when it comes to satiety is the fact that when most people cut carbs, they either directly or indirectly increase protein consumption. Well protein consumption is the most satiating of the calorie-providing nutrients so it's not just removing the triggers...
    I do, unlike Taubes' recommendations,

Most of my problems with Taubes concerns his research methodologies. Namely, he's a reporter. Not a scientist. And it shows in his biases when he looks at research.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I'm very active, close to goal weight, and eat < 100g carbs daily. Most days, less than 60g. So, no offense to your post, which the majority of it I agree with, but I'm not overweight, lazy, nor do I have medical conditions that warrant my eating as it is.

No offense taken.

And you might want to re-read what I originally posted.

Especially the word "typically."

I never implied that one HAD to be obese or inactive to experience success on low carbs. I merely suggested that they're typically the ones who will experience the most success with it.

That's not to say that others, such as yourself, won't realize success eating low carb too.

The only reason I threw up an alternative viewpoint is the low carb mantra that's so heavily preached nowadays is accompanied by tons of ignorance and zealotry.
    It's effectively killed my sugar cravings and I no longer snack.

Add yourself to the camp of those folks who can benefit from eating low carb. Those folks who battle uncontrolled cravings and snacking tend to fare better by removing the temptation. Not to mention that adaptations to take place once the "trigger foods" are removed or substantially reduced - even to the level of your taste buds - that help with reduction in cravings.

On the flip side, however, there are people, and they're much fewer in number, who battle with fat "addiction" where they're most of their uncontrolled overconsumption is coming from high fat meats.

It's person-specific, which was my original point.

Also worth mentioning when it comes to satiety is the fact that when most people cut carbs, they either directly or indirectly increase protein consumption. Well protein consumption is the most satiating of the calorie-providing nutrients so it's not just removing the triggers...
    I do, unlike Taubes' recommendations,

Most of my problems with Taubes concerns his research methodologies. Namely, he's a reporter. Not a scientist. And it shows in his biases when he looks at research.

I happen to agree with Dr Taubes and we can probably agree that most research that is conducted there is some level of bias.

Just like those that want to adhere to the same guidelines the AHA, ADA and AMA have been preaching the past 50 years.

Just for your opinion, what do you think of Dr. Mary Enig? As I find her work and research quite fascinating also.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I happen to agree with Dr Taubes and we can probably agree that most research that is conducted there is some level of bias.

If Taubes is right that carbs are evil, I'd love to have him for an extended visitation at one of my two gyms.

But that's besides the point. It's not difficult to look at all available data and choose a reasonable outcome, assuming you have education pertaining to research methodology. And for that very reason, it's also not difficult to pick out someone who isn't looking at the entire body of evidence - cherrypicking if you will to support a claim.

If you're suggesting that some research is biased based on funding or preconceived notions of the investigators... sure, I'd agree. But that's different from the general bias I'm talking about when it comes to looking at entire bodies of evidence and picking and choosing what fits your schedule.

I'm not interested in book sales.

I'm interested in objectivity within the confines of what science is and is not.
    Just for your opinion, what do you think of Dr. Mary Enig? As I find her work and research quite fascinating also.

From what I've seen from her I'd label her an alarmist. But that's not very fair considering I haven't paid enough attention to her and her work, so my opinion shouldn't hold much weight.
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    How many carbs should you have a day in order to lose weight? I am so used to counting calories, I don't really know much about carbs :(

to OP, carbs should definitely be managed as u try to lose weight. some people who do long runs/ bike rides...etc require a higher source of energy in their pre and post work outs. so in my opinion, if ur working out (im talking cardio) while ur trying to lose weight.. it is proven that carbs are necessary in ur diet. and it gradually increases as ur cardio increases.
    now.... on days where i DONT go for a long run etc, (so if u dont do much cardio i suggest u do the following) ... i limit my carbs to perhaps a bowl of oatmeal and for the rest of the day... my carb source is strictly from veggies and fruits.
    moderation is key. and source of carb is also key.
    i have done TONS of research (im pretty sure lioness will attack me.. but w.e) and a low FAT diet with a balanced diet is MUCH better than a low carb/high fat. any diet that says "limit ur veggies and fruits .. but eat unlimited bacon..." JUST GOES AGAINST EVERYTHING IVE EVER LEARNED! and even the ppl who have done zero research will raise their eyebrows and drop their jaws. what?! i can eat a burger but not this apple?! ummmmmmm.....

so main point .. YES carbs do turn into sugars inside ur body. but we need them to function! moderation and source is key! and keep a balanced diet.