Chest pain while working out?

Options
poma91
poma91 Posts: 181 Member
So I have been working out consistently for more than a month now. I workout 5-6 times a week as my workouts are relatively intense. I have a HRM and the highest my heart beat ever got was around 192 but that was 1 or 2 times. Usually I don't go over 180 and this is the max. If I don't push really hard I stay around 167-173.

Yesterday while I was still warming up I experienced really sharp chest pain. My pulse was 162. I took a rest of half an hour but then I finished my workout without pushing too hard. My chest didn't hurt again but I got kind of scared.

What do you guys think. Should I worry and go see a doctor?

My mom is a doctor but she is really panicking when even the slightest thing is wrong with me so I don't want to worry her too much and I am sure she is going to freak out.

If it is helpful, I am 21, female, 5'4", 154 lbs. I've never had any serious health problems and as far as I know there are no heart problems in my family.

Thanks.

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I would say go see a doctor.

They're more likely to give you an accurate diagnosis than we are.
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Could you tell if it was your heart or chest muscles?
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Am in no way medically qualified, but my understanding is that any chest pain should be treated conservatively. See a doctor.
  • skinnyme444
    Options
    I've got this all week after my level 2 shred! I be doing my cool down and everytime I breathe I get piercing pains in my heart and I get really scared! :-(
  • poma91
    Options
    I am positive it was the heart.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Doctor, asap. Wise not to involve any family who are doctors as well, they turn into hypochondriacs even worse than the rest of us. But yes, go see someone as soon as you can, don't workout again until you have.
  • Omakitkat
    Omakitkat Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    In December I had heart surgery for a blood clot that adhered to the heart wall. I would get the occasional chest pains. Felt like an ice pick sharp and quick. They would not last long , but would return from time to time. After all I learned thru my heart issues
    I say " SEE A DOCTOR"
  • poma91
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. I guess I will make an appointment with my GP. Hope that everything is ok :-/
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Last summer I had my left circumflex artery dissect and had to have two stents put in. I was doing Chalean Extreme at the time (not exercising when it happened, but a day after workout) It's considered a heart attack, though I had no other signs and it took them two days to diagnose because nothing was showing up. It was finally my blood test and triponin that explained it. It was the hidden artery, so that's why they couldn't figure it out. A blood test should be able to tell about your triponin levels.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    ANY chest pain during exercise MUST be checked out by a doctor before resuming. I thought I was having heart problems, but the vice-like grip and difficulty catching my breath turned out to be exercise-induced asthma.