Food on the go

Options
I am a student so go to lectures two days a week and work placement three days a week, the placement days are fine I can make low-cal meals, and can heat food up as there is a microwave and kettle, but for days when I'm going into uni and the library I'd like some food ideas other than salads that I can take with me, there are no kitchen facilities.

All ideas welcome! :)

Replies

• mixedlollies
    mixedlollies Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Soup in a thermos?
  • JessicaJoanJarvis
    JessicaJoanJarvis Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Soup in a thermos?

I leave quite early so by the time it gets to lunch it would be cold even though it would be in a thermos :(
  • JessicaJoanJarvis
    Options
    I suppose I could try some cold soup recipes... if anyone has ideas! :)
  • Dawn4511
    Dawn4511 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hmm ood question I can only think of two things lunch meat wrap (ice pack in lunch bag), and a protein bar.
  • mixedlollies
    mixedlollies Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You could make up brown rice and mixed veggies? That would be nice cold.
  • DanrobinD
    DanrobinD Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    peanut butter and jelly on wheat thin bread
    special K 90 cracker chips
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    sandwich?
  • Christina8402
    Christina8402 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    pb&j is always a good option. use a low cal wheat bread and sugar free jam and you'll cut quite a few calories out. fruit and veggies travel well and are good room temp. I often will eat my left overs from dinner the night before room temp - it beats waiting in line for the microwave. :)
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    The night before I cook rice or pasta, put it in a box with loads of frozen veg - The heat from the rice/pasta cook the veg just enough and then eat cold as required.
    Here in the UK we have Warburton thins which are 100 calories for 2 slices - They make a great sandwich, or with a bit of Passatta, a smidge of melted cheese and toppings of your choice - Cold Pizza mmmmmm
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs, hummus with vegetables or crackers. You could put salad ingredients in a wrap or pita.

Most cafes will give you hot water for things like porridge pots. My favorite lunch lately is to take one of those and add some dried fruit to it.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    sandwich?

Agreed. What's not to like about that?

Maybe pasta salad as well. With tuna or cold cooked chicken and lots of veggies. I use fat free soft cheese (quark) with lemon juice and a little water to make a dressing.
  • weffie11
    weffie11 Posts: 91
    Options
    You could try to see if you can eat cold veg! Sounds disgusting I know, but some is OK - broccoli and cauliflower for example - and you can just have that with your protein. What about boiled eggs? I'm a student too and I take nuts and/or seeds, carrot sticks/celery sticks/cucumber sticks with a small pot of humus, fruit and yoghurt. You could try mini/small Romano peppers and stuff them with chicken or tuna. I've cooked lamb mince in the past with peppers and mushrooms and then taken it cold the next day. It's what we're used to that makes us think things can't be done, but lots of things are OK cold
  • oldmanrivererik
    oldmanrivererik Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    tuna fish and crackers
    fruit such as apples or bananas
    couscous
    rice and beans w salsa
    turkey sandwich
    canned herring
    pickled herring
    boiled eggs
    borsch
    vegetables with some kind of dip, carrots, celery, broccoli, etc etc
    PB&J sandwich

I cook my breakfast and lunch on sunday for all week. I keep it in the fridge and portion it out each day. Usually I have some kind of soup for lunch. It can be eaten cold or hot. then Ill have various snacks as well.
  • JessicaJoanJarvis
    Options
    Thanks guys - all great ideas!

Not a fan of the sandwich idea, just because it never tastes as good when brought from home.

Definately going to cook up veggies the night before, and have with any cold meats, tuna, or eggs in the house!

(I'll just have to take a bigger bag to carry the tuppaware haha!)