How to keep from over snacking at night - Help?

Options
Hey guys -
One problem I have is snacking at night. I usually work until 11 or 11:30 (at a grocery store... with lots of yummy food coming through my line every second), and on the nights I'm off, I go on a late night 6 mile walk with my parents and end up getting back around 11 or so. So as you can imagine, I'm kind of hungry by the time I get home. The only thing is, once I get started eating at nighttime, for whatever reason, I just feel like I can't stop - everything sounds good. I'm SO good throughout the day, and then it's like all of my cravings that I've managed to put off and dodge earlier all of a sudden come out of the woodwork. I have to eat something though, because I work out in the mornings... So I usually try to eat a piece of fruit and a bagel or toast, but then it just goes downhill... lol.

I was just wondering how you guys help control your cravings and temptation to overeat once nighttime rolls around.

Thanks! :]

Replies

• shannahrenee
    shannahrenee Posts: 380
    Options
    I wish I could help but I often have the same problem. I'm good all day long but as soon as I eat that one little thing in the evening I eat everything in sight. :grumble:
  • Sherry44
    Sherry44 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem since I'm a night owl. I've recently learned that fruit is bad late at night since it contains high sugar and you don't want to eat anything heavy in carbs either. Nuts are supposed to give you a nice protein boost without the sugar & carbs. Or a healthy peanut butter with a few whole wheat crackers.
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    I use to be a snack person at night.....now i'm by far not close to having self control over all my issues but one thing i did have to fight myself on is the night time snacking...

i used to sit up there and just snack and snack and snack, mainly because i worked overnight for years so sleeping at night is hard for me...i find myself up at 12 and 1 am and bored, so what do you turn to? SNACKS....

but.....

what i've started doing is eating a mini 100 calorie bag of popcorn and 10 cherries.....it is a very fulfilling snack...i dont even eat it late but i find it holds me over...
  • krv1818
    krv1818 Posts: 5
    Options
    Make sure you have the healthy things to snack on crisp veggies, maybe some watermelon or cantelope. Celery sticks require a lot of work to eat and might help. Lots and lots of water works for me. I know these are not the things your craving but maybe it will help.
  • Julien1
    Julien1 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi there:)

A very small amount of fruit is okay at night. Do NOT exceed a small amount. A small amount means a few orange slices, or a few apple slices. Nothing whole.

Basically ,try to drink alot of water or flavoured water at night. If you must eat, have vegetables. There is nothing wrong with those at all and you can eat almost as much of them as you want and you'll be fine:). I recommend salted cucumbers.
  • auttyfrmca
    auttyfrmca Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    lol. I ate bad yesterday. So bad I got sick when I got home...I didn't go over too much but I still ate gross food. anyways, I was hungry at like 9. I knew I needed to eat because all the yucky food I ate wasn't even in me...I was picky though so I had a low carb tortilla with a teaspoon or so of peanut butter and a little cinnamon. Hit the spot to fill and sweet tooth as well! try eating something like that. It's a little lower in carbs than others....my friend keeps telling me no carbs after dinner. it worked for her.
  • kendra1976
    kendra1976 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    chew gum.. that keeps my mind off hunger and just eating because I am bored.
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I work overnight, so when I'm off, theres usually no one around at 3am to hang out with lol. So I get bored, and eat! Best thing to do is to just try to kepp yourself busy...I know, it's hard! I know that I'm gonna eat though, so I try to take that into account when I 'm up during the day...and try to eat more healthy.
  • kimmie0627
    kimmie0627 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water or eat ice. That helps me.
  • anvy0530
    anvy0530 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I find that when I eat a snack that is entirely carbs at night, it triggers a voracious appetite. I still have a snack at night but now I make sure it is mostly protein & some carbs. String cheese and a little bit of fruit do it for me most of the time & I don't begin snacking uncontrollably.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I used to love brocoli and red pepper stir fried quickly in a little oyster sauce for a snack,is really yummy. Also anything proteiny,seafood sticks,ham,prawns,I find theses are good small snacks. Failing that have a slice of toast with light butter....it'll feel indulgent,but calorie wise wont actually be that bad,and will fill the gap the long walk gave, or a banana
  • PaleoIsPossible
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I also try to keep busy.. every commercial I try to get up and do something to "tidy" or if I am all tidied than you can try doing sit ups or push ups to get your mind off it.

I have not mastered the snacking at night. like many I try to stay strong and not eat anything because if I do than I end up eating anything and everything
  • lyndsloo
    lyndsloo Posts: 242
    Options
    I suggest eating some protein (like 2 or 3 ounces of boneless, skinless chicken), especially after a 6 mile late night walk. It always satisfies my hunger and is MUCH better than eating sugary carbs. It may not be an IDEAL late night snack, but it will make you feel better and satisfy your hunger pains.