Is it possible to lose fat, but not weight?

Options
Hi Everyone!

With bathing suit season approaching, I would really like for my stomach to be less squishy. I'm completely fine with the rest of my body, but carry some extra pudge on my lower belly and have some love handles. I've never really been completely comfortable wearing a bathing suit in public to be honest.

I weigh 120lbs and I am 5 ft 6.5 inches, so I do not think I really need to lose weight as I am in the healthy range. The least I've ever weighed in my adult life was 115 lbs and I could only sustain this by obsessing about everything I ate. I now eat when I am hungry and do not diet; but I stay away from processed food.

So I realize the key to ending "skinny fat" is exercise. I started doing Jillian Micheal's 30 day shred, am 8 days in and loving it. It has a lot of body weight exercises like push ups, crunches, lunges, squats, etc. I am also training for a warrior dash (5k with obstacles) at the end of June. I can now run 2.5 miles and hope to be up to the 5k soon.

My question is, will this exercise allow my to eliminate some belly fat if I am eating the same number of calories I burn and trying to stay the same weight? Or will it only increase my endurance and strength, but leave a layer of fat over the muscles? Do I need a calorie deficit (and thus weight loss) to get rid of this fat? I realize weight lifting would probably be the best thing, but I can not really afford a gym membership at the moment as I am saving up for a trip to New Zealand!

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Replies

• bdburch
    bdburch Posts: 127
    Options
    To get rid of fat you have to eat at a deficit. Many people find that they lose fat before they lose weight. It's been my experience so far.

It's great that you found an exercise that you enjoy. I'm a little envious that you can do 30DS and train for a 5k. My body doesn't have that endurance yet.
  • stephaniegcoffey
    stephaniegcoffey Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, I guess I'll have to adjust my calorie goals... even though I don't really want to, because I love eating!

As far as doing the 30DS and running, I started with just running and then began to incorporate 30DS later because on my runs I felt like I could do more, but don't want to injure myself by doing too much too soon. I found 30DS as a great way to cross train while my bones and joints catch up with my improved cardiovascular fitness from running. Are you doing 30DS too?
  • Rgtjax85
    Rgtjax85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Though my question is a little bit different I think we have similar questions about our bodies. I am doing a workout program that does have a lot of ab work in it and I am gaining some definition. I have love handles. When my knee is okay I like running distance and lifting weights to increase my maximum bench press. As you burn fat you will gain muscle (ideally)so it is possible to maintain weight but not sure which is best for you.
  • stephaniegcoffey
    stephaniegcoffey Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think you're right, you can lose fat and stay the same weight if you increase lean muscle, but it doesn't seem likely I'd gain significant muscle mass (enough to impact my weight) unless I was lifting heavy weights.

I guess I do need lose weight to get rid of this belly, but even if I shoot for a 5lb loss I'd be at a BMI of 18.3 which seems low to me...
  • bdburch
    Options
    I am not currently doing 30DS but I have tried it out. I'm really only available to workout during my lunch breaks so I go to classes the gym at work. From what I can tell, the female trainers tend to follow the pattern of 30DS but may mix in a few other things. On the days I take classes with them, I can get on the elliptical for about 20 minutes afterwards but I feel like I'm dying at the end and have to drag my shaking body into the locker room. The male trainer tend to gear the classes more towards lifting heavier weights and doing less reps so after those classes I usually can't do anything because my body overall is so sore.

I have only been working out for about 10 weeks so I know it will be slow going but I feel my body getting stronger :)
    BTW, I am not on MFP to lose weight. I am in a similar situation as you where I love my body and am at a very healthy weight but have a little "extra" me around my belly that I wouldn't mind toning up a bit.
  • bdburch
    Options
    18.5 is considered underweight but I also wouldn't put too much stock in my BMI number. It doesn't distinguish between muscle and fat. If we were to rely on BMI, my husband would be considered overweight instead of what he really is (thin and muscular).