How did you determine your goal weight?

Options
I just picked a number that I thought I liked. Then I got there and picked another one. Maybe there is some science or thought I should apply to set my target goal. This isn't just about weight, methinks. I would like to maintain LBM and get to 185 lbs. that would put me at 14% BF. then maybe try for 12%. Then I'm not sure what to do.

Replies

• I have a picture of myself from 11 years ago. I remember I was just over 150 lbs and I thought I was fat at the time! Now I look at it and think how beautiful I was. I want to reach that again, and this time when I get there, I will have the knowledge of what it really means for me to be FAT. Maybe that's not how I should have reached my goal in my head, but it's what I am aiming for. I look at that picture every day for inspiration.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I kinda pulled it out of my *kitten* really. I just thought, I remember out of college I was, like, around 180. That sounds good.
  • kbam17
    kbam17 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This is what I did...

(current weight) x (1 – current body fat %) = current lean body mass

(current lean body mass) x (1 + goal body fat %) = goal body weight

So for me that's 161 x 0.7 = 112 pounds of lean body mass. And 112 x 1.2 = 135 pounds as a rough goal. It's not perfect, but I found it to be a better guesstimate than just shooting in the dark, especially since last time I was a healthy weight I wasn't weight training at all so my "comfy weight" might not be best for me anymore.
  • wffolkes
    wffolkes Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My lean body mass plus 10%
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    My goal of 235lbs @ 10% BF is what I was 18+ yrs ago before my motorcycle crash and yrs of PT .....

And it took yrs to get there the 1st time, and it's going to take yrs to get there again ....
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Initially, I aimed for the the stable 126lbs I was neither-happy-nor-unhappy-with for most of my life.

Then I learned about BF%, and realised that at my skinniest (114lbs) I was still skinny-fat, and therefore I wouldn't be happy with my "natural"/existing LBM levels.

Now I'm aiming for 20% BF while either maintaining or growing my LBM and ignoring the scale, which mathematically puts my goal between 119 and 125lbs. (5-10lbs of fat to lose, 0-5lbs of muscle to gain.)

I'm currently 130lbs, 5'4" and 27%, so I'll also see what changes occur as that BF% drops while I'm lifting heavy and perhaps re-evaluate my goals again.
  • Charlixoxo
    Charlixoxo Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I chose the number that would make me in the healthy range for my BMI, and then when I get there will probably choose to lose more!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My goal was based on the weight I felt suited me best (way back in my 20's).
    As an adult I've been as light at 157lbs (too skinny and felt it didn't suit me) and as heavy as 210lbs when I tried intuitive eating.....

I started at roughly 198lbs, the weight I'd mostly been for the last 20 years since a car driver decided to use my knee to remove his front bumper (US = fender) and set a goal for 175lbs.

When I got there I realised I'm not carrying the same muscle mass as the younger me. So I've dropped another 3 pounds but still working at reducing body fat and doing a slow recomp. Ultimately I will probably drop down to 168lb but happy for that to happen slowly as a result of lifestyle rather than dieting.
  • SlinkyAndHerAmazingBunsOfSteel
    Options
    At 5ft 2, the heaviest I should be to be a healthy weight for my height and frame is 136.7lbs. I picked 130lbs so I can fluctuate between those numbers and remain in the healthy range :)
  • LisaInUP
    LisaInUP Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I picked a number in the middle of the healthy range for my height, age and bone structure. I made sure it was something I felt I could realistically maintain too.
  • oX_Vanessa_Xo
    Options
    For now I set a short term goal, 189 lbs.

After I had my 4th baby I busted my *kitten* for months and could NOT break 190. One morning I'd wake up and it would
    Be 191 errr, I fell into depression and gave up. Gained to 220. So now my goal is 189 just to finally break that 190.

Long term goal is 165. I have written on the bathroom wall (guess I couldn't find paper lol) 167. That was 3 summers ago and the only time in since I was 20 that I felt comfortable being outside working on my yard in shorts and a t shirt that wasn't 3 times to big.

So once I get 165 I'll be fully satisfied and see where it goes from there.
  • treenuh_x
    treenuh_x Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I did what the OP said - I picked a number I felt comfortable with. I used to be able to comfortably fit into a size 13 jean at 173 pounds - I'd love to be able to wear a size 13. I don't want to be super skinny, just comfortable with my body, and healthy. I think 175 is a lot healthier than both my previous 277 and my current 257.
  • Supern0va81
    Supern0va81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and remember being happy at 60kg previously but now I'm thinking that might be too little with the way that my weight is dropping and I have been loosing fat and building muscle.
  • GracefulDancer4Christ
    GracefulDancer4Christ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I just put my goal weight to the weight I was before I gained a lot of weight. I was comfortable with that weight. I have 40 pounds to go.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I picked the number that would put me right smack in the middle of the "normal" weight range on the BMI chart for my height. It was 145lbs. I am in maintenance and I hover between 140 and 145 and I'm happy with it. I'm more focused on fitness goals at the moment.
  • padackllins
    Options
    I thought back to when I was happiest, which was 140lbs. I was skinny-fat at that time, quite slim with a low BMI [still in the normal range though] but had no real muscle or definition. I'm gunna aim for 140lbs, if I'm still not happy I'll go lower but no lower than 120lbs, then tone the hell up :)
  • PeauxPeaux
    PeauxPeaux Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I looked at height weight on my doctor's chart, and I chose a goal 10 pounds under the max margin for "healthy weight range" for a lady of my height and build. When I get there, I will decide if that is a good place or if I want to lose a little more, as the range is more than 30 pounds...
  • piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    I chose the number I was at before I gained all the weight
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i started with a goal weight... when i hit that i maintained for a while and then decided that i wanted to reduce my bodyfat a bit....

i am now about 10lbs heavier than my original goal, but with less bodyfat, and probably a bit smaller than i was when i was my original low weight!
  • SusanleeBee
    SusanleeBee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I looked back at pictures from when I thought I looked my best, and went with the weight that I was then. I'll still be officially "overweight" but when I'm thinner than that, I think I look funny and sort of horse-faced. I like myself best about 30 pounds overweight, because I like having boobs and hips. A little extra weight is healthier too if one has an autoimmune issue, which I do.

I was also an athlete at the time (tennis) so I had a lot of muscle mass making up that weight, and now I'm lifting heavy, so hopefully I'll end up about the same as then.