going on holiday...how do I keep my diet under control?

Options
Hi,

I'm going on holiday next week for 2 weeks and I'm worried that I will slip into bad habits while i am away. I hope to walk and swim alot whilst there but any other tips and ideas of how to keep in my fitness routine?

Replies

• Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I would say just keep up with logging calories and activities as best you can. I think the biggest danger on vacation is the impulse eating. Keeping track might help out with that a bit.
  • LisaGNV
    LisaGNV Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Unless you accidentally trip and fall into a bowl of ice cream - a lot of it will have to do with the choices you make. Decide ahead of time what type of choices you want to make. Indulge if you want - but take ownership of any indulgences and remain committed once you're off holiday. Lifestyle changes are for life. Diet's are temporary.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Enjoy what you want. Just dont over eat.
    pretty simple.
    its holiday - you gotta enjoy it!
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Just try to make healthier food choices but don't be a nazi about it, you're on holiday remember!!!
  • SSarahh23
    SSarahh23 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've been on holiday twice since joining MFP and both times I've lost weight. I think it helps that it's different to being at home and being able to snack when you feel like it, and I generally have better breakfasts on holiday (eggs etc) so I stay full and don't need lunch. There's also more incidental exercise such as walking and swimming, depending on where you're off to. You could also make time to go for brisk walks/jogs/runs/hire a bike etc if you want to keep properly exercising, and when you're eating out just choose healthier options (steak and salad instead of a creamy pasta dish, for example).

Have a great time!
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    You can exercise while on holiday - look for fun, active things to do and log your food so you know you are pretty much on goal with yourself.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it. Seriously. Or if you think you're going to go too far over, figure out what your maintenance cals are and aim for them. Share snack and entrees, and try and eat super healthy for breakfast and lunch so you have room for yummy vacation foods. It's two weeks, it's not going to immediately set back the progress you've made even if you do splurge or go out of control.

Rest yourself while you're there (though you may want to use the gym there) and then be ready to get back on the horse! hahah.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Try to find that balance between enjoying your holiday and throwing your new habits out the window. If it isn't too stressful for you, you might think of it as a trial run for maintenance.

As long as you eat reasonably, don't step on the scale the moment you get bak, give your body a few days to readjust and get rid of the salt and travel induced bloat.

For fitness, just take advantage of available activities. Take the stairs whenever possible. If you are the coast, beach walking is very different than walking on a solid surface.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    It's a holiday. I'm a firm believer that we need to enjoy ourselves. When going away, I set a reasonable goal for myself...like gaining a lb or 2 is okay. I keep strictly to an exercise routine - never waiver from that! But I let eating habits slide a bit.

Remember that, depending on what your holiday is, you are likely to be quite active - lots of walking, perhaps some swimming? Do take stairs wherever you go. But mostly...have a good time!
  • lizziebubs
    Options
    Fantastic advice from you all! thank you!

I think I will stick to making healthy choices, exercising as much as I can but enjoy being on holiday and leave the stresses of daily life behind for a little while!

It will certainly be a good test to undertake!
  • MrsSausage58
    MrsSausage58 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hi

If you've been eating 1200 calories for a while you may find that you can't eat huge portions anyway which will help.

But as everyone else has already said, just enjoy your holiday and get back to it when you get home.
  • qwertymh
    qwertymh Posts: 38
    Options
    Just enjoy your holiday :) Anything you want to have which you think is too unhealthy have it in moderation. Or pick the healthier of the "bad" foods..

Try exercising alot so you don't feel guilty too! If your going away with a pool, swim lots and lots of lengths fast to compensate. Or maybe do some water sports or go for walks, find active things to do each day :)

When I went away last year I ate well more than I normally would ever! (Damn all inclusive) but I actually came back and was the same weight!! I would get up and have breakfast and then go to the gym in the complex or go for a jog around it for a little while before sun bathing time :) afternoons I would go and play tennis and we hired bikes to go around the local area too..

If all goes to pot and you gain alot, just jump right back on it when you get home. 2 weeks is not going to make much difference

Enjoy!!
  • mmctaw
    mmctaw Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    First, remember you're on holiday! Enjoy it and don't worry even if you do gain some weight. You can lose it when you come back. If you continue to exercise and log what you eat while you're on vacation, you should be fine.

I hope you have a great time!