"Off" Days

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
Ok, so I normally switch back and forth from cardio to strength training, and back every day. Now, I see references to taking days off.
Does that mean I should take a day off from exercising completely? Or does that mean I should take a day off in between cardio/strength training days?

Replies

• msarro
    Options
    Ok, so I normally switch back and forth from cardio to strength training, and back every day. Now, I see references to taking days off.
    Does that mean I should take a day off from exercising completely? Or does that mean I should take a day off in between cardio/strength training days?
  • gabrielled
    gabrielled Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I take one day off a week from everything organized or planned, like my regular workouts. If, however, I feel like a slug, I take a long walk, ride my bike, hike a mountain, something totally different from what I usually do.
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Yesterday...I didn't do my normal workout cardio, yoga or weights routine but....

I mowed the lawn in 90 degree heat.

That is my def of a day off of working out. :tongue:

~Namaste :flowerforyou:
  • msarro
    Options
    Welp, thanks for the advice all :)
    Part of me wants to take the day off but at the same time, I feel like I should be doing *something!*
  • mzrobbie
    mzrobbie Posts: 33
    Options
    You should take a day off between weight training the same muscle group. When you lift weights, you are actually breaking down the muscle fibers. During the time off, they rebuild and get stronger. You can weight train on consecutive days, but not the same muscle group, i.e., you can do upper body one day and lower body the next. If you do your entire body in one session, then yes, skip a day before you lift again, otherwise you are interfering with the rebuilding process.

As for cardio, you can do that every day, if you really want! ;) Personally, I shoot for 7 days a week of cardio, but often end up with 5 or 6. I do pilates and strength training (total body) 3x/week.

Congrats on the 100 lbs - that is awesome!
  • LadyZen
    LadyZen Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I feel really guilty when I take a day off too. I usually take 1 day off per week, but I still go out and shoot hoops with the kids or play catch or something light. Great job on losing 100 pounds!!!!:bigsmile: You are do AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:happy: :happy: :happy: