HELP

Options
I am currently in college and lost 37 pounds however I am going home for the summer and I am worried that living at home with parents will result in a gain. I come from a home were everything is centered around food and tv! I been doing the gym 6 days a week but there is no gym and I wont be the main cooker;what can I do to assure that I keep losing at home; since I still have over 100 pounds to go! I want to succeed;is there any good workouts that are gym free? THanks for anything in advace! :)

Replies

• IsobellaGeneva
    Options
    Two pieces of advice:

1. Cook and prepare your own food.

2. Check online for workouts. I've been using the ones on sixpackfactory.com
  • keninf
    keninf Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You Tube has great videos and if you can't cook your own meals then at least watch portion sizes. Good Luck!
  • tppchef
    tppchef Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Offer to help with the cooking, so that you have some control.
  • HollieDollieeeex
    HollieDollieeeex Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Eat seperate to your family, be in control of your own life and decisions :)
    Exercise workout DVD's may be useful for you to try if there's no gym around.
  • JannaJ02
    JannaJ02 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You can get workout DVDs like the 30 Day Shred (or any of Jillian Michaels' DVDs), and there are tons of great workouts on Youtube.

As for the food issue, try and talk to your family. Let them know how hard you've been working and what your goals are - if they're understanding and supportive, they will hopefully understand where you're coming from and maybe will even help you with your goals while you're at home. But ultimately it's got to be up to you, you know? Try and have a hand in the grocery shopping - maybe your family needs educating in bringing some healthier, tasty alternatives to chips, ice cream, cookies etc into the house. If you help with the shopping and the cooking - maybe offer to cook dinner for the family a couple nights a week in exchange for them helping to stock healthy snacks for you?- you can be far more in control of what you're eating. I lived at home for a year and a half and I know how hard it is to stick to a plan when you're living with others who aren't concerned about that at all. You'll honestly have to take a lot of responsibility for yourself and step up and help with meal planning, shopping, cooking, etc. The best thing I can suggest, honestly, is to explain to your family about all your hard work and ask for their support. Don't expect them to all change their diets and routines to suit you, because that'll never happen - but if you explain how important this is to you, hopefully you guys can try and find something that works.
  • jess6741
    jess6741 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    FitnessBlender.com has a bunch of free workouts.
  • jparks341
    jparks341 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great gym free exercise.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great gym free exercise.

^^THIS^^

I started walking about 4 miles a day, not all at once, 2 miles in the AM, 2 miles in the evening. That's about 40min twice a day. I think it has made a major impact on my weight loss.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You are planning ahead - good for you!

collagevideo.com sell hundreds of exercise videos. Use this site to "shop" around ... video clips & reviews will tell you a lot before spending any money.

Does your hometown have a library? This can be a good place to get exercise DVDs.

Also, video games ... do you have a Wii or XBox? Lots of workouts there, some you can rent from RedBox.

My go-to cardio is Walk at Home with Leslie Sansone .... no brainer, no equipment needed, small space, can be very quiet. Here's one (it has light strength training as well), lots of Leslies videos on you tube also

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/leslie-sansones-belly-blasting-walk-6306
  • joyfulrunner22
    joyfulrunner22 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It will be summer so you can go out and walk, run, jump rope, hike, swim, etc. Also body weight exercises are great, pushups, squats, sit ups, etc. Shape's website has a lot of these. Investing in a few different weights might be really good too, 5lbs, 10lbs and 15lbs should get you through the summer (unless you can lift more). If you find that your being sabotaged (which I hope does not happen), wake up before everyone else and get your workout in. Maybe your family will see your transformation and get motivated with you. Invite them on your walks when you go on them. You might be very surprised.

Also cook your own food and help in the kitchen when you can.
  • hampstenj
    hampstenj Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Youtube has some REALLY intense gym free (and equipment free) workouts that really kick your *kitten*. Also walking, LOTS of walking! besides it'll be summer, should have fun and relax and enjoy outside,

also try to control the kitchen as much as you can, even if you have to sneak out to the grocery store yourself and get healthier options behind your parents back (I've had to do that one night before mom cooked goulish... needless to say 27% fat ground meat is not what I call healthy lol)

but Great for you, planning ahead is key.. keep it up :)
  • meganfoster12
    meganfoster12 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice!!!! I do have a WII with wii fit, and a jillian michaels game so I dig that out:) I need to prepare because I just want to succeed at home; the last time I was home for a week it was rough!