lone runner (not lonely, just alone)

Options
LettyM62
LettyM62 Posts: 130 Member
Hi everyone,

I've been running for about five years. I run about 4-5 times a week, with yoga, strength training and uphill walking in between. My average run is usually 4 miles; sometimes 5 or 6 ...but I have done a couple of 8 milers. My average time for a mile is about 10:30. When I do longer runs I slow my speed to about 10:45 – 11:00 so I can last longer. I don't know if that's slow or not... I've always ran by myself so I have no one to compare it to.

I've been seeing a lot of posts on MFP of people in training for half-marathons, something that seems impossible for me to do. Not that I wouldn't want to, just something that feels way out of reach, especially on those days when it's a struggle to run my usual 4. Am I selling myself short? How do you train for something like that? Where do begin...especially if you don’t have any running buddies?
Half marathon? Just a thought for now, plant the seed and see how it grows.

Replies

• JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    You are NOT selling yourself short at all! there are many people out there who cannot even run a mile! I run between a 10:00-11:00 Minute mile always, and run right around your same length. 4 Miles is the longest I have ever lasted, and I am damn proud!

To each runner their own :)
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have signed up for my first 1/2 marathon in Dec. I currently don't have any running buddies. I ran outside for as long as 60 minutes without stopping and only got 5.25 miles. It is Texas heat and humidity. I'm currently doing more cycling to keep myself in shape and run at least once on the treadmill during the week and once outside on the weekend. I know I will have do more as it gets closer.

I'm sure that you can do a 1/2 with as much running has you have done. There are several 1/2 marathon training guides that tell you do your long runs on Sat or Sun and run 2 - 3 other times during the week.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Hon, a half marathon is only 13 miles and if you've done a couple 8 mile runs, you can TOTALLY do it!! Seriously, if you're running 4 as many times as you are, that's at least 16 miles per week... your body can do it!! Just push it, girl!
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I've been running for about five years. I run about 4-5 times a week, with yoga, strength training and uphill walking in between. My average run is usually 4 miles; sometimes 5 or 6 ...but I have done a couple of 8 milers. My average time for a mile is about 10:30. When I do longer runs I slow my speed to about 10:45 – 11:00 so I can last longer. I don't know if that's slow or not... I've always ran by myself so I have no one to compare it to.

I've been seeing a lot of posts on MFP of people in training for half-marathons, something that seems impossible for me to do. Not that I wouldn't want to, just something that feels way out of reach, especially on those days when it's a struggle to run my usual 4. Am I selling myself short? How do you train for something like that? Where do begin...especially if you don’t have any running buddies?
    Half marathon? Just a thought for now, plant the seed and see how it grows.

Yes, girl, I believe you are selling yourself short. You can do whatever you put your mind and body to!! There are SO many resources to find on the internet of half marathon training schedules. (Jeff Galloway, Hal Higdon...to name a few). Find something that works for you, maybe something less aggressive especially since this would be your first Half Marathon. I have been training for my first Half Marathon since May, and my race is at the end of August. This has given me the time and confidence I need to prepare and not push myself too aggressive (this helps prevent injury on my part).

And, I've been doing this all alone. I don't have anyone that runs with me, or anyone in either my family or my husband's family that are long distance runners, so I've been learning through some wonderful people at MFP as well as doing a lot of reading & research. (when to ice, how to stretch, foods to eat before/after, time between runs, how many runs per week, etc)

As far as your speed... this is personal. Each person is different, and you can't really compare yourself with other people. Your running story & experience is completely different than someone else's. Granted, you can ask for help & advice, but when it comes down to time, the best advice I can give (even though I'm no expert) is to simply focus on finishing the Half Marathon. Just worry about getting the miles in on your first, and after that you can set your own personal records. The only person you can and should be comparing yourself to, is yourself. The thing I love about running is that everything is done on a personal level.

I can tell you this--- each time you run just a little farther than you ever have, you will feel such a huge sense of accomplishment! This weekend I finished my first ever 10 miles, and it was wonderful!!! Don't underestimate what your body can do!

As far as feeling like it seems impossible on some 4 miler days... after the first 4-5 miles your legs start carrying you without your brain telling it to. haha! You'll work up to it. Its not like you'll go from 4 miles to 9 miles. Its just not a good idea, its a gradual improvement over several weeks.

:flowerforyou:
  • lizpell
    lizpell Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi, you can do a marathon if you wanted too. I started running in april 2007, i did my first 5k in July, 10k in august and first marathon in april 2008. I weighed 13st 7 at the time. I've run on and off since because of illness and went up to 16st so 6 weeks ago i decided to run and did a 10k race yesterday and only 3mins slower than my first ever 10k. Wasn;t easy carrying the extra weight but was so happy to do it.

There's loads of books and websites you can find running plans. If you want a simple plan i can help! Just pick a race, you've got a great base mileage so you're 75% there.

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING

Go on you can do it.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Hon, a half marathon is only 13 miles and if you've done a couple 8 mile runs, you can TOTALLY do it!! Seriously, if you're running 4 as many times as you are, that's at least 16 miles per week... your body can do it!! Just push it, girl!

I totally agree with this! :smile: I don't want to say that everyone is able to be a long distance runner, but I think you can do it. Take a look at some of the training programs out there. There are some pretty cool ones set up to help you increase your speed and distance. You can try Nike+ (I think you can use the coach even without the Ipod and sensor). If you are able to push yourself to 6 then you will be able to push yourself further! You already know what it takes........ Just DO it! :happy:
  • rvanderpool3
    rvanderpool3 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started running back in November and have completed 2 half marathon distance runs. Much like you, I also run about 4 miles a day with a couple of 5+ runs sprinkled in. There are some days when I can barely make 3 miles. I think that sometimes your body needs a break from hard training. Usually, the bad days are sign that I have pushed too far. I agree with everyone else, if you are making 8 miles runs, 13.1 miles is certainly within your range. 13.1 is just a number. If you are already going 8, you can do it!
  • lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Letty, you could definitely do a half marathon if you've already got a couple of 8 +/- milers under your belt.

And fwiw, i run alone all the time. Honestly, i can't even remember the last time i ran with someone...none of my friends run. I'm lucky if i see the same people on occassion when I'm out running and not on the tm. If it's important to you to run with others, then go to or call your local running shoe store and see if they have any running clubs. there's usually a wide range of speeds, and i'm sure at 10-11 mm, you'll find someone to run with.

If you choose to do it on your own, like others said, pick a training plan your comfortable with. runnersworld.com has a bunch, nike has some and my preference, is halhigdon.com. he's got training plans for all levels of runners.

And, i'll just throw this out there. I live in Colorado where some of the fastest runners in the world live because they choose to train at high altitude. There is no way I will ever win a race, ever place in a race or probably even get an age group award. Do i care? Not one bit. I am out there competing against myself because i love to run. It is who I am. I will NEVER be running 6 minute miles (or 7...maybe 8 if a bear is chasing me, lol). And that's okay. I just do my best. :drinker:

Lisa
  • LettyM62
    LettyM62 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the encouragement and support. I'll take your advise and check out the websites you've reccommended. It never ceases to amaze me the amount of knowledge and support offered by all MFP friends! :smile: