Best Exercise Device to sync with MFP

Options
Hi I am new to using MFP and would appreciate advice or suggestions on an exercise tracker that syncs with the My Fitness Pal iPhone app.
In particular I am wondering about the FitBit Ultra, can any one give any pros or cons for this device or similar please?
Is there a subscription you need to pay?
Thanks
Martin

Replies

• imjusme
    imjusme Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia Fit armband....identical to the BodyBugg and also the same device used on the Biggest Loser. I find that it is extremely accurate even when compared to my heart rate monitor. I bought the heart rate monitor because my BodyMedia or BM doesn't register spin/elliptical the way I thought it should. It is because it measures five different things your body does (ie temp/movement/vibration) and when a non-impact workout is performed it is missing the vibration monitoring causes by pounding feet. The company recommended moving the band from the top of the arm to the lower arm but I use mine on my leg during spin and it's super close to my heart rate monitor.
    Now, my friend has a FitBit, she loved it at first when we started working out together. BUT, it isn't accurate. It will even measure steps while in the car...it only can measure movement vs the BM which measure a zillion (look them up). When we compared steps after a four mile jog/walk mine were always thousands lower than hers.
    Also, look into the Jawbone Up, this one is cute, easy to wear, and has similar functions as the BM. I dont think it is as accurate because it is just worn on the wrist.
    Both the BM and FitBit seem to sync well with MFP. Its funny to see how many extra calories MFP gives for exercise vs what you are actually burning!
  • imjusme
    imjusme Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Forgot to say, FitBit doesn't have a subscription.....BM does. I pay month to month 6.95. If you pay for a year or two it gets cheaper but I tend to get bored easily and once I know how my body responds to different workouts I won't use it anymore. (I used the BM about 3-4 years ago and lost significant weight and stopped using it after I felt confident in what I was doing).
  • martin90r2
    martin90r2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much. I was hoping to avoid a subscription but its good to see your comments on accuracy that is helpful to know. Thanks all advice appreciated.