Strength Training vs. Cardio

Options
:wink: So does doing your strength training with weights not use any calories? I thought it would but noticed it does not add anything when you log it. Just the cardio? I would like to know just for my piece of mind. Thanks...

Replies

• sagithia
    sagithia Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It does burn more calories but transaltes in more muscles which means it burns fat for much longer. Keep doing it!
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    If you look under add exercise in cardio section, you'll see strength/weight training... It'll give you calories for the time frame you put in :)
  • karenga
    karenga Posts: 28
    Options
    If you go into the cardio and put in strength it will add weight lifting in there.
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Go under the cardio section and search "strength training" there you can put in the calories burned. Best way to know how many is a HRM.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    The strength training portion of the exercise tab is to allow you to keep a record of how many reps/sets you did of a particular exercise. To log the calories burned for strength training, add it under the Cardio section as Strength Training.
  • tameka1220
    tameka1220 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    right. i don't think mfp has a way to incorporate that into ur calories. but i'm with her "keep doing it"!! I'm on my 2nd week of strengthening, thought my body parts were gonna fall off after the 1st day, i couldnt walk, climb stairs without ouching for 3 days straight!! i'm better now though and cant wait to see what my results will be after a month
  • tameka1220
    tameka1220 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    ohhhhh i see it!! good to know that!!
  • kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I added my own exercise category for my strength training, and I don't know if it shows up for everyone:
    "Weight Training, measured by HRM" (heart rate monitor)
  • summerjoy0621
    summerjoy0621 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Awesome... I will have to get a HRM. Also I will do what you all suggested and put it in as strength training in my cardio. LOL My boyfriend is going to kick me cause he was starving last night but didn't want to go over his calories. Thanks everyone I love getting info from you all! :wink:
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    It does burn more calories but transaltes in more muscles which means it burns fat for much longer. Keep doing it!

People would be surprised to realize that the metabolic rate of muscle tissue is much lower than what they assume. Also, fat burns calories too.

Don't get me wrong, I think strength training is very important. But not for the reasons many folks toss around.

I also think it's important to realize that just because you're picking up and putting down weights, that doesn't necessarily mean you're "strength training." In fact, you can do cardio with weight assuming the load and rest periods are low enough and the volume is high enough.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Weight training is important for increasing lean muscle mass. You can't get an accurate calorie burn (even with a HRM) but don't let that stop you... building lean muscle is crucial to reaching your fitness goals!

PS.. this will help explain why it's difficult to get an accurate calorie burn. http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75