Help! I hate running!

Options
I am 24, 5'3, and 144 pounds. I really dont like running AT ALL...is it possible for me to still achieve some type of results if I do elliptical 4 days a week? I get so deiscouraged when I know that I have to run. I usually just give up the idea of working out if I have to run. lol it IS that serious! lol. I really want to get to 130. Is there a safe way for a 144 pounder to lose 2 pounds a week? Would love to lose 16lbs in 2 months!!

Replies

• JannaJ02
    JannaJ02 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You can definitely lose weight without running. I'm not a fan of running either, but my trainer makes me do intervals on the treadmill (1 min walking, 1 min running, etc) so I've actually gotten more used to it. Running is great because it burns a lot of calories in a shorter amount of time, but you can definitely get results from the elliptical. Just make sure the resistance is turned up! It shouldn't feel like a walk in the park. :p
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    If you don't like running, don't run. There are tons of exercise options for you. Try out a few cardio classes (Zumba, Turbo Kick, Kickboxing, etc.) and see what you like. Once you find something you like, keep doing it. Have you considered adding strength training as well? It is very good for you and can help you reach your goals.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    If you don't like running, don't run. You really should set fitness goals independent of your weight loss goals...calorie burns, etc. You'll thank yourself in the long run and you'll find your exercises to be much more enjoyable rather than a task or chore.

If you're using the MFP method and using the calorie goal they established, that calorie goal has a weight loss deficit built in. There is actually no reason you would need to exercise using MFP other than for fitness considering you're supposed to eat back your exercise calories.

Use your diet for weight control; exercise for fitness.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    If you don't like running, don't run. There are tons of exercise options for you. Try out a few cardio classes (Zumba, Turbo Kick, Kickboxing, etc.) and see what you like. Once you find something you like, keep doing it. Have you considered adding strength training as well? It is very good for you and can help you reach your goals.

I second this! Also, it is unlikely with just that much to lose that you can achieve 2 pound a week in a healthy manner (or maybe even at all).
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have lost 178 pounds without running. I don't care for running, Plus, it's bad for your knees. I prefer walking, hiking, swimming, and lifting weights. You can burn a lot of calories swimming. I also live near the mountains and walking and hiking is also good exercise.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    There's no need to run if you don't like it. It is cheap and easy, but it is also sucky and unfun. Find exercise you like and do that - whatever you pick is going to be better than the running you don't do because you hate it.

As far as losing 2 lbs a week, that's not going to be particularly healthy. The rule of thumb is a max of 1% of your bodyweight per week, so that's 1.4 lbs for you now and gets smaller as you lose. But it will be easier if you start at 1 lb/week and move to .5 when you get closer to your goal.
  • Hadunka
    Hadunka Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I prefer walking on the treadmill - with a incline 7-9, speed 4,7 km/hour. And you can burn about 500-600 kcal/hour.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Find an exercise you enjoy. For me it's bicycle riding.

Two pounds per week is aggressive...but doable.

Good luck!
  • andreabrabham
    andreabrabham Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Great tips!! I think I want to try kickboxing, swimming (even though I cant, its still a good workout trying lol), and walk on the treadmill with the incline. I feel so much better now! LIFE SAVERS!! I will just lose 1 lb a week because MFP won't even let me. I guess I will have to take it one week at a time. I will get there eventually. I just want to get to the point where I look forward to exercising! PLEASE COME SOON :-/
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I dislike running as well. Sooo right now I am spending time walking on the treadmill, using the 2 different kinds of bikes at the gym and SWIMMING!! (which I love). I think I would like to add in a group class and finally face the elliptical again. You could also try at home kind of workouts like HIIT where you are doing jumping jacks and stuff like that.