Vitamins

andyxbear
andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
I already take a womens' multivitamin (Viactive + Calcium) and have for years. I also take folic acid & B-12 (when I remember).

_________________________________________________________________________________
VIACTIV® Multi-Vitamin Soft Chews give you optimal levels of 12 essential vitamins including vitamins A, B6, B12, C, D, E, Biotin, Folic Acid, Niacin, Thiamin, Riboflavin, plus Calcium - to promote these healthy lifestyle benefits:

Bone Strength - Calcium, Vitamins A and D
Energy Activation - Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B6, Biotin
Eye Health - Vitamins A, C and E
Skin Health - Vitamins A and C, Biotin, Niacin
Immune Health - Vitamins A, C and E
__________________________________________________________________________________

I was just trying to see if I needed to take any extra Vitamin C & D supplements as well & how much of each, or am I okay with what I am already taking? I can't seem to find any charts anywheres with suggestions listed. =/

Replies

• geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    It's good to add Vitamine D during winter if you live up north but you multi-vitamin may already include enough.

You shouldn't feel too concerned about missing vitamins if you have a balanced diet containing mostly fresh and whoole food.
  • bigcoon103
    bigcoon103 Posts: 30
    Your fine with what your taking, unless your trying to help the joints or your doctor told you too.MSM/Glucose-min is good for the joints if you work out a lot. I take it, it seems to be helping. If you take extra vitamins your body uses what it need and flushes out the rest.
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Your fine with what your taking, unless your trying to help the joints or your doctor told you too.MSM/Glucose-min is good for the joints if you work out a lot. I take it, it seems to be helping. If you take extra vitamins your body uses what it need and flushes out the rest.

That is incorrect. Taking extra vitamins can be harmful, if you exceed the UL (tolerable upper intake) for the vitamin. For instacance, more than 2000 mg of vitamin C is toxic, as is more than 1 mg of folic acid. The fat soluble vitamins (ADEK) are stored in your body, and thus these are the ones that extra intake can really be harmful for.

That being said, there is tons of research around that we do not get enough vitamin D, so i think you would be fine adding in extra vitamin D, and in fact that this would be a good idea.
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Thanks everyone. I believe I already get enough (I live in the south & is almost always in the sun), but I think I'll take the vitamin D every other day or every two days to help out in case it's needed.
This discussion has been closed.