Beginner jogger...C25K

Options
I just started the C25K program on Sunday. I have done 2 sessions so far and my legs are sore constantly. Does this pain ever go away. I can barely get out of bed in the mornings. I have been steadily exercising for the past 2 years, but this is my first attempt at jogging. I never dreamed I would hurt this bad. I've also gained 2 pounds since Sunday. I'm hoping it's just fluid from my muscles trying to rebuild themselves.....

Please share your experiences with beginning this program and what happened with your weight and body during the beggining stages. I'm a 31 year old female. I'm 5'4" and weigh 215 pounds (but, I weighed in at 217 on Tuesday).

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Did you already have a good walking base? If not, maybe start there, and pull back on the jogging intervals a bit. Check your speed, your jogging intervals don't have to be fast. Go for endurance first, speed will come later. Also, make sure that you are warming up and cooling down properly and get in some good, post run/walk stretching.
  • cbhutton
    cbhutton Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I started C25k on Jan 1. I was sore for a few days, but am still going strong. I get sore if I up the mileage now (10 miler a couple weeks ago), but it passes!

Keep up the good work!!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Were you doing any cardio before you started? I was really out of shape when I started C25K. My legs hurt a little bit the first few times, but it wasn't as bad as you're describing.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will be sore at first. Yes, you will stop being as sore further into the program.

Don't be so quick to see scale results. Give it a couple weeks. C25k is a great beginning program, but, like any exercise program, it's not magic. You will see results over time.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Shorte,r easier strides and make sure you have good proper running shoes for those feet of yours! speed is not important, accuracy is. Make sure your form is well off and use your core muscles to help you scoot along.
  • DavidKBrewer
    Options
    Where is the pain? Shins? Calves? All of them?

It may be as simple as changing the shoes that you wear. Shoes that don't fit properly to your running style can cause all kinds of pains. Also, the surface that you're running on. If it's a sidewalk, that will cause pain as well.

As others have said, make sure that you're not going too fast. Eventually pains go away from running as you get stronger, but if they don't then there could be another problem.
  • bella51708
    Options
    Yeah, I have been doing cardio for 2 years. Mostly, treadmill walking, zumba, and walking DVD's. I've always been a little sore with these, but not like this. I think I may be pushing it too hard on the jogging segments. I will maybe tone it down a bit to start with. I wear a HRM and after my jogging intervals, my heart rate is at about 85-88%. After doing my 30 minutes yesterday, my monitor said I had burned 566 calories. Is that possible?

I do 10 minutes of walking warm up and 10 minutes of walking cool-down. I also stretch when I get done with my cool down.

I'm going to keep pushing through and see what happens as I get further into it.
  • themelmac
    themelmac Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Have you also been stretching before and after? When I started C25K, once I started stretching, a lot of my soreness went away.

Just search for running stretches and you'll find a bunch.
  • qwertymh
    qwertymh Posts: 38
    Options
    You will be a little sore at first, but shouldn't be excesively so.. try slowing down your pace a little?

If it continues to hurt have a couple rest days and then cross train, still there, I'd go get checked out, just incase you have injured something and rest won't simply cure it.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I just did my first day yesterday and I am slightly sore in my lower belly and groin area and my calves. I can not believe that I actually completed the first day and now I'm looking forward to doing it again tommorrow. I have been walkng at an incline for a few months now so maybe that is why I am not too sore. I think I jogged at 3.8mph on the treadmill and walked at 3mph-Super slow I know but that was about as much as I could do.
  • bella51708
    Options
    Most of the pain is in my thighs (inner and outer), shins, and hips. I just bought a new pair of Nike running shoes over the weekend. They were comfortable in the store, but when I walk and job in them, they do make my feet feel kind of weird. Like they are moving my feet in an unatural position. My right foot feels like the shoes forces it to lean to the inside.....
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Try a foam roller before and after running, they've been a god send for me.
  • keninf
    keninf Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Most of the pain is in my thighs (inner and outer), shins, and hips. I just bought a new pair of Nike running shoes over the weekend. They were comfortable in the store, but when I walk and job in them, they do make my feet feel kind of weird. Like they are moving my feet in an unatural position. My right foot feels like the shoes forces it to lean to the inside.....

I would go to a store where your stride can be evaluated and you can be fitted for shoes that are suitable. It sounds like you are straining your legs and thighs maybe due to the sensation you have from your feet when you run in your shoes. There are so many shoes out there and so many different ways in which your stride and how your foot impacts/lifts off that can add to pain. It is totally worth it.

Good Luck!
  • linsiwalker
    Options
    Sounds like your shoes may be a big part of the problem. I would consider taking the Nikes back and going to a running store that will fit you to the appropriate shoe for your foot structure and walking style - that makes a world of a difference. Mizuno also has an app on their website that will show you how to test your own foot structure/walking style and give you suggestions as to what kind of shoe support you need.

Before I started the C25K program, I was doing lots of incline walking on a treadmill (HR zone cardio) and some high intensity cardio with a boxing class - no soreness when I started the jogging. Good luck! I think it's a great program. My sister and I just finished Week 3 Day 3 and it keeps getting easier!
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I read it takes 2-3 weeks. Hang in there, I just started myself.
  • balogda1
    balogda1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The best advice i've received was, 1. Get good shoes, they will make a world of difference. 2. Watch evolution running and try some of their recomendations about running form. It's free and helped me go a little faster/farther. 3. Be consistant with your workouts. Go at least three times a week, or you will see a decrease in your capabilities. I hope this is helpful. Good luck, and hang in there.
  • bella51708
    Options
    I bought a pair of New Balance yesterday and went for a walk/jog in them and they are much better. I'm going to keep the Nike's because I like them, but I will only wear those to town and such. For my exercises, I will stick with New Balance.

And after 3 sessions, my soreness has eased and it's actually a pleasent soreness now. Kind of like a toned feeling. It's wierd, but I like it.

Thanks to everyone for their responses.